Anyone play games via VASSAL?

Kishel

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any gamers here who use VASSAL to play any of the gamers titles that are on the VASSAL site?

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Kishel said:
Just wondering if there are any gamers here who use VASSAL to play any of the gamers titles that are on the VASSAL site?

I only know of two Gamers mods - The Mighty Endeavor and Leros. Sure would be nice to have more. Someday I would like to play TME on VASSAL.

Keith

PS I just realized there is NBS mod too but the name escapes me right now.

Last edited:

Kishel

Reaction score
Can anyone make a mod for VASSAL, of a game they own?

Or do you need to get permission from the company to do so?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can anyone make a mod for VASSAL, of a game they own?
Ine can make a VASSAL module of a game he owns for own use. It's distributing it that may run afoul of copyrights.

I'm not a lawyer nor stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Kishel

Reaction score
Well I guess I will have to contact MMP/The Gamers to see how they fell about this. I do not want to step on any toes when it comes to the copyright. I just would like to be able to play the games, and I can not seem to find a ftf player in the area.

Thanks for the info guys.

griffitz62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been working on a module for World in Flames and I was very concerned about the copyright stuff. I simply contacted ADG with an e-mail and asked if I could make the module and make it available for free. I got the okay and that was it. I would hope MMP would be the same way, but just call or write and see what they say.

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am currently playing PBEM Up Front via VASSAL. The interface is awesome! And the pace is good as I get to study the rules before I make a play, etc.

I am thinking about attempting a VASSAL game of Wooden Ships and Iron Men although I would rather play that game live rather than by PBEM.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received permission from Brian Youse of MMP on TME and also on Fire in the Sky (a WIP). He's busy, and it took a follow-up (or two) - actually, I recall now for FitS, he had actually called me to confirm my credit card number for the ASLRB and so while I had him on the phone I pinned him down on the permission to publish the module. :cool:

But yes, MMP seems to be quite cooperative when it comes to releasing VASSAL modules (for the Gamers series of games at least).

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
griffitz62 said:
I've been working on a module for World in Flames and I was very concerned about the copyright stuff. I simply contacted ADG with an e-mail and asked if I could make the module and make it available for free. I got the okay and that was it.
You realize that there's already a rather detailed VASSAL module for WiF? See: http://www.theletterj.net/

Sorry to point that out if that is your project, otherwise, hopefully that saves you some time. :)

Kishel

Reaction score
GJK said:
I received permission from Brian Youse of MMP on TME and also on Fire in the Sky (a WIP). He's busy, and it took a follow-up (or two) - actually, I recall now for FitS, he had actually called me to confirm my credit card number for the ASLRB and so while I had him on the phone I pinned him down on the permission to publish the module. :cool:

But yes, MMP seems to be quite cooperative when it comes to releasing VASSAL modules (for the Gamers series of games at least).

Thank you for the info, I was planning on sending an email to him after the ASLSK2 was finished shipping. I was also hoping to talk to Dean E. at HomerCon about it as well.

I was very happy to see TME up there at VASSAL, that you for the work. I am getting the game here in the not to distant future and looking forward to trying to play it with VASSAL, if I can find an opponent.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kishel said:
Thank you for the info, I was planning on sending an email to him after the ASLSK2 was finished shipping. I was also hoping to talk to Dean E. at HomerCon about it as well.

I was very happy to see TME up there at VASSAL, that you for the work. I am getting the game here in the not to distant future and looking forward to trying to play it with VASSAL, if I can find an opponent.
When you get it, send me an email - I'd be happy to hook up a game with you either live or via pbem.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
griffitz62 said:
Yeah, that's my WiF project. :)
Ah, well job well done! :D

One of these days, I'm going to read those rules and learn that game system. I've had it for a while now and just haven't had a chance to do so yet.

kwsrv

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I posted this over at the Boardgaming forum.

From what I've read about it, FITS sounds like an interesting game, and the graphics are outstanding. I was wondering if anyone has played it via PBEM (VASSAL in particular), and can comment on whether it is PBEM friendly (I guess what I am asking is if it requires many mailings back and forth to complete a game turn and ruins the feel of the game, or if it is a matter of 3 or 4 mailings. I know ASL via VASL can take alot of mailings in order to get a game started.).

Thanks

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
kwsrv said:
I posted this over at the Boardgaming forum.

From what I've read about it, FITS sounds like an interesting game, and the graphics are outstanding.
I'm working on the updated version of the vassal module. The one that is in circulation was created for the playtest team. I'm working with Adam Starkweather to get an updated version out there. I've been so busy working on that (and other things) that I haven't even had a chance to play the game, but yes, it's very appealing visually and reading the discussions on CSW, sounds like it's a blast of a game. There was an issue recently with the rules that cropped up though, and I believe Adam is doing some errata - and may be possibly rewriting entire sections of the rulebook. You'll have to follow that discussion at CSW - I briefly glossed over it, so don't quote me on anything. :)

I would also suggest CSW for reading the AAR of a pbem game that is being played, it may have your answer in there regarding the mailings.

Kishel

Reaction score
GJK said:
When you get it, send me an email - I'd be happy to hook up a game with you either live or via pbem.
Well I got it, and have read through the rules. What days of the week, and times are you free to play? I think I would like to do it live, and with Skype/googletalk if possible, as I am still a bit shaky with the rules. And it is more fun to be able to talk to someone while you play. This way I can know when I am about to make a dumb move as well, when you start laughing.

Send me private message or an email
hanskishel@gmail.com

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If anyone would like to play a Tunisia OCS scenario or campaign on VASSAL, please message me. I'm keen to give it a shot. :)

Thx, Marcus

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Portal said:
If anyone would like to play a Tunisia OCS scenario or campaign on VASSAL, please message me. I'm keen to give it a shot. :)

Thx, Marcus
Is this mod completed and available?

I see that DAK2 and Burma are in development also.

Keith

Kishel

Reaction score
I tried to set it up and play, but there are some counters missing. We emailed the person responsible but have not heard anything yet.