Any good storage methods for CH panel map packs?

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
a lot of off topic chatter ... but on topic. Unlike some I love the map panels, they aren't that hard to use, even setting up the 25+ panels for Omaha East and West took all of one hour and with good strategic use of double sided tape and dropping plexi over them there was no problem with them shifting during play. The real benefit of them is for use in smaller scenarios and not having a large used map on the table to play something that only uses a portion of the playing area. Much of the like of the panels is for ease of storage. I don't do anything special as far as storing them. I just have them stacked on a shelve in the closet, but much less bulky and takes up less space and less fragile than the old style folded maps which for me at least would rip if I looked at them the wrong way. Those map panels can take a bit of abuse which is nice.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
My goodness how big of an area is 25 map panels? I have had trouble enough with just the length of the standard maps lol, BTW I'll have to check to see if there any OE/OW for VASL...that was the only way I could play Berlin I and II combined...

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know about all that you say. It has been passed, on this very forum, buyer beware.
I have spent quite a bit of money on CH products and almost never completely disappointed. You had to buy with eyes wide open. CH's early stuff was usually a pretty solid purchase and I have played some very good CH scenarios.
The latest stuff is mostly just reprints of old stuff -buyer beware.
I agree! I’ve spent a fair amount on CH! But I am very selective and often wait to hear some reviews (except for the Post WWII stuff which always pick up and really enjoy). Likewise anytime I have had an issue I’ve contacted Maureen who is always helpful and friendly. No issues for me

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CH does have some interesting modules but the asking price for this stuff is just insane. Even with the discount, it is still not worth buying. Anyway, buyer beware with anything CH does release.

I agree! I’ve spent a fair amount on CH! But I am very selective and often wait to hear some reviews (except for the Post WWII stuff which always pick up and really enjoy). Likewise anytime I have had an issue I’ve contacted Maureen who is always helpful and friendly. No issues for me

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
I layout the map panels on my living room floor and sharpie the back of them 1-× in assembly order. For the supersized generic panel maps (Hot Stovepipe, the new HOTHEX releases) I set up the components of each supervised generic map and Sharpie the back of them 1a-1f etc for the Stovepipes and 1a-1d etc for the HOTHEX sets. This makes takedown for storage a breeze.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
My goodness how big of an area is 25 map panels? I have had trouble enough with just the length of the standard maps lol, BTW I'll have to check to see if there any OE/OW for VASL...that was the only way I could play Berlin I and II combined...
If they line up edge to edge, 37.5 square feet. If there is overlap, less. CH makes both types.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
37.5 feet? Oh my! To much for me. That is just crazy...

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I layout the map panels on my living room floor and sharpie the back of them 1-× in assembly order. For the supersized generic panel maps (Hot Stovepipe, the new HOTHEX releases) I set up the components of each supervised generic map and Sharpie the back of them 1a-1f etc for the Stovepipes and 1a-1d etc for the HOTHEX sets. This makes takedown for storage a breeze.
What are these HotHex sets? The blurb on the CH site is quite opaque to me.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Now imagine one of your favorite ASL battlefields. Blow the hex up from 5/8 of an inch side to side to 1.75 inches side to side (what CH calls monster sized) and then blown up to 2.2 inches side to side (what CH calls Giant scale). In many cases you can now buy the same product, a conventional 2x3 foot map published in 2x3 (6 square feet) 4x6 (24 square feet) or 6x9 (54 square feet). That's a whole bunch of 12x18 inch panels.
I'm not gonna calculate what you'd get if you ordered a multiman module produced at Giant scale....

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
What are these HotHex sets? The blurb on the CH site is quite opaque to me.
HOTHEX sets are sets of single panels blown up to Monster hex (1.75 inch side to side) scale. I have exactly 1 HOTHEX set, Teutonic Terror 4. There is a slight overlap between panels in assembly, so each of the 4 12x18 panels in the original release is replaced by 4 12x18 panels. With overlap figured in, the 4 components of 1 geomorphic panel measure 22x34 inches. Each set includes panels to create all the boards of the original set, so TT4 has 16 panels, Ultimate Desert Fox Core set has 24, etc.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
37.5 feet? Oh my! To much for me. That is just crazy...
Don,
the Texas ASL guys have been playing Normandy East/West for a few years now at their tournament (see the end of the fanzine: http://texas-asl.com/banzai/banzai22_2.pdf) and even produced their own set of rule mods (also on their website). I know there are pictures of them playing someplace (maybe here on GS?) but not sure.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
HOTHEX sets are sets of single panels blown up to Monster hex (1.75 inch side to side) scale. I have exactly 1 HOTHEX set, Teutonic Terror 4. There is a slight overlap between panels in assembly, so each of the 4 12x18 panels in the original release is replaced by 4 12x18 panels. With overlap figured in, the 4 components of 1 geomorphic panel measure 22x34 inches. Each set includes panels to create all the boards of the original set, so TT4 has 16 panels, Ultimate Desert Fox Core set has 24, etc.
I hope this helps.
That helps, but as they say: a picture is worth a thousand words. Can you post some pics of what you've got, with comparison maps?

Thanks.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
That helps, but as they say: a picture is worth a thousand words. Can you post some pics of what you've got, with comparison maps?

Thanks.
Can't do photos here. You can find a photo of a HOTHEX map next to its counterpart panel over at the ATS FB page.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pages of different hexsize discussion, but not a word about one of Duh Ratt's scenarios being played...

Meanwhile, over in the AAR section of the forum, of the 100 most recent AARs of ASL games, only one is a CH product - that was published in 1999.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Figured it out..didn't think I had posting privileges. 12x18 panel vs HOTHEX 22x34 version.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why the hate? Surely if you don't like CH stuff just stay out of its forums. What drives you to want to dictate to other people what they do or don't do when either way it doesn't affect you? Do please reply in a calm manner because I am genuinely interested.
So commenting on the low quality of CH products is, according to you, hate?
I'll rephrase:

you have defined hate as merely commenting on the low quality of CH products

Last edited: