Any comments on MMP'S pre order list

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do find it worrisome that this is being done outside the normal CWB channel(s) along with these little pearls of wisdom from BV2 principles: (go to the Barren Victory 2 specific folder on CSW for the proper context of the following)

from Adam Starkweather:

also:

from Mark Mahaffey (game artist):

and, responding to a CWBer asking the game not stray too far from the series norm:

:crosseye::nervous::confused::hmmm:​
DANG!!! Those guys make me look like Tiny Tim, tip-toeing through the tulips! I have several CWB games but I doubt I will be buying any more.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Fez,

Add to the mix the hostility and lack of patience or understanding of the design team towards the faithful series players in their responses to legitimate questions and concerns...well, the smell of revolt hangs heavy in the air.
I just got back into town from vacation in Vegas. Did I miss a renewal of the Bridge TEM Discussion?? :bite::smoke::laugh:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fez,

I just got back into town from vacation in Vegas. Did I miss a renewal of the Bridge TEM Discussion?? :bite::smoke::laugh:
No, I think he is rehashing his concerns about the plans for BSL. :clown:

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can't help myself... :)

"I just got back into town from vacation in Vegas."

Where you were asked to leave Ceasar's due to your insistence that the pit boss explain why the line bets on the crap table are suddenly using a -1 modifier. :)

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Line bets are already too overly weighted to the house, so I didn't bother. :laugh:

Roger R

Reaction score
Country
ll
What is the point of the pre-order list?

My thought on the MMP pre-order list is what do MMP get from it apart from grief and a loss of revenue.

Do MMP look on it as a way of market reseach as a way of gauging gamers intrest in a particular product before they assign resources to a product the way S&T magazine all well and good. If this is the case the time delay between listing and publication is acceptable but frustrating to joe public. Don't take your customers for fools be honest with them if the product is no where near completion tell us and we will spend our disposable income elsewhere.

MMP want commitment from its customers in the form of Credit Card details granted they don'y take the money till they ship unlike some operations which move in the ASL sphere or S&L for that matter but it is in my opinion anti-competitive as it deprives other suppliers of ASL related goods of making a sale.

Most of us have plenty of other demands on our disposable income wives, kids, college funds, etc and varying revenue streams ie an order placed in the Spring 2006 when everything in the garden was rosy blindsides you Fall 2007 puts you in the red and elicits an angry letter from your bank. So you think shall I shell out on the new product from HOB and you think better not VOTG might be out and the glut of ASL spending might raise eyebrows at the the dinner table with the wife when 2 high value ASL arrive when you have asked not to buy the other pair of shoes that month.

So what other reason could MMP have for a pre-order list?

Is it to ensure a guaranteed return on their investment by having a break even sales point sewn up. If this is the case MMP should close the pre-order list when the pre-order number is hit. In the case of VOTG MMP has blown $25k in this manner. Why do they do this reward the keen who support first then close the list and count the money. How many of the people over the 1000 order could have any complaint MMP is a business not a charity. The $25k saved could be used to benefit the ASL community as a whole as bigger MMP profits mean increased productivity.

If either of the 2 reasons above are true then why is Eisenhowers war still on the list. The pre-order number is static and has been for a while put it out of its misery can it as it cannot cut the mustard if you cannot convince enough people to buy it with discount then how do you expect to sell it at full price.

Q. What would MMP do if everyone decided to cancel their pre-order for VOTG and order a quality product called 'Guards of Valor' from a company in New York. Not gonna happen I know but humour me.

Do MMP a) Cancel the product realising that they have missed the boat and it never sees the light of day or
b) Pull VOTG off the pre-order list but continue development and production in secret finalise the product and release it unannounced at ASLOK 2011 and sell 2500 copies at full price with price tag increased in line with inflation to the slavering ASL dogs who buy everything official.

My take on the Blood Reef Tarawa guide was that it was a 90% completed labour of love presented to MMP as a fait de complis much the same as Mark's wonderful Few Returned project in my mind all that should have been needed on those two products when they hit the magic number was to press the green button marked start on the printer, which in fairness seemed to be the case for 'Few Returned' but then he does look scary in his photo.

So in summary why doesn't MMP have 2 lists one for declaration of intrest for products like VOTG, something that needs extensive work and a second pre-order list for projects closer to completion so as VOTG gets further on the devalopment track it can cross over from one list to another.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I realized from the get-go this product would take a while to get out the door.

Yes, two years is a long time.

My only real complaint is that now I have to update my card info, since the original expiry date has long passed.