Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
After reading the threads associated with the Monkeys with Typewriters scenario design contest I thought people might be interested in doing it again. Unlike MwT, this will be three different contests, ETO, MTO and PTO. I wrote some guidelines for the contests and an integrated schedule for the contests. Anybody interested, any comments or suggestions?

Attachments

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I'm always interested but the number of participants has dropped off with each MwT to the point that I was the only submitter in the last one. If you plan on going forward, I also recommend keeping it simple so pick a theater and provide a single book, chapter, or wiki battle and shorten the submission time as the number of participants drops off for each month of time you give them to submit. Basically, this generally appeals to first time or infrequent designers and the longer you give them, the more they look at what they come up with and feel "its not good enough" and drop out. Also, you need to have a number of good players lined up who are willing to play all the submissions that come in. This is not an easy task. just my 2-cents and good luck!

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the whole contest is subject to change. Can easily make it just one contest, probably ETO, with a shorter submission time. I have a couple of battles that I could submit for consideration as the battle for the design. I wanted to gauge the interest in such a contest because I would need to line up some judges for the contest. In comparison to the first MwT where there were rapid fire posts by interested people intrigued by the idea, the response has been very limited. In the first one, people wanted to participate without any defined contest as designers and judges. In the seven years since the first one, people's lives have filled with other needs and wants. If only five people submit designs then those five might also judge the event, play testing the others' designs and rating them for several criteria. The contest is not limited or restricted to the material in the attachments.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm not interested. Then again, I've been participating in the ultimate scenario design contest every year since 1996.
And if you stopped doing things like deleting your own website and refusing for years to accept electronic payments, maybe one of these years you'll manage to win.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Yes, the whole contest is subject to change. Can easily make it just one contest, probably ETO, with a shorter submission time. I have a couple of battles that I could submit for consideration as the battle for the design. I wanted to gauge the interest in such a contest because I would need to line up some judges for the contest. In comparison to the first MwT where there were rapid fire posts by interested people intrigued by the idea, the response has been very limited. In the first one, people wanted to participate without any defined contest as designers and judges. In the seven years since the first one, people's lives have filled with other needs and wants. If only five people submit designs then those five might also judge the event, play testing the others' designs and rating them for several criteria. The contest is not limited or restricted to the material in the attachments.
The two I participated in were enjoyable endeavours, but I think the novelty of it was the attraction. The first one was a genuine attempt to answer basic questions about scenario design - i.e. how much variety could you possibly get from a single historical event? The answer was a most pleasant "lots" and produced IIRC over a dozen good Carpiquet Airfield scenarios. The next one, on Norway, I interpreted as a follow up question along the lines of - can we recreate the fun of the first one. I thought the answer was no, frankly. The historical situation was interesting, but the history provided seemed vague, and a little more broad, so naturally the designers came up with a variety of scenarios. I think at that point the question had been resolved.

If there was a real impetus to do another contest, you'd need to either be answering a really compelling question, covering a really fascinating (and under-represented) historical action, or perhaps be offering some terrific prize/incentive. My opinion (only) is that you'd need to be *more* specific about things like parameters, rather than *less* specific. I suspect many scenario designers tend to be secretive about their ideas, so expecting someone to put up ideas to a general vote may not be realistic. For every designer who thinks they have a great inspiration for a scenario design, I'll show you a designer who secretly dreads that someone else is working on the same subject *right now.*

The one contest I ran on my own for the ASLSK wasn't even based on a historical action, but on a set of map parameters (i.e. can you design a scenario using 4 boards end to end, ala the original Squad Leader). Gimmicky? Perhaps but was also interesting to see what people managed to come up with, and they ran the gamut from Crete to the Spanish Civil War, to Northwest Europe to the Russian Front. So not all contests need to use a common historical event as its basis.

Basically, it's like a thesis for a term paper - find a question you want answered. Can you design a scenario with not one, but two parallel rivers? Can you design a scenario for four players? etc. The question posed in the attached documents - can you find a historical action to represent in ASL? - has been answered literally 4,000 or 5,000 times including third party publications.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've never designed a game from scratch. I've done one update from SL to ASL. When I did the research on the original battle to settle things like weather, etc, I found that the original designer was off on his timeline by a few months. So I updated that stuff. The research was fun. I have Dr Pitcavage's book on ASL design, but I've yet to get the one by a Mr Dorosh. (notice I said "yet")

I'm looking forward to the fun! :)

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
OK - based on OP desire for ETO, how about:
1. Pick any engagement based on here: http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/007/7-4-1/index.html
2. Must use one or more Fort boards (aka MMP double-wide). Overlays allowed.
3. Must include one or more rules from Chapter E (in addition to Rules 3.0+).

Due in 2 months (one month researching/designing and one month playtesting give or take).

See if that floats anyone's boat (or LC).

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Here is another possible contest.

Use this source:
Small Unit Actions during the German Campaign in Russia

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p4013coll8/id/850/rec/822

Part I through Part V

Must involve a "Soviet Village" as depicted in Mark Pitcavage's (Pitman) thread.
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/attention-mapmakers-soviet-villages.130620/

Designer may use up to three published MMP boards.

Designers may use map boards defined as "finalized" from the Pitman thread also (in conjunction with a maximum of two MMP boards). (Use of the "finalized" boards will probably limit online play testing using VASL).

Finalized boards will be picked by next Monday. If map makers wish to tweak their boards they have until then to make the adjustments and post them in the thread. Designers may create their own board and/or have a map maker create a board for them but the board must be posted to the thread by Sunday evening 6pm US Central Time. Created boards must be a standard type board or a double wide style board as previously published by MMP. No HASL boards or non-standard format boards. (This section may be extended by one week to give mapmakers a little more time.)

Overlays allowed.

Contest is four months. Six weeks for designing and ten weeks for judging and play tests by judges.

Judges pick top six and rank them 1st place to 6th place. Top three get gift certificates (or postal money order for international entries).

Last edited:

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
There is too few precious gaming time to waste it on newbies' scenarios.

The First MoT was and interesting experiment, that should have not been duplicated.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
All the great designers started at the beginning Paolo so don't count out all the new designers yet! There are not a lot doing it so a great way for those interested to get started and keep the hobby going forward or bring new ideas to the table.

There is too few precious gaming time to waste it on newbies' scenarios.

The First MoT was and interesting experiment, that should have not been duplicated.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I made a post in Pitman's Soviet Village thread asking mapmakers to tweak and post any board that depicts a "Soviet Village" similar to the pictures/ images Mark or I posted in the thread. I asked them to post final version by September 8th.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wait until after the Korean War core module is released.

That way people would be interested in designing AND most importantly, playtesting KW scenarios. Currently, there are too many WWII scenarios and there's is nothing new to excite/inspire anyone to participate. New nationalities, new units, new mapboards, new weapons, new rules, etc. THAT should get the juices flowing.

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I should have worded it better.
I have my personal preferences in designers, but I always try the new names, some of them are really good, and offer fresh approches to scenario design. I always look for them.

New Designers can offer their products to MMP and TPPs, here their work will be evaluated and playtested if merit found. MwT in my opinion was a botched experiment, not to be repeated.

All the great designers started at the beginning Paolo so don't count out all the new designers yet! There are not a lot doing it so a great way for those interested to get started and keep the hobby going forward or bring new ideas to the table.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy,
Tom R. and I have been preparing some Soviet village boards following the Pittman thread.
Of concern is that these boards are also being submitted to MMP and until they vet them, putting them 'out there' may not be welcomed by MMP.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Randy,
Tom R. and I have been preparing some Soviet village boards following the Pittman thread.
Of concern is that these boards are also being submitted to MMP and until they vet them, putting them 'out there' may not be welcomed by MMP.
That's wonderful news. You and Tom just keep those boards secret and submit them to MMP. Hopefully, MMP will accept them and create some great scenarios using them. You have a couple of similar, published, boards you posted in the thread. If the contestants can make them fit that would be great.

Besides we have not had a poll to select the parameters of the design. Probably I will post that Friday or Saturday. I hope a couple of other suggestions are offered.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd be interested. But please in the name of all that's holy can we NOT do russian/German.

How about Italy? The Cassino battles would allow different nationalities.

Anything but German v russkie!