Any chance a 3rd Ed. ASLRB will be published?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'd love to see a new edition of the RB. Updated to a more modern format to take advantage of the changes in printing and publishing over the last 30 years. I'm just not certain I want yo miss out on the equivalents of Hatten and Red Factories than will have yo be pushed back to make time and funds for such a monumental undertaking.

WAMedic

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a recent addition to the ASLSK family, I'm having those thoughts of one day moving to full ASL. As such, I check DAILY at the MMP web site to see if the RB is back in stock (and I do mean daily). There is no guarantee I will 'graduate' to full ASL but I would love for that to happen so I don't want to miss out simply because I can't locate a copy of the full RB (I ordered and have the pocket edition but clearly it is not the full RB).

As soon as the item is in stock at MMP, you'll have at least one customer. :)

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I ordered and have the pocket edition but clearly it is not the full RB
I applaud your interest in acquiring a binder rulebook, but there is no way I am aware of a pocket edition is less than the binder rulebook for the sections it covers. It does not include, for example, chapter W from the recent Forgotten War, but it should be complete and correct for pretty much everything else. A player should be able to play full ASL with only the pocket ASLRB with no problem.

JR

WAMedic

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I applaud your interest in acquiring a binder rulebook, but there is no way I am aware of a pocket edition is less than the binder rulebook for the sections it covers. It does not include, for example, chapter W from the recent Forgotten War, but it should be complete and correct for pretty much everything else. A player should be able to play full ASL with only the pocket ASLRB with no problem.

JR
Interesting....I was under the impression the pocket edition was missing some key charts or something along those lines.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Interesting....I was under the impression the pocket edition was missing some key charts or something along those lines.
Ah, in that sense you are right. The pocket rulebook does not include the various charts (e.g. the To Hit chart), and without one of the two players having a copy you could not play. I was thinking that you meant the text of the rules was somehow bowdlerized.

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
What the Pocket RB lacks, and that you cannot get separately (the chapter dividers, at least, are sold separately when they are not out of print) is the Chapter H, most importantly the German and Russian notes - which, strangely enough, are not included in Beyond Valor. I suppose this is for historical reasons (back when there was only the rules binder and Beyond Valor, and you obviously needed to get both to play, it didn't matter much which product included them), but in the current situation it is really annoying.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
speaking of Chapter H and the German-Russian pages. I've got a question perhaps someone can help with I've been meaning to ask and the thread reminds me to ask.

When I got the H.P Finn module and you got those additional Chapt H pages I noticed they were in a different format than the chapter H pages I have. Page numbers did not match. I suspect I am missing the most current version of the core German-Russian pages. I have the ones marked year 2000.. if I remember right that was with the 2nd ed. Rulebook.. or was it B.V?

if that isn't the most current version of those pages, what is and what does one need to get to get them. Thanks guys in advance for any help.

and count me in with a strong HELL YEAH at the chance of seeing a 3rd edition rulebook

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
When I got the H.P Finn module and you got those additional Chapt H pages I noticed they were in a different format than the chapter H pages I have. Page numbers did not match. I suspect I am missing the most current version of the core German-Russian pages. I have the ones marked year 2000.. if I remember right that was with the 2nd ed. Rulebook.. or was it B.V?
Those with copyright year 2000 are the latest ones - from the 2nd Edition of the rules.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
you da man Klas.. here have a thumbs up.. two of them in fact

I had hoped I was up to date. I am pretty anal about that, even to point of buying things like H.P. that I have as much interest in as I do with having my soul drained again by a satanic and slightly unhinged mentally redheaded playboy centerfold reject. good times man...

but what sort of tossed me off.. and really hit my OCD like a jackhammer.. like the aforementioned redhead was the page lettering. Page H29 on the revised vehicle notes puts it within the ordnance notes. Not a big deal, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a more current Chap H than I had where the page numbering was on point.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
How about taking the existing rules and creating a really good digital index? More entries. Give more than a cryptic "A3.2.45.7" and display the name of the sub-section.

Not knowing what version a sheet of info or divider is, is also a problem. The info exists, but hard to find.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Chapter H page numbering stopped making sense several modules ago.

The page numbers tell you where to insert them. As long as they are different in some respect to the pages you already have, then they are additions.

The only time you replace a page is when the page number is identical and the date on the page is newer. There haven't been many replaced pages in Chapter H* (hence the screwy page numbering) -- off the top of my head I can only think of the 2nd printing AoO pages replacing 1st printing AoO pages. And even those were more revised layout rather than revised text.

* I mean, newer 2nd ed. pages replacing older 2nd ed. pages. Of course many 2nd ed. pages have replaced 1st ed. pages!

From memory, the current general layout of a (complete) official Chapter H would look like the following (NRBH so I can't quote exact page numbers; apologies for any errors or omissions):

German Vehicles & Ordnance 2nd ed. rulebook
Russian Vehicles & Ordnance 2nd ed. rulebook
More Russian Vehicles & Ordnance H-P
American Vehicles & Ordnance Yanks 2nd ed.
Commonwealth Vehicles & Ordnance For King and Country (either printing)
Italian Vehicles & Ordnance Hollow Legions (MMP printing)
Japanese Vehicles & Ordnance Rising Sun
Chinese Vehicles & Ordnance Rising Sun
Allied Landing Craft Rising Sun
Japanese Landing Craft Rising Sun
French Vehicles & Ordnance Croix de Guerre 1st edition
Allied Minor Vehicles & Ordnance Doomed Battalions 3rd ed.
Axis Minor Vehicles & Ordnance Armies of Oblivion (either printing, but 2nd printing supercedes 1st printing)
More German & Russian Vehicles Armies of Oblivion (1st printing only)
Finnish Vehicles & Ordnance H-P
Korean War (various nationalities) Vehicles & Ordnance
Forgotten War

Trivia Notes: I can't recall if the MMP printing of HL predated the first printing of the 2nd ed. rules; if it did, that means the HL Chapter H pages are the oldest 2nd ed. format pages.
The entire Lend-Lease vehicles section of the original Russian pages has been replaced by the much more comprehensive section in the additional pages provided in H-P; but the relevant pages were not replaced, so the Lend-Lease vehicles show up twice (with the same numbers).
The page with the additional German and Russian vehicles from 1st printing AoO was (deliberately) omitted from the 2nd printing because the H-P pages included the Russian vehicle (the Komsomolets). The two German vehicles (the partly-armoured halftrack from VotG and the StürmTiger from OV) no longer exist within Chapter H. Make of that what you will.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If there IS ever a 3rd edition rule book in print form, I'd vote for ditching the hole-punched sheets in favor of more usable space per page (since I'm going to just put the dang thing in sheet protectors anyway). Also, change the chapter dividers from hole-punched, folded card stock, where the folds are often in very inconvenient places, to a series of separate card stock (non-hole punched, again) 8.5 x 11 inch pages.

Just my 2 cents worth ...

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...The two German vehicles (the partly-armoured halftrack from VotG and the StürmTiger from OV) no longer exist within Chapter H. Make of that what you will.
They still exist as Vehicle Notes in Chapter H - page H169 in AoO 2nd Edition. But perhaps you meant they no longer exist in any Vehicle Listings?