Anybody here read Harold Coyle?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm reading Sword Point now and it's very good. I highly recommend him if you like books about modern combat.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
I've read Team Yankee by the same author. I agree with you Don, excellent modern warfare author.

Gary

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have The Ten Thousand and Code of Honor. The scenario in The Ten Thousand was unrealistic, but he did a great job of explaining the combat phase. (Xth Corps march would make an excellent DA campaign.) I also thought he did a great job with Code of Honor. I don't read fiction too much, but agree Harold Coyle is a great author of ground warfare novels.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Read them all - Bright Star is the best and most realistic - you'd love the raid on Al Fasher airfield Don.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I'm reading Sword Point now and it's very good. I highly recommend him if you like books about modern combat.
Wow, you're only, what, 15 years late?!

LOL! Just kidding, yes, I've read all of his books and find them a fairly fast read, if a little lacking in the techno-depth. It's a good kind of book for people who don't have a real good grasp on how the military worked "back in the day". No slam agaionst you, Don. You may also find the love interests and such a bit disconcerting. But hey! At least they didn't wear blue rubber gloves and take pictures of it!;) :)

Jean St. Marc

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
His "Team Yankee" was pretty good, but the follow-on books seemed to get shallower and more fantastic, sort of like Dirk Pitt books. Easy to read ... but realistic?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I read Team Yankee when it first came out, but I didn't pick up his other books until recently. I used to read quite a bit of Tom Calncy, but his stuff is too much in the SF realm to suit me most of the time.

Red

Reaction score
Country
llIsrael
I realy liked "team Yankee" at the Bn and lower level.

But I wasnt so found of the "intrigues" portrayed between Bn and Bg level.

The "world situstion" plot realy didnt convince me, but that probably wasnt the point of the book anyway.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
the world situation was set out in Sir General John Hackett's The Third World War, now a quaint little piece of alarmist literature, then a believable scenario that had military planners running for the plotting tables.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Foggy: honestly don't know. Probably - can't imagine having a former CoS (he was one wasn't he?) fictionalising the destruction of UK cities for no gain was a good propaganda move :D