Anzacon 2023 - Sat 29th April to Sunday 30th April - Melbourne (AUS) Final Call

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
ANZACon 2023 is a go!!

Date: Sat 29th April and Sunday 30th April 2023

Venue: Scout Hall 73-77 Leamington St, Reservoir VIC 3073 (35 min drive from CBD) - Train Station (Reservoir) 10 min walk

Cost: $40 for both days.

TD: Andrew Rogers (Hatten in Flames creator) -

We have about 12 players - a few more will be great!!

As per last time, Andy will have a variety of scenario for us to enjoy!!

Andy in the process of finalizing scenarios, OB and maps. An email with what you need to bring will sent in the next few days.

Registration still open - please join us.

Cheers

Joe

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

as per Andy's email (our TD):

The pieces for ANZACON are listed below. I am pretty sure these scenarios have not been used in previous tournaments. There will be four rounds.

ANZACON 2023
DAY ONE

Boards – Kharkov HASL map (Andy to supply); 32, 50
Overlays - none
Russian (plus NKVD), SS (mid-war: 5-4-8s / 4-6-8s), Japanese, Commonwealth infantry
Russian 45L ATG
SS SPW 251/9 (75*, no CMG, Note 64), 3 x PSW 232 (33MP, 20L, 3 front armor, Note 72), 2 x 251/1 (normal HT)
=======
DAY TWO
Boards 12a, 32
Overlays O5, OW1
German, Commonwealth, SS (late-war: 6-5-8s), US infantry
German: 88L AA gun, 81* MTR
SS: 3 x JgPz IV (13MP, 75L, Note 52)
Commonwealth: 2 x Sherman V(a) (13MP, Note 14), 3 x Stuart V(a) (17MP, Note 4)
US: M4A3(76)W, M4A3(75)W (both 15MPs, Note 13 & 16)
=======
BOTH DAYS - SPARE
Boards 38, 42
Overlays O5, X28, X9
Japanese, Chinese infantry
Japanese: Type 92 70* INF
(Note: in the scenario add the Japanese balance to the Japanese at-start set up)

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
ANZACON 2023

Saturday 29 April - Sunday 30 April

Tournament director Andy Rogers

8 players.

All scenarios featured ABS provisions provided by Andy (which didn't end up being used by me in any game).

Round 1 29/4/22 AM

FV10 Recon West (playtest)

No bids, as Rob is a newbie player and he felt more comfortable with the Russians.

Opponent: Rob Newbury

Result: German victory.

1/0

Round 2 29/4/22 PM

SP126 Malignant Mahratas

Opponent: Tim Reade

I have played twice before as Japanese (and won both times), so I wanted to play the Indians, and Tim agreed, so no bids.

Scenario is probably a little pro-Japanese.

Result: Japanese victory.

1/1

Round 3 30/4/22 AM

AP141 Currie's Favor

Opponent: Howard Jones

Howard is another newbie, so agreed to play as Germans to avoid complexities of tanks, so no bids.

Funniest event: broken Canadian 8-1 and 4-5-7 forced to surrender to German 2-3-8 (who had to accept the surrender per SSR). Immediate CC followed by attack of Canadian 10-2, 8-0 and a 4-5-8. Canadians were ambushed (!), but Howard decided to fight it out rather than withdraw. His attack failed; Canadians rolled Snakes, generated a 7-0, re-armed half of the ex-prisoners, freed the 8-1 and left an unarmed HS to spend the rest of the game wandering around looking for weapons.

Result: Canadian win.

2/1

Round 4 30/4/22 PM

SP128 Rupee Reward

Opponent: Eric Topp

Diced for sides, I got Japanese.

Scenario feels a little pro-Chinese; we played with Japanese balance per Andy's advice, but I think more is needed. Things were looking grim for the Japanese for most of the game, but a late-game run of very good luck turned things around.

Funniest event: at one point when a Chinese Elite squad was attacked, it rolled snakes and created a Hero. A couple of turns later, another attack on the same stack ended up killing that Hero ... but the squad rolled snakes again and created another Hero. We didn't even take the counter off the board. (Subsequent attacks later yielded much better results for the Japanese, as the hex was cleared of Chinese units by a series of fortunate DR.)

Result: Japanese win.

3/1

Tournament winner was Jonathan Woodger, who defeated David Wallace.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
another attack on the same stack ended up killing that Hero ... but the squad rolled snakes again and created another Hero. We didn't even take the counter off the board. (Subsequent attacks later yielded much better results for the Japanese, as the hex was cleared of Chinese units by a series of fortunate DR.)
Lazy bums.
Serves the Chinese right for not replacing the Hero.
Thanks for the AAR.