Any questions on DTF scenarios, post here (during ASLOK)

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all,

sadly, I will not be at ASLOK to sell, observe and kibbitz for the second DTF pack, that we worked so hard on for two years.

I worked in Syria last year, which forced me to get a US visa for the first time in my life (instead of ESTA, visa-free travel). I paid the US $ 200 fee, filled out the documents, but was unable to secure an appointment at any US embassy or consulate due to COVID measures.

So....if any of you have questions on the new DTF pack scenarios while at ASLOK, please drop me a post here and I will try to answer asap over the coming week.

Have fun!

Peter

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully Peter, things will be better next year. Also thanks for picking up the slack for FrF. I will miss that ASL pack for sure.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In Panther Cull the Brits have a Cromwell VI which has a Ch. H reference to Note S which talks about 94* mains not having HE and only having Smoke. We were struggling with why the Cromwell VI references S at all given it seemingly does have HE. So my interpretation is the 95* has HE normally and does not have AP. The 94* that are referenced are both overscored and underscored while the 95* is only overscored. So I'm fairly certain the Cromwell VI is just normal HE only but we can't really figure out why the reference to S exists for the VI...

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In Panther Cull the Brits have a Cromwell VI which has a Ch. H reference to Note S which talks about 94* mains not having HE and only having Smoke. We were struggling with why the Cromwell VI references S at all given it seemingly does have HE. So my interpretation is the 95* has HE normally and does not have AP. The 94* that are referenced are both overscored and underscored while the 95* is only overscored. So I'm fairly certain the Cromwell VI is just normal HE only but we can't really figure out why the reference to S exists for the VI...
Hi Bret,

I completely agree, this Cromwell's reference to British note S does not apply to its Main Armament. It fires HE normally.

I can only assume reference to Note s is an error OR the part of note S that is "relevant" is only the second paragraph, which explains how the HQ squadron had certain types of Cromwells. Which is irrelevant for its use in the game.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I completely agree, this Cromwell's reference to British note S does not apply to its Main Armament. It fires HE normally.

I can only assume reference to Note s is an error OR the part of note S that is "relevant" is only the second paragraph, which explains how the HQ squadron had certain types of Cromwells. Which is irrelevant for its use in the game.
Thanks - that was my take as well. Just seems an odd note and only confuses things. Something to remember to yell at Perry about later in the week 🤣

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks - that was my take as well. Just seems an odd note and only confuses things. Something to remember to yell at Perry about later in the week 🤣
I am sure Perry is looking forward to that and knows how to handle it....

Do agree the reference is odd.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Do agree the reference is odd.
Looks like it was there back in the 1st Edition of West of Alamein as well....FKaC added the specific references to the MAVN:
"The later versions carried more HE and less smoke, e.g., the Centaur IV, Cromwell VI, Cromwell VIII, Churchill V, Churchill VIII, and Staghound II(a)."

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gads, I cant wait to play these scenarios. They are sounding very cool from what I am hearing.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are my valiant Japanese, holding on to their Guam village in spite of five M4A1 and M5A1 AFVs.

The Japanese held on by virtue of surviving two CCs to win by one building (all those normal PTO huts are stone buildings).

Attachments

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Here are my valiant Japanese, holding on to their Guam village in spite of five M4A1 and M5A1 AFVs.

The Japanese held on by virtue of surviving two CCs to win by one building (all those normal PTO huts are stone buildings).
You are a dangerous man with a handful of Japanese, Rich.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question did arise in DTF11 A Greek Tragedy over SSR3 "Cavalry units are Fanatic". Are the Mountain Cavalry always fanatic? or only when mounted?

I answered always since they are identified as "Mountain Cavalry". How did I do?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The question did arise in DTF11 A Greek Tragedy over SSR3 "Cavalry units are Fanatic". Are the Mountain Cavalry always fanatic? or only when mounted?

I answered always since they are identified as "Mountain Cavalry". How did I do?
Hi Bret,

nope, once dismounted they cease to be Cavalry as we intended to refer to the rulebook definition only (Cavalry are infantry units mounted on horses).

Their being part of a Cavalry unit was not the intention of this rule.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks - I'll relay the intent to those that asked and for future playings. I would probably recommend adding errata saying "while mounted" or something to make it crystal clear...

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So...if any of you have questions on the new DTF pack scenarios while at ASLOK, please drop me a post here and I will try to answer asap over the coming week.

Have fun!

Peter
In DTF-16 Panther Cull are there vehicle size entrances from the roads around the 24S5 factory?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In DTF-16 Panther Cull are there vehicle size entrances from the roads around the 24S5 factory?
If a Factory hex has a printed stairwell symbol, it has a vehicle sized entrance (B23.742).

Since this is an Overlay factory, none of the roads on the original map will be "connected" to the building, so those cannot apply.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a Factory hex has a printed stairwell symbol, it has a vehicle sized entrance (B23.742).

Since this is an Overlay factory, none of the roads on the original map will be "connected" to the building, so those cannot apply.
The 24S5 Factory is not an overlay, the 67oR6 is an overlay. Do the road hexes have to connect in the factory hexes across a road hexside (Ex 24S4/24H4) for their to be a vehicle size entrance in the Level 1 1/2 Factory? I think it has to be across a road hexside into the factory hex for their to be a vehicle size entrance

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The 24S5 Factory is not an overlay, the 67oR6 is an overlay. Do the road hexes have to connect in the factory hexes across a road hexside (Ex 24S4/24H4) for their to be a vehicle size entrance in the Level 1 1/2 Factory? I think it has to be across a road hexside into the factory hex for their to be a vehicle size entrance
"across a road hexside" (B23.742)

So as far as I know, if the road does not cross the hexside into the Factory Building hex, there is no Veh Size entrance.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Bret,

nope, once dismounted they cease to be Cavalry as we intended to refer to the rulebook definition only (Cavalry are infantry units mounted on horses).

Their being part of a Cavalry unit was not the intention of this rule.
Peter,

Follow up question/clarification: per A13.51 "...If Cavalry breaks, it must Bail Out (D6.24); its Horse counter is considered to have bolted or been destroyed and is removed from play..."

so, I am assuming that a unit required to take a Bail Out MC is no longer considered Fanatic?

Thanks!

Bill

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Peter,

Follow up question/clarification: per A13.51 "...If Cavalry breaks, it must Bail Out (D6.24); its Horse counter is considered to have bolted or been destroyed and is removed from play..."

so, I am assuming that a unit required to take a Bail Out MC is no longer considered Fanatic?

Thanks!

Bill
Once the personnel is no longer on a horse, for whatever reason, it is no longer Cavalry and is therefore no longer Fanatic.

That's the power of 400 kg of meat bone and muscle between your legs.

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Peter, in my Albany AAR see Phil Draper's questions on Panther Cull friendly board edge for the Germans and whether intentional disabling of a panther MA is kosher.
Cheers, Paul