Any Firefighters?

Stage

Member
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Location
St. Louis, Mo. USA
Country
llUnited States
I've got a question. I'm thinking seriously of becoming a firefighter and I was wondering if anybody here works with them or the EMS services?
 

Lt. Dan

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2003
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Country
llUnited States
I'm a Volunteer Firefighter and EMS Volunteer. It's extremely rewarding and a lot of fun.
 

JeremyScott

Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
228
Reaction score
0
Location
In A White Padded Room
Country
llUnited States
Stage its a very honorable job, and Id be proud if you could do it bro. Plus them firefighters are some of the most insane people in the world. Youd fit in perfectly. :devil:
 

Lt. Dan

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2003
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Country
llUnited States
Firefighters aren't insane. Running into a burning building isn't that big of a deal.
 

Leatherneck

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
Location
Ark, US-A
Country
llUnited States
I'm thinking that I might volunteer for Firefighter, but still I'm might joined CAP (Civil Air Patrol).
 

GeorgiaDixie

Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2004
Messages
254
Reaction score
0
Location
Savannah, GA
Country
llUnited States
I'm a volunteer firefighter and I enjoy it a lot. Its very rewarding and its a great way to serve your community. And I always get that warm feeling when somebody thanks you for helping to save their house, or just driving down the street and somebody hollers at you. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Oh, yeah, and the chicks dig it! :D
 

Rabbi

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Worth
Country
llUnited States
Everyone in the Navy is a fireman ;)

It's an honorable job man but you need to realize it doesn't pay squat.
 

GeorgiaDixie

Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2004
Messages
254
Reaction score
0
Location
Savannah, GA
Country
llUnited States
Rabbi said:
Everyone in the Navy is a fireman ;)

It's an honorable job man but you need to realize it doesn't pay squat.
It certainly doesn't have the best pay, but my dad has been a wildland firefighter since '72 for the U.S. Forest Service and he gets paid pretty good. As a chief for various different units, his rank is equivalent to the military rank of Colonel (figured it out b/c when working with the military, unless there's a general there, he's the highest ranking). He does a lot more than fight fires, though, since they use them for rescue operations, helping clean up hurricanes, and last year he spent 4 months leading a crew of a few thousand find pieces of the Columbia in the deepest, darkest places of Texas. He's gone about 6 months of every year fighting fires or other incidents, but he does get paid pretty good money. By the main thing is, he enjoys the hell out of it.
 

Lt. Dan

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2003
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Country
llUnited States
Leatherneck said:
I'm thinking that I might volunteer for Firefighter, but still I'm might joined CAP (Civil Air Patrol).
You should join the Civil Air Patrol. I was in it for about a year, and that was alot of fun. After a while though, it might get on your nerves like it did to me.
 

jthomas

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Location
Westchester, NY, USA
Country
llUnited States
I've been a volunteer FF for several years now- it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, I'll tell you that! Sign up and I'll be proud to call you Brother!

As far as the "insane" comment goes, I understand the spirit in which it was intended. Indeed my wife thinks I'm certifiable when it comes to this. Going into a burning building is indeed insane if you are unaware of the risks and have not taken any precautions to maximize your safety. Firefighters going into a burning building start with the following mindset:
a) Yeah, it's a BIG deal ( I think I understand your comment, tho, Lt.Dan- hear me out). At least guys will get into fights over who gets to take the knob!
b) You're not going in without the proper protective gear and training in how to use it.
c) you've got a crew to back you up.
d) you've got a Sh#$ load of wet stuff to put on the hot stuff.
e) you've got a commander who is watching for signs that it's time to get the hell out and go defensive if things go bad.

We spend a HUGE amount of time training for these situations, which in a typical suburban area may only account for 2 or 3% of your calls. However, we drill on it until many of the procedures we use are second nature. That way you can crouch at the door of a burning house with fire blowing out over your head and not dirty your knickers! Even then, it can get dicey....

Stage- you might want to consider doing BOTH, as most municipalities hiring FF's also want them to be at least EMT rated, if not EMT-P (paramedic).
Go to Firehouse.com- there is a huge forum there where you can get any and all questions answered.
 

jthomas

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Location
Westchester, NY, USA
Country
llUnited States
Leatherneck said:
Chick dig it? No kidding! I'll joined! :D
I dunno, like I said above, my wife thinks I'm a loon for even being a FF, much less enjoying it....Well, Hell, she pretty much thinks I'm a loon in general.
Maybe single chicks are different, but I'm not allowed to find out!
 

Stage

Member
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Location
St. Louis, Mo. USA
Country
llUnited States
jthomas said:
I've been a volunteer FF for several years now- it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, I'll tell you that! Sign up and I'll be proud to call you Brother!

As far as the "insane" comment goes, I understand the spirit in which it was intended. Indeed my wife thinks I'm certifiable when it comes to this. Going into a burning building is indeed insane if you are unaware of the risks and have not taken any precautions to maximize your safety. Firefighters going into a burning building start with the following mindset:
a) Yeah, it's a BIG deal ( I think I understand your comment, tho, Lt.Dan- hear me out). At least guys will get into fights over who gets to take the knob!
b) You're not going in without the proper protective gear and training in how to use it.
c) you've got a crew to back you up.
d) you've got a Sh#$ load of wet stuff to put on the hot stuff.
e) you've got a commander who is watching for signs that it's time to get the hell out and go defensive if things go bad.

We spend a HUGE amount of time training for these situations, which in a typical suburban area may only account for 2 or 3% of your calls. However, we drill on it until many of the procedures we use are second nature. That way you can crouch at the door of a burning house with fire blowing out over your head and not dirty your knickers! Even then, it can get dicey....

Stage- you might want to consider doing BOTH, as most municipalities hiring FF's also want them to be at least EMT rated, if not EMT-P (paramedic).
Go to Firehouse.com- there is a huge forum there where you can get any and all questions answered.

Thanks man! I really need this info. I'm going to see about going to the academy on Thursday.
 

jthomas

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Location
Westchester, NY, USA
Country
llUnited States
No problemo. The down side is this- we had a major house fire last night. I was at the scene humping hose until 2:30am this morning. Then it's up at 6:00am to take care of the munchkins and in to work. Right now, I'm running on caffeine, left-over halloween candy, and black mucus that's draining out of my sinuses. :eek: And I can't get the smell of smoke off my body!
Those poor SOB's lost everything last night, house and all posessions, both cars.
 
Top