Anyone playing yet?

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Given that Guild Wars is free (and a great game in its own right), D&D online doesn't have a chance to get my money. I think they have overestimated the value of their game (but then again I may be wrong).

RobAPol

Reaction score
Country
ll
Played the beta. D&D online is a great game, but I really hope they are not marketing it as a MMORPG.....

I think it is NeverWinter nights (multiplayer mode) done right. Unlike other MMORPG's the majority/all (unless this has now changed) the questing is done in instances.... If you like instances its great, but I think that people comming over from EQ2 or WoW might have a problem with this....

vyshka

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played it, but from what I read basically there is one town and you go dungeon crawling below the city. Not a whole immersive world that people would expect in an MMORPG, but from what I understand it does a good job translating D&D to the pc.

Pepper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played the 7 day trial and you're right, its not a typical MMORPG. Its more of a fixed size game world that you can play with others. It has a few areas that are more akin to the random encounters of a MMORPG, but for the most part its pretty limited in size (and apparently replayability).

I enjoyed it, but I can see how it would get old once you've done all the various quests.

freightshaker

Reaction score
I played the 7 day trial also. It felt like I was playing Tomb Raider as a RPG. I've never been crazy about 3 or 3.5 Ed so the ruleset has already set me off and the combat system can be frustating at times. Of course, this was my first MMPRPG experience and I'm still stuck on the 3/4 view-top down BG2 and mods so I'm a bit bias. Too bad something like BG2 will never come around again due to the proliferation of 3D adventures.