any How to Make VASL Counters tutorials out there?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Working on a project and need to make infantry counters. I know blank ones exist so wondering how do you edit them to include the attributes. I also want to use existing tanks and guns and maybe change the base colors and make a few new ones. any help appreciated. Thanks.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've made a generic Infantry counter VASL extension. That might help? Pretty sure I posted it on GS but can't look just now. Just replied to a request from Carl. I'll bet you're talking the same project?

Al

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
You got it! It sounds like everyone is booked so I thought I might give it a shot if I could figure it out. I’ll see if I can track down that extension- thanks!

I've made a generic Infantry counter VASL extension. That might help? Pretty sure I posted it on GS but can't look just now. Just replied to a request from Carl. I'll bet you're talking the same project?

Al

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Assuming you know how to create an extension, the easiest way to create new counters in Vasl is to create an image of your required counter with the correct dimensions (48x48 pixels for Infantry 60x60 for Vehicles) using a graphics program. Then create an extension for Vasl. Although you cannot edit the existing counters what you can do is right click on an existing counter and copy it then paste it into where you want it to be in the menus. Now you can change that counter e.g. You can replace the image with your image and change its name. So for example if you want to create a new AFV counter pick an existing AFV counter and copy and paste it then change the image and the name of the counter. Your new counter will now have all the behaviours that the existing counter has.

So this works fine for counters for existing nationalities, but if creating counters for new nationalities then it gets a little more involved.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I have an extension but need to edit the counters. I guess my question when I open up the MMC counter, where do I go to edit the HOB, BH, HS data and link to appropriate counters. assuming the data file. I am just interested in editing MMC counters so wasn't sure if I could edit existing to make the ones I need.

I've never done any of this (except inserting a graphic into a Bd file) so wasn't sure if the idiots guide was available someplace! All the above is very useful so thanks for sharing.

Assuming you know how to create an extension, the easiest way to create new counters in Vasl is to create an image of your required counter with the correct dimensions (48x48 pixels for Infantry 60x60 for Vehicles) using a graphics program. Then create an extension for Vasl. Although you cannot edit the existing counters what you can do is right click on an existing counter and copy it then paste it into where you want it to be in the menus. Now you can change that counter e.g. You can replace the image with your image and change its name. So for example if you want to create a new AFV counter pick an existing AFV counter and copy and paste it then change the image and the name of the counter. Your new counter will now have all the behaviours that the existing counter has.

So this works fine for counters for existing nationalities, but if creating counters for new nationalities then it gets a little more involved.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If the behaviour required in your counter is the same as an existing counter in Vasl then you do not need to edit any of the traits. Just pick an existing counter that already has those traits, right click on it and then paste it into where your new counter needs to be. Now all you need to do is edit the image and the name of the counter.

Step 1 in Vassal extension editor window expand the Vasl Game Counters Palette tree until you can get to the counter you want for example a german 4-6-8 squad and right clcik on it and copy.

Step 2 select the panel where you want your new unit to be placed and right click and paste. You now have an editable 4-6-8 squad

Step 3 Double Click on your editable squad and this brings up the window where traits can be edited and or added to the counter.

Step 4 Open up the layer ge4-6-8S and replace the images within with your new images by clicking on them and navigating to where the new images are on your computer. You can also delete any layers that are not required. You can also change the name on the Basic Piece trait.

Just have a play around and see what the results are. You can if you want create new counters and copy and paste the traits you want from other counters.

Hope this helps.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Thank you both - super helpful!

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to make a couple of custom MMC counters for my own use...is this generic Infantry counter VASL extension still available? I can't find it on GS or on VASL.info. Or I could probably figure out how to create an extension, but to do so should I rely on VASSAL or VASL documentation?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
VASSAL docs. For a quick overview:
  1. launch VASSAL
  2. right-click VASL and choose New Extension
  3. expand VASL Counters [Game Piece Palette]
  4. expand down to the nation you want (I'll go with a US Army counter)
  5. right click Army [Panel] (because I'm adding a counter into that container)
  6. choose Add Single Piece
  7. with Basic Piece selected, choose Properties
  8. give it a name and choose Add to import your image
Click Ok until you're out and then save your extension.

That's the basic flow. When you want to take it to the next level, you'll probably be copying an existing counter and then editing it's properties so that you get all the VASL goodness instead of just a basic piece.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's the basic flow. When you want to take it to the next level, you'll probably be copying an existing counter and then editing it's properties so that you get all the VASL goodness instead of just a basic piece.
Thanks very helpful, but I'd rather go right to the next level...is it very intuitive how to copy an existing counter and edit its properties? Main thing I'd want is all of the right-click functionality I guess. Nothing fancy or unique, just creating a new MMC counter with new factor values.

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What do you mean by factor values? FP, range and ML? If so, then all you need to do is copy a similar counter and then change the images - not just in the Basic Piece but also in any layer property. To copy a counter, I believe right-clicking it in the editor should let you do that. The FP, range and ML values are not stored anywhere as data by VASSAL. They are just part of the counter image.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What do you mean by factor values? FP, range and ML?
Yes, sorry, just FP, range and ML. Thanks, I'll try as you suggest. Does anyone know which font is used by the ASL MMC counters?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'd like to make a couple of custom MMC counters for my own use...is this generic Infantry counter VASL extension still available? I can't find it on GS or on VASL.info. Or I could probably figure out how to create an extension, but to do so should I rely on VASSAL or VASL documentation?
There is a VASL extension around which lets you create custom counters (for infantry). You can enter any value, underscore, etc. The only "drawback" is that there is only a single silhouette available for all nationalities per type. Otherwise, it was quite nice.

This extension was experimental, and I can't even remember who gave it to me.

Edit:
Creator of the extension is the glorious @BigAl737
See this link for a link and an AAR which uses the custom created extension.

Edit #2:
It seems that the Dropbox link to retrieve the extension is no longer working. A pity.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems that the Dropbox link to retrieve the extension is no longer working. A pity.
Yes, that's the extension that prompted my original question--the link to the extension posted in this thread is also dead. Is BigAl still around, should I ping him directly?

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I pinged him, hopefully he'll respond, otherwise I'll go with what you guys have provided so far. But I'm lazy enough that I'd prefer not to re-invent the wheel.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome, thank you very much! Hope you're having a great summer.

This seems to work fine with VASL 6.6.2, although it took me a little while to figure out how to find/use it.

Last edited: