Anyone interested in sound mods?

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just curious as to what the demand is for something like this? I don't want to replace the music in the game but I have been toying around with different sounds for the infantry and cannon fire for Campaign 1776. If there is enough interest in something like this, I am sure I could compile a soundpack for others to try out if they wanted it.

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
I always welcome new mods and really appreciate the time, effort and expertise put into them.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok I will try to finish everything up then. Give me a few days to work out the details of everything.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Leftie said:
Ok I will try to finish everything up then. Give me a few days to work out the details of everything.
OK take your time and let us know when they are complete. If you need a beta tester, just ask.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well in all honesty, things aren't really all that complicated. It's just a matter of replacing the default sounds with ones that you like better. I have to edit the other sounds so that they fit in nicely(I had a problem with the infantry fire sounds being a bit too long.) and try to strike a balance between sounding good and getting repetative.

I hope no one is expecting anything revolutionary. Just editing the wav files in the media folder, but I do think it sound a bit better.

Thanks

Ben

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
Keep some of the longer firing sequences as optional extras. I like to run accompanying background battle sounds through my laptop and separate speakers at a lower volume. It adds to the atmosphere of a solo game.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well,

Here we go! I got a few things like infantry melee and fire as well as cannon fire and a few others changed. I wanted to see what you guys thought before going any further.

You can check it out here http://www.savefile.com/files/9851175. Play a couple of turns with the stock sounds before you mod them. Please remember to backup your media folder since these files will over write the files in there.

If there is an interest in this type of things, I can definitely do more than that. I just wanted to throw something out there. Be honest in your opinions, I am not too thin skinned.

Thanks
Ben

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just an update incase someone doesnt know. In order to install the new sounds, you need to first copy the entire contents of your media folder located in the Campaign 1776 folder. The Default location for this would be

C:\Program Files\ HPS Simulations\ Campaign 1776\ Media

You can just copy the whole folder and before you paste it, rename your media folder to backupmedia or something. Then when you paste it it won't overwrite anything.

Take the contents of the Alternate Sounds file and paste them into your media folder.

Pretty simple stuff but I just wanted to make sure no one had any problems with it.

If you all like these sounds, I am sure I can come up with some more for this and other HPS games.

Disclaimer: I take no credit whatsoever for the sounds that are in this download. They were taken from various retail games and online resources. I tweaked them a bit shortening some and lengthening others but I didn't make any of them.

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
Same here Ben!

You could try uploading it to Strategy Zones Download Centre for retrieval?

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok sorry about the delay gentlemen but I am on dial up out here so it takes some time to upload things. I tried to host it on the SZO files section but it is just over 5 megs. The maximum file size is 2 megs. So unless I can find another place to host it, I am going to have to break it up into 3 different downloads.

Give me a little time to get this done. I am at work now and being on the other side of the world, I am up while most Americans are sleeping. Again, I am sorry for the delay and will try to get this hosted this evening.

Ben

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
No sweat Ben, just take your time and let us know when the files are uploaded.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, trying to get this thing hosted is like running head first into a brick wall over and over again.:argh: :argh: :argh:

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. The download section here is having trouble hosting the file. I even broke it up into 3 seperate zip files. All of them were a little under 2 megs.

Last edited:

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
Perhaps Danny can look into it for you?

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I could email it to someone with a higher speed connection than me. I am on dial and being halfway across the world to the SZO servers, it takes quite some time to try to upload it. So if I got it to someone who had broadband, 5 megs isn't much for them to get uploaded.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Leftie said:
Maybe I could email it to someone with a higher speed connection than me. I am on dial and being halfway across the world to the SZO servers, it takes quite some time to try to upload it. So if I got it to someone who had broadband, 5 megs isn't much for them to get uploaded.
Send it to me here:

dannybou AT hotmail DOT com

I'll work on it tomorrow as I am at work right now.