Any third-party scenarios for POA2?

wr@ngler

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi all

I'm new to POA2 and and still poking around on the surface. One thing that struck me was how few scenarios the game includes. Are there any third-party scenarios out there or some kind of repository? I remember reading about the few scenarios when it came out but somehow assumed (yeah...) that had improved over the last decade. Any pointers for a newbie or is it just what it is?

O.Schmidt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I think the forum is dead!
I'm waiting for the latest update TSS!

O.Schmidt

wr@ngler

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yeah... I was hoping there was this secret inner circle of hardcore fans but apparently not. I originally wanted to start making my own scenarios but after looking into how that would be done I finally figured, nah... For the amount of effort required I can get better results in a fraction of the time from Steel Beasts or other sims. Clunky doesn't even begin to describe the process.

Maybe Scott could license the database. That is one part of POA that is timelessly awesome. It's a shame to see it go to waste in a game that apparently noone plays.

turbidite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The glacial pace of the updates isn't helping and has totally killed my interest in TSS. I consider its purchase money wasted.

Regarding scenario building,the new map builder is a bit better than ADC2 but it is still referring to the terrain by name instead of showing a miniature so you get something line forest1, forest2, forest3 and so on without knowing what it is unless you select them one by one. This is crazy and map making is extremely tedious. Add that to the slow playing, the instability and the rare updates...

If you want something similar, I think the only player in town is Panther with Command Ops.

wr@ngler

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The glacial pace of the updates isn't helping and has totally killed my interest in TSS. I consider its purchase money wasted.

Regarding scenario building,the new map builder is a bit better than ADC2 but it is still referring to the terrain by name instead of showing a miniature so you get something line forest1, forest2, forest3 and so on without knowing what it is unless you select them one by one. This is crazy and map making is extremely tedious. Add that to the slow playing, the instability and the rare updates...

If you want something similar, I think the only player in town is Panther with Command Ops.
For WW2 Command Ops is pretty amazing now with the new engine. Too bad they don't go beyond that era, as I'm really not into that whole WW2 thing.

I feel similar with POA though, although I don't feel the money is wasted per se, it's more of a token of appreciation for trying to make something like POA. But as far as getting what I expected to be paying for, no, not really. Such a shame, but it is what it is I guess. I keep it installed but I feel the engagement sizes you can simulate in POA without taking a sabbatical are better simulated in games like CMBS or Steel Beasts. That's also why I dumped the idea of making my own maps and scenarios.

For bigger stuff (i.e. the engagements you'd actually want to play in POA) I've been enjoying 'Battle Command' a lot. It may not be as granular as POA, but it's far more enjoyable and I can usually play a game in an evening after putting the kids to bed. And also: Because satellite images. :cool:

On the turn based side there's Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, which IMO is an incredible sim that gets far too little credit. Also the Graviteam games (semi-real-time?), once you get the hang of them.

So the bottom line for me is, it pains me for what POA could have (or arguably should have) been, but if this is really it, there are other great games waiting to be played.

Thanks for the input though. We better lay low now or we'll get banned for spamming. :laugh:

stepheng98

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
It is being worked on all the time, at least the WWii tank versions (Tigers Unleashed and Panthers awaken) are. I've given up hope of POA2 ever working properly before I retire which is crazy as the simulation would be a game changer if it worked properly. The problem is that a new game may well be released and make it all a waste of effort.

SPG