Any interest in "print your own" turret counters?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure what you're asking for. NRBH, but isn't a dug in tank (turret) just a normal turret with an automatic +1 size modifier?
There is no official counter so the RB suggests using a white turret counter representing the dug in tank cupola or placing the tank counter under a crest counter. You hav made all these specific turret counters that could represent dug in tanks but not sure what the artwork would/should look like.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got it. I chose not to do so, because that would have caused a lot more work to create the graphics. Instead of needing 36 indentical Pz IVJ counters IDs A-F, a-f, AA-FF, CE and BU, I only needed 18 copies of a single graphic for CE and 18 copies of a single graphic for BU. Also, since the turret counter is always going to be "in play" with a uniquely ID'd vehicle counter I thought it would be superfluous and only require more rooting around in my planos for the matching turret counter. YMMV.

Last edited:

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Get them die cut here:
DIE CUT COUNTERSHEETS SPI Wrecking Yard die cutting service Kerry Anderson

If you print them yourself to match his die & send them to him, maybe he would charge you less just to run the cutter.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool! Of course all the sheets would have to be laid out to match his cutting die. I set them up to make it most efficient to cut them out with a rotary cutter by hand.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's all cool. Personally, I don't like 3rd party counters that deviate from the "standard" counter art style (your mileage may vary), which is why I tried to make these look as similar to the standard counters as possible. Color matching will always be hard as different printers print differently (hell, my "official" counter sets have many different shades for each nationality), but hopefully the colors are close enough that there's no mistaking a British turret counter for a Japanese one. ;)
What I would suggest is to add ID letters to each turret: A,B,C...
Also, for those who resist because they have Countersmith Warricks turrets (I have these and always use) I would be interested in something that continued his line of work. Having the armor values on the counter (thus requiring the oversized 1/2+) came in handy. However, what I found was his set had some errors and they were not proofed enough. Some tanks have A,A,B,B,C,C,but not D, E and F.
If you can make French, Italian, Axis Minor, Allied Minor, Black SS, Chinese and Japanese that are similar to CW's counters then I would gladly pay for these!
Also, consider having turrets with various tank turrets with armor leaders and the armor leader values on these counters. BFP did this for the generic counters and these too I use often. So, the idea is to have nationality specific turrets of all types of tanks with 8-1, 9-1, 9-2 and 10-2 leaders on turrets for Panthers, Tigers, etc and then you may have something with wider appeal. In my opinion of course. Each turret again has its own ID letter.
If you want, make me sheets and I will pay for them--I can print them out and mount (paste onto extra counters) on my own.
Yes, a lot of time and effort.
Realize that aside from Ollie, I am THE counterslut. :)

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see the AFs--Great! Now, please expand this set--with ID letters!
Thanks for the kind words, but I can't go back and put individual IDs on all those counters, it would be too much effort for too little gain in my opinion. The underlying vehicle counter already has the ID on it. As far as Armor leader values, are you asking for all permutations of AL values and IDs? Madness, I say. ;)
That said, it would be relatively easy (although incredibly tedious) for someone else to add the ID letters to the existing graphic files in even the most rudimentary graphics program, and they have my blessing to do so if desired.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the kind words, but I can't go back and put individual IDs on all those counters, it would be too much effort for too little gain in my opinion. The underlying vehicle counter already has the ID on it. As far as Armor leader values, are you asking for all permutations of AL values and IDs? Madness, I say. ;)
That said, it would be relatively easy (although incredibly tedious) for someone else to add the ID letters to the existing graphic files in even the most rudimentary graphics program, and they have my blessing to do so if desired.
Yes, madness indeed!
I would love to have your turrets for those nationalities not covered by Countersmith W: French, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Axis and Allied Minors. These would all be used by me throughout the rest of my ASL loving life.
I applaud your efforts.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, I completely skipped page 2. Started from page 1 and jumped right to page 3. Waiting for the prints to dry, then time for a different type of "counter clipping". Look for action pics of these turrets in all of my future pics of games in progress when the scenario has tanks. I'll still use my countersmith turrets AND use yours for the other nationalities.
I also like how you simply omit the firepower on those tanks with 1MT and 2MTs. A lot easier to spot than CW counters--the value with a red line crossed through it. For me, this is the value of such counters. During play (and especially if you are having a few beers) counters can help avoid mistakes--such as firing that CE T-26. The more memory aides the better for this aging ASL brain.
Goodbye generic turrets!
Thank you very, very much!

Last edited:

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Starting my "cut n' paste" for these bad boys. What I figured is that it is better to put the BU side on the "top" for 1MT and 2MT and have the CE on the bottom (flat side) because during play the BU side is used when turning and shooting. The CE counter just gets used for road movement. "Action photos" of these counters in action coming soon.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP's Crucible of Steel has "dug-in" tank turrets. I think you can just use those or any other turret to represent the tank in question. The beauty of Gordon's work is that now any tank that is dug-in can just use one Gordon's many turrets.
I do not use the vehicle crest counter--that's only being used in the DTO in my ASL world.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I first started tilting at this particular windmill I cut off my insanity at not doing MG-armed vehicles (mostly) and some of the various flak-tracks. The other day I realized that there aren't THAT many, so here are the missing German and SS turret counters.
Damn it. I discovered while working on the Chinese turrets that I'd screwed up the PSW 221 CE/BU status. So, here's version 2 of the German and SS.

Attachments