Anyone want a custom ASL (or other game) map?

SandyWhite90

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone,

I've spent some considerable time making a host of template files and images.
I can now make some ASL maps that I think people would not mind using.
As this is my hobby - these that I post are free on my site: http://sdrv.ms/1btjyTz so please grab them and let me know your thoughts!
Ideas welcome at all times! I enjoy making these maps, and can do them in a resonable amount of time.

For a quick thumbnail, just visit my GameSquad page.

(if this should be posted elsewhere, please let me know as I did to a search)

Thanks,
Sandy

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Sandy!

Those are some cool looking boards, I'll see about VASL'izing them and if that is okay I'll put them on my github site?

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Love the look of the these boards! Are the colors VASL compatible? Maybe not a big deal as SSR changes may not be something that needs to be supported. -David

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Very attractive! Too bad MMP didn't hire you for the board bundle.

SandyWhite90

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all!
dlazov - Sure, go ahead and VASL them please. If there is a way that you can note me in the comments, it would be appreciated.
Michael - you just wait - as it took me a LONG time to make my template libraries, but I can make maps very quickly, so there will be more soon!
I am going to really try to give maps that are simply not out there - weather specific, season specific, and board sets that can be put together to make a larger map for specific play while still geomorphic to use with the existing set.

Any and all Ideas are welcome!

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Will do on your name.

Can you make a template for the new Fort/Kibler boards? That would be cool, and maybe make some no roads wilderness boards? (PTO/Russia)

SandyWhite90

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
EEsh. I am sorry but what are the Fort/Kibler boards? I think I remember that Kibler made the RB boards but what are the Fort boards? What are you thinking concerning these boards? Let me know. Yeah, wilderness boards will be cool.
I'll kraft some up just for you!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I was going to do the Hells Corner map, but have never found the time to launch into it. If you are interested, please IM me, and I can arrange to send you the scan. That one would put a smile on several people's faces.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

SandyWhite90

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like I might have miss-communicated, this map appears to be 'done' and am not sure what I am to do with it?
I will get you the resized maps to 1799x645 and will actually make this my new thumbnail size for ease.
Apologies for confusion.

SandyWhite90

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New folder on my site! VASL Size.
All of the maps are in the 1799x645 for VASL while the other folders are the high res ones you can use for high quality prints.

SandyWhite90

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to everyone again for positive comments!
Does anyone still play ASL with the boards printed boards?
Looks like my designs will have to wait a while for VASL and the palette that they have approved. It makes sense for VASL to keep a consistent look and feel.
I remember loving the color boards because there was nothing like them in the industry - they were wonderful to look at as well as play on.
That is what I am trying to do - just make some beautiful boards and if someone plays on them - super!

I saw some multi-board sets that were very interesting - I am thinking that could be fun to do.
I am also making an Urban Decay set where most of the locale is rubble or large factories.

Please keep sending me your ideas - I'm partnering on a monster board HASL right now and having a blast! (No more info from me...)

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like my designs will have to wait a while for VASL and the palette that they have approved. It makes sense for VASL to keep a consistent look and feel.
If I were you I won't place a high priority on VASL v5 color compatibility. It is necessary if you want to use SSR terrain changes, but given there are no scenarios for your boards yet I'd publish them in the existing colors. Many HASL maps do not use the V5 pallet.

-David

SandyWhite90

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the advice, as I just want people to use them and if they can be used in VASL - then all the better!

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Do these have enough resolution to be printed out larger than normal, say on a ledger sized sheet?

Paul Chicoine

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi Sandy, I have a project that I'm doing that I need a couple maps for. I have a system that I've designed called MASL (Macro ASL), which is a new style of ASL module. I need a couple operational level maps of the battle-space. One is called "Operation Market Garden - Nijmegen" and the other is "Advance to the Moselle". I need the maps in VASSAL format, where the scale is 1200 meters per hex. These maps are the macro board (operational campaign) board, and battles generated there are resolved as ASL scenarios. I've been perfecting this system since the 80s. Now its time to VASSALize it so everyone can play. Its the next thing beyond HASL modules that create monster scenarios. MASL produces unique fog of war scenarios with consequences that fit into a bigger picture. No longer do you fight to the death regardless of losses in the last turns, instead you think and act like a real commander. Let me know if your interested in working on this.