Anything new in RS?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The Japanese Type 100 SMG:

wikipedia said:
Unusually for a submachine gun (but typical of Japanese weapons of the era), a bayonet lug was fixed under the barrel, in this case with a heavy bar and lug.
Ah, the Japanese...

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Nambu was a wimpy round.
Agreed, and the Aberdeen Proving Ground boys seemed to agree with you. Makes me ponder the " side folding stock hinge creates unacceptable instability in the mount during firing cycles" of this SMG as noted in the Proving Ground records. If a gutless round would cause inherent issues with that hinge, imagine what a decent round like a 9mmP or a 7.62 x 25 would cause.

KRL, Jon H

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed, and the Aberdeen Proving Ground boys seemed to agree with you. Makes me ponder the " side folding stock hinge creates unacceptable instability in the mount during firing cycles" of this SMG as noted in the Proving Ground records. If a gutless round would cause inherent issues with that hinge, imagine what a decent round like a 9mmP or a 7.62 x 25 would cause.

KRL, Jon H
It must be remembered that the Brits used a over powered 9mm to use in their SMGs. The Japanese may have done the same. Either way this could lead us to a 5-2-8 Para squad for Japan. I would underline all the values on this unit. P.S. Some of that British ammo came to America a few years back. Warnings were sent out with lot numbers saying not to shoot this stuff in a hand gun.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It must be remembered that the Brits used a over powered 9mm to use in their SMGs. The Japanese may have done the same. Either way this could lead us to a 5-2-8 Para squad for Japan. I would underline all the values on this unit. P.S. Some of that British ammo came to America a few years back. Warnings were sent out with lot numbers saying not to shoot this stuff in a hand gun.
captured ammunition stocks would tend to disagree that anything other than a relatively meagre round was used. Given an inherent instability of design to handle projected recoil, it is doubtful any idea of using an overpowered round was seriously considered in any folding stock version.

I can see a use in SSRing in a 2-2-8 or 4-4-8 to represent such armed units of Falling Sparrow SNLF paratroops. ( If that is one can cite sufficient evidence that such units jumped at least partially armed with these in hand , rather than in weapons canisters. )

There is no evidence whatsoever I can locate at this time that there was ever an overpowered round in this calibre being mass manufactured for use in full automatic blowback action weapons.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
captured ammunition stocks would tend to disagree that anything other than a relatively meagre round was used. Given an inherent instability of design to handle projected recoil, it is doubtful any idea of using an overpowered round was seriously considered in any folding stock version.

I can see a use in SSRing in a 2-2-8 or 4-4-8 to represent such armed units of Falling Sparrow SNLF paratroops. ( If that is one can cite sufficient evidence that such units jumped at least partially armed with these in hand , rather than in weapons canisters. )

There is no evidence whatsoever I can locate at this time that there was ever an overpowered round in this calibre being mass manufactured for use in full automatic blowback action weapons.
It is my opinion that the Japanese SMGs dropped with the rest of the equipment. It was a bulky weapon.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is my opinion that the Japanese SMGs dropped with the rest of the equipment. It was a bulky weapon.
given that, ( I am aware of a few reference books out there I do not own personally, I only have a single book form the Osprey Warrior series on this at first hand, and the D/L'ed reports from the Aberdeen testing postwar that are cited upthread on the web.) One might suggest that the partly armed squad would NOT have Assault or Spray fire capabilities; but the armed 4-4-8 would have both.

At least how I would address it in a scenario design if the references I was viewing indicated what you stated.

Hope that helps

KRL, Jon H

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I need to get one of my books out of storage. It may help on this subject. I could go with a 4-4-8 MMC but if armed with the type 100 SMG the range may be to much.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As far as something new, I heard something about the Lewis MG being included. Is this true, and for what nationality?

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice counter! I saw one in use in some Bogart movie. Now I have to save up and get RS!

Didn't other nations use the Lewis gun early in the War?

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, isn't that an official counter already? I dimly remember having it seen somewhere in my punched stuff and habitually only punch some of my AH/MMP couters.

von Marwitz
As far as MMP, this is new and welcomed!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hm, isn't that an official counter already? I dimly remember having it seen somewhere in my punched stuff and habitually only punch some of my AH/MMP couters.
No, the 2PP American LMG has not been published as an official counter before.