Anybody Tried Call of Duty?

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is an unbelievably (has to be seen to believe) cinematic first person shooter.

Check it out, this is me after defedning Pegasus Bridge in Normandy, the action (complete with surprise glider landing) is just as fun as watching the same thing in The Longest Day.

The Bren LMG is lots of fun to shoot and even more fun if some Fallshirmjager jumps me while I'm changing the magazine and I smack him with the rifle butt (melee attack option).

Tzar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I played the WHOLE game, from beginning to start.

I agree with you MonsterZero, it is the most cinematographic FPS I have seen so far.

And I can tell you, persevere and continue because the best is yet to come. Wait until you play the Russians.

You get 4 or 5 missions in Stalingrad, it is incredible. As close as you can get to the real thing I guess.

On the first mission, you get to cross the Volga to go under fire into Stalingrad. If you have seen "Enemy at the Gates", you will recognize instantly the whole scene, it's so well done.

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tzar, I'm playing the game from start to finish like the 4th time! I took Reichstag for the first time like 2 weeks ago. I can't stop.

Goblin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MonsterZero said:
Tzar, I'm playing the game from start to finish like the 4th time! I took Reichstag for the first time like 2 weeks ago. I can't stop.
LOL! Sounds just like me. My favorite was the bridge though. The opening battle was nice, and Stalingrad was scary. I even had fun in the tank. Dueling it out with PzIV's was a fun time.

Goblin

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with the above. The game looks great! I think it looks more gritty then Medal of Honor, which looks good but more clean some how. They flame and smoke are Awesome! I just started though and have only made it to the flak panzers. (again totally cool)

I will say however that I wish I had just a bit more under the hood to run it. My 800 P3 with low end 125mg video card and 384 ram dosn't play COD quite as smooth as I would hope but it seems to be doing the job. Great game so far though!

Michael

Tzar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
MonsterZero said:
He he...you must be good :D

At the beginning of every mission, I saved with a different name each time, so I can replay my favs missions any time :cheeky:

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"One man gets a rifle, another man gets ammunition. The man with the rifle shoots. The man without the rifle follows. The man with the rifle gets killed. The man without the rifle picks up the rifle and shoots. The man who doesn't have the rifle follows the one who has the rifle so when the one who has the rifle is killed, the one who doesn't have the rifle can shoot."

LOL, sometimes I launch certain levels just to listen to the dialogues.

Last edited:

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or the sniper hunt scene: "Private Kovalenko! As the fastest man here you'll be the bait!" "Me? Oh no, not me, thank you comrade".

This game is so precious.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
The game looks really cool is there anywhere I can go to see more screenshoots and to see the specs for running the game?

Thanks SoccerDJ

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, if you all like the game I should also look into it.

Hell, probably I should not have gotten UT2004, as it made me not having time for another game :D

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
CoD is simply awe inspiring, and I've been through the SP twice. Cranked up the difficulty second time.

The scene after getting off the boat is just unbelievable,

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hell, bought the damn game, I hate first person shooters, but this is awesome... Played up to that Pegasus bridge scenario so far, even a Kar K98 is good to have sometimes!

Coolest weapon yet; the German para automatic!

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dicke Bertha said:
Hell, bought the damn game, I hate first person shooters, but this is awesome... Played up to that Pegasus bridge scenario so far, even a Kar K98 is good to have sometimes!

Coolest weapon yet; the German para automatic!
The Fallschirmjager Gewehr Model '42! Yes indeed, very cool in full auto and single shot with the scope. I grab one the first chance I get and as I fight I scavenge ammo from fallen enemy paratroops. The American BAR is superior though (at least in the game) although not as easy to run into. The Bren is absolutely devastating for close and medium range although the side-mounted sight is awkward.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How is that running on a machine like an Athlon 2500+, 512 MB, Geforce 4400TI 128 MB?

Last edited:

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get great performance on a Pentium 800Mhz. Those first person shooters don't kill computers the way flight simulations do, even if the game is 3-4 years younger than your system.

Whether it's Call of Duty or something else those are all games from the "old generation"; namely the Quake III engine which is about 3 years old. All those companies use that engine as the core of their VR world. But the all new generation is almost here, Far Cry was its precursor and Doom 3 (summer) will render everything obsolete. I definitely won't be able to play it without getting a new rig.

The best 1st person shooters I ever played:
  • Quake (1996). Ultimate claustrophobia, scariest monsters and gore, this is one of the games that started it all. There had been great 1st person shooters before, but the original Quake really caught the public's attention and showed it the possibilities of this type of game design. This game was doing...things to my head; I could hear voices at night.
  • Quake 2 (1998). Groudbreaking graphics and level design. The mother of many other products that borrowed the graphics engine. This is one of the games that led the "3DFx" (Voodoo) graphics revolution of smoothly blended pixels and subtle lighting effects. A real trend-setter.
  • Unreal. Amazing visuals, superb level design by 1998 standards, superb storyline.
  • Half Life and Half Life Opposing Force. Best storyline, best weapons and environments, best characters. The game has impressive longevity thanks to its multiplayer mods which are very good.
  • Clive Barker's Undying. Best storyline, scariest monsters, most suspenseful suspense, absolute horror! After collecting all kinds of editors' awards this game rolled over and died rather quickly because it didn't have any multiplayer component at all.
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein and RTCW Enemy Territory. Multiplayer element one of the best ever conceived.
  • Call of Duty. This is like getting inside your favorite war movie and participating in combat, superb drama and realism. Artfully scripted and convincing storyline.
  • Operation Flashpoint. This is the first practical application of a true virtual world in a 1st person shooter. By "true" I mean you can go anywhere and do anything, you're not channeled by corridors that permit movement only forward and backward. You're on a huge island which is not as good as a continent I guess, but it's enough. Most of the places on the island you'll never explore because the place is too huge. You can get lost on the island and need a compass and map! Great marks for the variety of weapons and equipment that can be used, superb artificial intelligence and best command & control system for tactical command of your AI-controlled (or human) teammates.

Last edited:

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any of you playing multiplayer? That's where the real action is.

I've finished the game on max setting several times...even then its not as challenging as going up aginst a good human :)

There are several good mods out there now. Heat of Battle is one of my favorites; shoot them in the foot, they fall down...in the hand, they drop their weapon. Cookable nades too and new maps!

The CoD add-on is in the works...along with the Pacific MoH which is supposed to be totally new and just had a big revision due to CoD.

Even better graphics than CoD is FarCry...though not WWII releated it is a BLAST! Be warned though, FarCry's multiplayer is the worst out there.