Anyone tried Eclipse Phase?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It's sort of Blade Runner meets H.P. Lovecraft in space.

The second edition is nearing release status.

The background information for the first edition is better than most sci-fi novels, especially the gatecrashing stuff.

I believe the quick start rules are free.

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the core book, but like many of my RPGs, sadly it has yet to be played. I really love the fluff of the game.

mossygreenblob

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have run Eclipse Phase a few times. I mostly ran the original scenario in the book or the totally excellent downloadable scenario Glory.
Glory is a totally solid example of the mood Eclipse Phase can generate. Strange and dark,and at the same time really lets players go wild
with technology and generally bimble/egocast around bits of the solar system. The scenario finale is also superb and should make your
players feel like they've done something important.

I'd run a lot more Eclipse Phase but it does the system does have a lot of system STUFF. The core rule mechanics are fine and pretty simple.
BRP/percentile-esque with a enough useful tweaks to ensure Chaosium didn't freak out. But the sheer quantity of things that a character or NPC
can have or do is quite incredible. It's very cool in lots of ways. But that's also its worst aspect as a game. You do need to do a lot of book scanning in your first session.
All characters get a decent wodge of tech, special abilities and interesting skills as starting characters. There's just a lot for players to digest
initially. But when you bring some of the concepts in the game to life, like ego casting for example, my players really gelled with it.
Most players got to grips with whatever key skills and abilities they sounded the like off initially and then experimented with the rest if
they sounded relevant to a situation. Game essentially runs really nicely once you've gotten through the acclimatization stage for a group.
It can just feel a bit daunting when you start.

Great game. Easily my favourite sci-fi setting. Hyper vivid and full of such cool stuff. A bit crunchy, but if you have a fairly engaged group
who want to go somewhere very different, I'd highly recommend this game system and Glory specifically.

Last edited: