Anyone upgrade to Windows 10 yet?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
What are your impressions and which operating system did you upgrade from?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, from Win 8.whatever. I like it much better than Win 8. The new browser so far seems pretty good too.

The only hiccup I had was with iCloud. Nothing synced after the Win 10 upgrade but the solution was easy, bring up the iCloud panel, sign out, sign back in and it all synced correctly after that.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been waiting for someone else to go first. :D Glad to hear you had a relatively painless experience with the upgrade. Guess I should give it a go soon. Most of the reviews I've read say that this is one of the better Windows to come along. Gaming wise, I've only read about marginal improvements in performance over Win 8.1, but Direct X 12 has a ton of potential. Good article here:

http://hothardware.com/reviews/windows-10-vs-windows-8-game-performance

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Still on Windows 7... I'm sure I read there was going to me a major update to W10 around October. I was going to wait until then.

BOOMER400

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a Lenovo thinkpad tablet that I upgraded from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10. W10 is ok and least in its' "stock" form shares some backward usability with 7. While still retaining the tile from 8, you can use a modified taskbar similar to 7. Not quite the same as the standard shell/task menu but it's much more usable. Think that the Classic Shell utility is a better fit for most typical users but if you don't really have to have it, the standard OEM shell works ok.

I've used LoL and Pillars of Eternity on it which both were installed on the 8.1 OS so that stuff made it across ok through the upgrade. Standard utilities like CCleaner, AV, Malwarebytes work fine as well. Openoffice is ok too on it. No real problems other than having to find some Lenovo specific drivers for weird firmware and 8/8.1 versions of those seem to have worked ok.

It had a major update a couple of days ago and made it through fine; just make sure your disk is clean (chkdsk /R) , there's enough free space, the existing OS is patched up and cleaned up (no unusual Event errors).

PS : probably should check 1st for latest drivers too, I had to do that after getting through the install anyways for specialized things.

Last edited:

Joelist

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm on Win 10 on a ThinkPad Carbon X1. It is a nice OS and runs nice and fast.

digitaldowns

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I upgrade my operating system from window 7 to win 10. But believe me window 7 is still better than win 10. Window 10 is heavy and not functioning property. I recommend to just keep win 7 for now.

Hermans

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Jup, I wouldn't do it (yet) if i would have known what i know now

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Upgraded after the deadline but managed to do so for free on my PC. Had to pay to upgrade the laptop.

Only issue was a flickering screen which I deduced was actually my monitor physically crapping out.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Windows 10 is definitely a much more stable and reliable system, especially for gaming now. I dumped Windows 7 since there is no more support for it.

Better yet do what I did, purchase an iMac, and upgrade the RAM and get the Pro version of VMWare and created a free Windows 10 VM and whala your all set and golden.

My system has 40GB of RAM and 1TB SSD, 6 CPUs on the host (iMac) and I gave the guest VM 16 GB of RAM, 500 GB HDD and 2 CPUs and Windows 10 and it runs like a champ!

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A friend bought me a new computer with 10 on it, I haven't got it set up for all the features I had for ASL yet.