Any good storage methods for CH panel map packs?

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Currently the company seems focused on reviving Giant map scale 2.2 inches side by side and soon 1x1 Personel counters. And 4 12x18 panels for each of the 90 numbered boards ( slightly modified to avoid copyright problems, but totally playable with SL & ASL scenarios that do NOT require overlays.
So going to the original title of the post one might need 4 times the storage space :)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
So the first question is why in God’s green earth would anyone want to play on 2.2 inch hexes and 1x1 personal counters? To me that seems like a waste of space (and money).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, some people's eyesight is waning. At least that's what I have read numerous times around here and that is also the reason why many praise the bigger fonts of MMP's newer counters as in BV3 for example.

Producing really large counters and maps to go with it could be a solution. Granted, it would be a niche within the niche, but for once you have to give CH credit for an innovative idea. It will probably work well enough for standard sized scenarios. Though, of course, it would be an extremely expensive solution requiring tons of new kit and counters.

von Marwitz

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Plus scale is perfect for using 1/285 miniatures with standard counters, and if you play ASL on Deluxe sized hexes you can use real line of sight instead of centerpoint to centerpoint l.o.s. Much more realistic way to play ASL...a squad can be located in front of a building, inside a stone building or behind a stone building. Turns ASL into a miniatures game.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Plus scale is perfect for using 1/285 miniatures with standard counters, and if you play ASL on Deluxe sized hexes you can use real line of sight instead of centerpoint to centerpoint l.o.s. Much more realistic way to play ASL...a squad can be located in front of a building, inside a stone building or behind a stone building. Turns ASL into a miniatures game.
Delux are 2.2"/40 m. That works out at 1/716 or about 2.5 times too small for 1/285. You would need about 5.53" hexes to match 1/285. Sorry :oops:!

Having said that, DASL does allow much greater subtly as you pointed out.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently the company seems focused on reviving Giant map scale 2.2 inches side by side and soon 1x1 Personel counters. And 4 12x18 panels for each of the 90 numbered boards ( slightly modified to avoid copyright problems, but totally playable with SL & ASL scenarios that do NOT require overlays.
So going to the original title of the post one might need 4 times the storage space :)
May I suggest...

a dumpster?

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And if you enjoy the products of those 3 publishers, thank Ray Tapio for laying it all on the line for the rest of us.
So heroic, so self-sacrificing....
Lol!

A Rat will always be...

A Rat!

(But look, I capitalized "Rat"! Are you feeling the love, Rat?)

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Say what you will, on October 27, 1997 Critical Hit made it safe and legally protected to professionally produce supplements, magazines, scenario packs and full ( less ASLRB) games for ASL.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
This is an unusual progression for a CH thread! Thanks to those who offered storage ideas

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure but I think Whiskers may have forgotten that this Is A subsection of unofficial company support for folks who play CH ASL products, both Ww2 era and Civil War thru 1970's.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well, some people's eyesight is waning. At least that's what I have read numerous times around here and that is also the reason why many praise the bigger fonts of MMP's newer counters as in BV3 for example.

Producing really large counters and maps to go with it could be a solution. Granted, it would be a niche within the niche, but for once you have to give CH credit for an innovative idea. It will probably work well enough for standard sized scenarios. Though, of course, it would be an extremely expensive solution requiring tons of new kit and counters.

von Marwitz
Well that makes sense. I do like the bigger fonts that MMP and others have used, but for myself the 1x1 and 2x2 is just too much space and money. Heck for all the 'official' boards I have and all the BFP, LCP boards and CH maps and boards I got plus all the official and BFP, LCP and CH counters I have enough storage troubles already.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Amen to that. When a small standard game begins at 24 square feet of map, you've got some serious rethinking to do. I have 2 of that size with a third shipping, and that may well be my limit.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ignore the idiot like I just did.
Hey!
I (used to) resemble that remark!
For the thousands of dollars I threw away on Critical Hit products, I was - WAS - an idiot.
Not one time did I have a satisfactory ASL experience for the thousands of dollars I paid CH.
Damaged components, missing components, substandard components...
Contact CH, you say? Yeah, sure... truly a nightmare. Insults, sneering...
Scenarios that had NEVER been playtested.
"Duh Ratt" loves to bash campaign games... truly a slick bit of misdirection on his part...
Can't even get a scenario right... how can CH do a campaign game that comes close to delivering what KG Scherer (Le Franc Tireur) or Festung Budapest (MMP) delivers?

Last edited:

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amen to that. When a small standard game begins at 24 square feet of map, you've got some serious rethinking to do. I have 2 of that size with a third shipping, and that may well be my limit.
Your kitty litter box is that big?

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Hey!
For the thousands of dollars I threw away on Critical Hit products, I was - WAS - an idiot.
Not one time did I have a satisfactory ASL experience for the thousands of dollars I paid CH.
Damaged components, missing components, substandard components...
Contact CH, you say? Yeah, sure... truly a nightmare. Insults, sneering...
Scenarios that had NEVER been playtested.
"Duh Ratt" loves to bash campaign games... truly a slick bit of misdirection on his part...
Can't even get a scenario right... how can CH do a campaign game that comes close to delivering what KG Scherer (Le Franc Tireur) or Festung Budapest (MMP) delivers?

I know what that's like. I'm in month 2 of trying to get a shipment corrected. But I've been a customer since 99 so I'm used to it by now.
Also I come to this more from miniatures than from boardgaming, so I test most of my CH products as toyboxes.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My experience with CH customer service has always been positive. The items I buy from them are pretty much not made by the other TPPs so in my case, they are the only participant in that market. Of course, shoehorning ASL into the American Civil War and probably WW1 is kind of silly. It does seem adequate for the somewhat later conflicts.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey!
I don't know about all that you say. It has been passed, on this very forum, buyer beware.
I have spent quite a bit of money on CH products and almost never completely disappointed. You had to buy with eyes wide open. CH's early stuff was usually a pretty solid purchase and I have played some very good CH scenarios.
The latest stuff is mostly just reprints of old stuff -buyer beware.