Any Interest In A Newbie Tournament???

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been mulling this over for a few days. There seem to be quite a few people around learning the game again at the same time as I. I was wondering if there would be any interest in some of the new players banding together to play in a little slow-paced tournament to play some of the classic easy scenarios, either through e-mail or live on VASL.

It would give us all some well needed practice, incentive, it would probably be a lot fun and we'd all meet some new future opponents.

A couple of years ago on Genie (remember that place? :D ) some of the more experienced players put together a tourny like this to garner interest in the game.

Good idea? Bad Idea?

seh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would benefit from this kind of game, even as an observer. Perhaps some more experienced players could participate by "watching over the shoulder," advising the players of mistakes and helping with rule interpretation.

I've been trying to watch a game on VASL, but each time I connect there are no active games. From what I read here and on ASLML, it sounds like there's a lot of activity on there; I haven't found it yet, but I've only connected a few times.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another possibility... An old guy like me could play a newbie and invite others to watch / kibitz / whatever.

Friday 28 March 2003 I'll be continuing my game of "Scenario J" with a relative newbie who wanted to learn OBA. Scenario J has infantry, armor and THREE modules of OBA....

We'll start play about 4-5PM Pacific time. This is about midnight GMT.

Sam "Always willing to get beaten by a newbie" Belcher

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Sam,

Nice to see invites like this. Wish there were more game announcements like this from seasoned players. If you ever feel like crushing me in a infantry-only PBEM or live session, just let me know.

...but, playing a game and watching a game are 2 entirely different things (I could make totally rude analogies here, but I won't) . C'mon newbies, out of the closet - this is your chance to finally master that damned chapter A!

Jeff Leslie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course, the way the VASL server is (not) working right now, only half the people will even be able to see each other.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still, I'm happy to play a newbie... Infantry only, whatever.

First come, first serve.

Sam

huskerfan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SamB,

Once I actually OWN a rulebook, I'd greatly appreciate a chance to find out how bad my tactics are...

They must need room for improvement, since every Series Replay and Example of Play I read seems to be over-brimming with "gee... I wish I'd thought of that" moments... sigh...

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I have a game started... so new games will have to wait till I finish one...

I also have an extra copy of Version 1 of the rule book.... $10 plus shipping to a newbie...

Sam

huskerfan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm waiting to hear (later today) from Brian W about the possible sighting of the rarest or animals - an ASLRB v2 for sale in his area.

But even so, a backup would be very helpful! I'll send you an email later today.

I've tried watching your VASL scenario (Bitche Salient) with Eric, but I have not been able to "see" both of you - one evening I could not "see" Eric, the others I could not "see" you. Kinda hard to follow things when you only get half the conversation. Hopefully the newest versions of VASSAL/VASL will clear this up!

syfaulk

Reaction score
I would take Belcher up on that offer if I was a newb. (I play like one, but I no longer qualify as one :oops: ). There are a lot of us that never bought a v2 rulebook. I still personally do not have one and have yet to run into a problem with "versions". I have flipped through a v2 and while it's very nice to see the IIFT included as an "official" option and the new font, my old v1 serves me just fine. Just make sure to get an experienced player to fully explain Wall Advantage and Bocage when you are ready to tackle it.

-Scott

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Scott. V1 of the rule book is just fine... I like v 2, but v1 is fine for game play...

BTW, I have another game starting soon, so my offer to play a newbie has been accepted. (twice so far) 8)

The rest of you will have to get in line.

BTW the current VASL server is having problems. I couldn't see my opponent at first either! I'm running WinXP and had to enable / disable my Windows firewall before I could see everyone on the server.

In WinXP (and probably Win2000) you do this by going to your network connections, click on properties and go to the "advanced" tab. My firewall was disabled, but I had to enable it, save and then disable.... This SHOULDN'T matter, but it seemed to fix the problem.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll be playing Peter Kossits [peterk@look.ca] in Gavin take soon.... Perhaps starting this weekend.

Gawkers / kibitzers / newbie lookers-on are welcome. Peter is a "newbie" himself and wants a chance to win, so he's offered to play me!!! :)

I also have an on-going game with Eric Trudel and people are welcome to watch if they happen to see us playing. (I know, the server's not doing well, but if you happen to be on VASL and see us feel free to drop in.)

Eric and I are playing "The Bitche Salient" and we're in turn 2. My Americans are whupping up on Eric pretty badly (not really). We might as well have shortened the game by a half or even a full turn. The first player turn saw Eric and I take over a dozen shots EACH and had a net effect of malf'ing two MGs (the best we had, of course) - both since repaired.

Peter and I will play "Gavin Take" with myself as the German. A little scenario discussion follows: feel free to make fun of my points.

Gavin Take is a great infantry only scenario. The US gets a 10-3 AND a 10-2 but no support weapons. The US has to exit troops to win, and the number of troops needed for exit increase if the Germans also exit. The scenario -could- come down to the US exiting some troops and leaving a "rear guard" to prefent too many Germans from following.

One obvious bottleneck is the fact that all troops exiting must exit from the same hex - the road in the middle of the board crease. This just begs for the defender to lay down a fire lane covering the road. (Assuming there are still defenders!)

The US approach varies. The US can send both forces around the village and try to flank the German defense. Or, he can bring his forces together in the middle of the board and bludgeon his way to the exit. Of course there are combinations of these approaches in various degrees, but these are the two basic ways to go... Most of the time, I've seen the US flank the village. He still ends up fighting his way to the exit hex because the Germans always fall back and cover the exit road. Someday when I play this puppy I'm going to bring everyong in the US order of battle right into the village. The plan will be to annilate the German defenders and then walz off the board once the defenders are gone. (Has anyone tried this?)

Comments?

Sam "Newbie Slayer" Belcher

syfaulk

Reaction score
One obvious bottleneck is the fact that all troops exiting must exit from the same hex - the road in the middle of the board crease. This just begs for the defender to lay down a fire lane covering the road. (Assuming there are still defenders!)
Or the sleaze of sleazes in this scenario (since Sam is the German I feel I'm not slanting towards anyone if I say this beforehand since I'm pretty sure Sam knows of this one) is to dig a foxhole in the exit hex and make 'em root you out. Not all that bad since the Amis have some serious firepower modifiers, but it's pretty ruthless if he's gotta get by ya on that last turn.

Still a fun scenario though.

I was Gavin Took a while back,
Scott

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Or the sleaze of sleazes in this scenario (since Sam is the German I feel I'm not slanting towards anyone if I say this beforehand since I'm pretty sure Sam knows of this one) is to dig a foxhole in the exit hex and make 'em root you out
This is a perfect example of why I keep getting pummelled in ASL; I don't know the rules. If I had known I could dig a fox hole, very few of my squads would be in the open.

I'm playing Gaving Take with Bruce Childs right now, me leading the Germans, and Bruce leading the Paratroopers. Bruce has attacked on both flanks, and has put some hurt on my guys. My plan was to have an HMG aiming down the firelane, with the rest of my units protecting that MG's flanks, but as usual, the best of plans fall apart as soon as first contact is made; I took major casualties on the right flank, I had to move units to keep it from folding, and my exit MG is now helping to hold the left flank.

Well see how this one ends.

As for the online Newbie tournament, I think it's a pretty good idea, and I might participate in one, depending on the time demands.

What I'd really like to see is an FtF tournament system that provides a little boost to newbies. Maybe some sort of handicaping system.

I've never been to a tournament, so I can't really elaborate any more on that idea. :)

Nat

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or the sleaze of sleazes in this scenario (since Sam is the German I feel I'm not slanting towards anyone if I say this beforehand since I'm pretty sure Sam knows of this one) is to dig a foxhole in the exit hex and make 'em root you out. Not all that bad since the Amis have some serious firepower modifiers, but it's pretty ruthless if he's gotta get by ya on that last turn.
Its not so much a sleeze as you may think.... For one thing it will be turn 2 before you can even begin to try to dig a foxhole and you need a "5" on the DR to do it.... At a minium it costs the German the use of a squad for a full turn - and probably two or more...

So, I'd call it a "risky tactic" rather than a "sleeze". Thisis a good example of the entire discussion of "sleeze" vs. "tactics". Personally, I don't think its a sleeze when there is considerable risk / cost associated with the action. :)

Sam "Yes, I knew about that one" Belcher

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its not so much a sleeze as you may think.... For one thing it will be turn 2 before you can even begin to try to dig a foxhole and you need a "5" on the DR to do it.... At a minium it costs the German the use of a squad for a full turn - and probably two or more...

So, I'd call it a "risky tactic" rather than a "sleeze". Thisis a good example of the entire discussion of "sleeze" vs. "tactics". Personally, I don't think its a sleeze when there is considerable risk / cost associated with the action. :)

Sam "Yes, I knew about that one" Belcher

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've just been looking at this guy figuring out what I'm going to do. I've pretty much settled down on an approach.

The foxhole move. I'm kind of expeting it. I wouldn't call it a sleaze - it's very iffy, on the same order as how lucky the airborne are getting some of their smoke rolls. If I flank, my guys will get there on turn 3 and after that I don't think the Germans will bother trying to dig foxholes. So they get only one roll to try the entrenchment and it's less than 50% certain. If Sam pulls back a leader with a modifier to help out, then that's one less leader helping the MGs.

I do _howver_ have a serious beef with some of the other tips which appeared in the Classic ASL article on this one. Check out the diagram that reads "US position after an agressive turn one" that has all of force Gavin 2 hexes away from the Germans - in good order!

Now, I worked it out - the only way those guys get that far forward on turn one is to move as a stack and aggresively use bypass around that patch of forest in X1, W1 and to not enter any buldings on the approach. Excuse me???? There's 2 MMGs taking potshots at -2 through all of that!!! I don't care if Gavin is a -3, it's inviting one bad roll to totally derail the American game.

Sorry, but that's just plain reckless isn't it? As long as the paras can get within normal range on turn 1 for their advance fire I don't think they have to be in that much of a rush to close distance.