Anyone planning on trying the PC version of World in Flames?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Is anyone planning on trying the computerized version once it becomes available from Matrix Games?

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will probably fold and buy it at some point. WiF is just too big to play in person (especially if you want to do the world), so playing on the computer is ideal. Matrix makes good stuff in general, so it should be pretty close to the game.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that the better question would be "why would you not want to try the PC version?". A true boardgamer may have these points:

1. They prefer the board because they can see the entire board at once.
2. They prefer the human contact, sitting across from their opponent while playing.
3. They actually prefer to handle all the functions of the game manually for whatever reasons.

But otherwise, what WiFfer isn't going to want to at least investigate the PC version?

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'll probably buy it.

Why?

Because HoI sucks donkey wang.

GGWaW is a suped up Axis and Allies not a grognard wargame.

SC is simply fun, but not really what I wanted it to be ie closer to A3R

And that basically means there really isn't anything else to fill the need for global grand strategy that was designed INTENTIONALLY as a real wargamers wargame.

That, and I don't really have the interest to make the effort to make the space available to play my boardgame copy at this time. Too many other hobbies want that space.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Real men play A3R on their computers.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The only arguement I have with that Gary, is I really prefer A3R over the version of the game they used for the PC port.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only arguement I have with that Gary, is I really prefer A3R over the version of the game they used for the PC port.
That's not the PC port, and it's A3R, not 3R4 (though you can play that version as well). That's the VASSAL module.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've decided to hold out on WiF until the Matrix Games PC game is released, and for all the same reasons as outlined earlier in the thread.

It's just too tough to find a local group of 3-4 other committed wargamers who can meet weekly to play FtF enough to complete a full campaign. Plus the whole issue of so much required table space, and it just makes so much sense to play a PC version of this game.

I just hope this game will do the following:

1) Support multiple monitors with plenty of use of independent windows.

2) Allow for Days of Decision III to be added as a first "expansion pack".

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this the mod for the Avalanche Press version?
No, I had started to work on that but dropped it after not gaining any support from AP (no surprise there). That is from the mod that has been done by someone else and has been posted for quite some time, it's really well done:

VASSAL- A3R/3R4 (it has both games rolled into one)

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I thought the graphics were different. It's been a while since I viewed the old PCTR

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought the graphics were different. It's been a while since I viewed the old PCTR
Yeah, a bit of a difference. THIS is the 3RPC (as seen through DOSBox). Not too bad either for an old DOS game I don't think.

Honus

Reaction score
Is the PC version finally out?

I playtested an early version, and it had, um, PROBLEMS!

Honus

Reaction score
Check out the VASSAL Module

For this game.
A friend of mine put it together and it is pretty cool.

Honus

Reaction score
The problems

This was ten years or so ago. The problems were with the basic archetecture of the program, and the fact that a single individual was doing the programming, and attempting to add all the new rules to the exisiting module as they came out (i.e ships in flames, planes in flames, etc). I believe that effort was finally abandoned. Is there an ETA for the PC release?

griffitz62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The latest news on the release was posted on October 1st and had an ETA of 1st or 2nd quarter 2007. Of course, in January they said it would be summer 2006. The developer from Matrix is really good about letting people know what's up with the game.
I know that the version that Matrix is doing is based roughly on the code from the old (abandoned) CWiF that many of us have seen or tried. It still looks a little bit like it, but it has been overhauled a lot. The Matrix forum has a lot of pictures and posts about the game as it is being developed and they are taking in a ton of input from fans of the game.
Thanks for the vassal plug Dave. :)

Ken

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"For this game.
A friend of mine put it together and it is pretty cool."

Where can I find the VASL version?