Any way to clear HIP from an old VASL file?

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Basically an opponent sent me a setup that included some HIP stuff to him. I would like to re-use that file for a different game against a different opponent. Any way I can delete the HIP stuff that I cannot see?

Probably not a big deal as neither of us will ever see the HIP stuff, but in case it causes issues, I would like to remove it.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think your old opponent would need to do that or, if he is willing, offer you his password so you can use it to load the file and see the 'ghost' HIP. The other way may be to dissect the .vasv file with some kind of java can opener (!).

I think you are wise not to try to reuse the file too much. In fact on the couple of occasions I have tried that, even without old HIP, the file became corrupted after a while and unusable after being sent back and forth more times in PBEM. That was in an older version tho.

I understand why you want to save time esp. if its a complex overlay situation, but it may not be worth it. Just redo from scratch.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I do not think this is possible unless you know his password and his alias (which causes one to see HIP untis which were hipped by oneself).

The good thing, though: If you don't see it, your new opponente won't see it either. So most probably, it will not affect your game.

von Marwitz

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
What's the issue in creating another Vasl Game? What's in the file that you need?
HIP stuff will not have an effect.
You can't move it, nor un HIP it.
Its like dirt under the rug.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all. The issue is laziness on my part and the fact that the guy who sent me his file with setup and some HIP did a good job on it (as in the VASL config not necessarily his setup). Should be fine with the 'dirt' under the rug as it is maybe 5 counters.