• ASL and Other's systems

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was wondering about the different gaming systems that people play besides MMP ASL, if any?

Categories are broad but try to pick the fit that describes the majority of your gaming.

Keith

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More than anything else I play euro games (settlers mostly). However, not much of that recently.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played hundreds of wargames, and some Euros. These days, ASL takes up most of my time. However, once or twice a month I do social, Euro- or multiplayer gaming, and every now and then I get a chance to do something else. At WBC this past year, I took part in the ASL tournament but also the tournaments for Atlantic Storm (made it to the semis), History of the World, We the People, and Vinci (where I took 2nd place).

For many years in the 1990s, the Europa system was my real passion. Probably my favorite wargame other than ASL, though, is We the People. I also love some games I never get a chance to play, such as Empires in Arms.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play ASL almost exclusively now, but was interested in many wargames before. I still have a fondness for any North Africa game (Fall of Tobruk, Operation Crusader, Triumphant Fox, and The Legend Begins are still favorites) as well as an interest in naval and air games.

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL.
I also like The Gamers SCS/TCS/OCS, although I have yet to play a TCS game.
GMT's POG type games I enjoy, although I question how many times you can play them before they get stale.
AH/MMP Impulse
I am looking forward to LBGs version 2 for their Battlelines. I like the game, but the current rules are terrible.
and my son loves Heroscape, so I play that pretty much every day. (or Chicker Cha Cha Cha, Memoir '44 Lite, Gulo Gulo)

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
ASL still the most played for me.
Also play Gamers stuff, principally CWB/RSS. I'd love to get into OCS one day.
GBoH features now and then. My main ftf opponent enjoys the card-driven games (I get to try PoG for the first time on Thursday), so they come out every now and then.
Looking at getting into the grand tactical 17C to Napoleonic stuff out there (e.g., Musket & Pike, Age of Reason).

Mike Murphy

Cat's servant
Reaction score
I'm balancing between three different game systems these days:

1. ASL for when nothing else will do! :devil:

2. ATS for when I want to take things a little easy (except of course for trying to decipher the rules). :hush:

3. PG kind of brings back the best of the PB/PL days. ;)

Mike

Last edited:

paulkenny

Reaction score
There is ASL and then there is Life including work, family, kids, new house, selling old house, etc, etc etc

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SL was my first real love for wargaming ...

tried Europa games ... scale didn't feel right ....maps and counters to bland .. liked most of the rules but......

then moved onto The Gamers OCS, TCS, line of games. Loved the scale in OCS supply consumption for vehicles (limiting movement or attacking anything in sight knee jerk reactions).. TCS is also a nice departure from the more intense ASL (my latest passion)

I'm hooked on ASL (started about 1 1/2 yrs ago)and it will always be my first choice for playing but will play the occasional TCS or OCS games .....

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I promised myself that I would not let ASL eclipse my other gaming interests, which (as my avatar suggests) revolve around naval games and Napoleonics. I've collected the entire Great War at Sea series from Avalanche, for example, along with various tactical naval subsystems. I've also tried many of the tactical/grand tactical Napoloenic games. GMT's Triumph and Glory was recently on the table. The big exception here are the La Bataille games, of which someone over on CSW recently wrote: "The series takes a lot of effort. I think most new players will need to play the game consistently if not exclusively for months before they really "get" it - and in my experience a break of a few weeks, or fatigue from a long day at work, can cause you to forget how to handle some of the more complicated processes, like cavalry actions." :horse:

Consistent if not exclusive play--sound familiar? :argh:

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Mostly ASL, but also Up Front (eagerly waiting for the new edition to come out!), Gamer's Standard Combat System (Stlgrd pocket, Adennes, Crusader, etc.), History of the World, Settlers, Memoir'44, Axis and Allies, Across 5 Aprils, This Accursed Civil War (GMT)...
ASL takes 90% of my wargaming time.
Besides it, I look for "beer and pretzels" games, as ASL is the only "monster" game I do want to spend time, energy and money for...

Pfc TAZ

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llUnited States
I'm curently working on my MBA thesis. So I have limited play time. I allow myself one ASL game at a time, but before the thesis I only played ASL and PC strategy games.

I've looked into and purchased some ATS and Panzer Granadier, but have never played them.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My first love was SL/ASL; played solo for 20+ years before stumbling into a fairly sizeable and active local group. But, when ASL seemed to be withering on the vine, I got into some Avalanche systems: GWaS, PG and Decisive Battles. When The General started the fatal slip towards Doily coverage, the writeup on GD '41 led me to discover The Gamers, from whom there is little I do not now play. In particular, the CWR series of late, though all their systems are first rate.

Of late, as the once sizeable and active group has dwindled in size and frequency, I have discovered Paths of Glory which I have been dabbling in. The siren call of ASL yet beckons as the NY Tourney looms close, hopefully leading to some spiking of activity locally as a result.

I have found at times the nearly total immersion in ASL requires a break now and again into other games less intense in nature.

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At this point I am an ASL only person. I have some of my favs still around like Kingmaker, Woodenships, 3rd Reich, but the only new stuff I buy is ASL related

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And how many other wargames have you played, Peter, that allows you to say that?

Rico

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Primarily ASL, but I have a new liking for HPS Panzer Campaigns series of computer games via PBeM.

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL and Up Front get practically dailey attention and play. I don't feel I have the time to get into anything else, in depth. Medal of Honor grabbed my interest for a bit last winter, but the novelty of shooting stuff up on the PC wears off after a while.