Any board gamers out there?

Mickles

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board Games?

With a 5 year old taking up plenty of time my boardgaming is in suspension. However I prefer them to computer games because of the face to face interraction. Strategically "World in Flames"; operationally "Europa"; and tactically

"ASL" have to be my preferences. Are there any others that compare in detail? I would be glad to know.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started with AH's Panzer Leader in 1983 and i still game today. I boxed everything up and didn't really play except for a few Squad Leader or Space Hulk games for 9 years. During those 9 years i collected back issues of S&T (w/ or w/o the game) and Command. Just this last year I bought my first house ever and now I have a wonderful "Fortress of Solitude" where i can work on my gaming as long as i want.

I still play early '90's-era Warhammer/WH40K/WH Epic games.
Squad Leader (ASL went out of print before i could get a copy)
Panzer Leader
Panzerblitz
Arab-Israeli Wars
Traveller
Many many many S&T/Command/Wargamer games...
OGRE/GEV
D&D
Battletech
Fire & Movement

During the years i was unable to play my old-school games i played lots of games on PC like Steel Panthers, East Front, Age or Rifles, Civ2, Warcraft, Starcraft, Panzer General, a couple of ACW games, too called something like Lee vs.Grant ...they were fun.

Nowadays I do no PC gaming-only piece pushing "real" games and i play console video games on my xbox, gamecube, and PS2.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Question

Originally posted by Fenrir
I started with AH's Panzer Leader in 1983 and i still game today. I boxed everything up and didn't really play except for a few Squad Leader or Space Hulk games for 9 years. During those 9 years i collected back issues of S&T (w/ or w/o the game) and Command. Just this last year I bought my first house ever and now I have a wonderful "Fortress of Solitude" where i can work on my gaming as long as i want.

I still play early '90's-era Warhammer/WH40K/WH Epic games.
Squad Leader (ASL went out of print before i could get a copy)
Panzer Leader
Panzerblitz
Arab-Israeli Wars
Traveller
Many many many S&T/Command/Wargamer games...
OGRE/GEV
D&D
Battletech
Fire & Movement

During the years i was unable to play my old-school games i played lots of games on PC like Steel Panthers, East Front, Age or Rifles, Civ2, Warcraft, Starcraft, Panzer General, a couple of ACW games, too called something like Lee vs.Grant ...they were fun.

Nowadays I do no PC gaming-only piece pushing "real" games and i play console video games on my xbox, gamecube, and PS2.
Have you tried anything from The Gamers, now owned by MMP (the folks who have the current license for ASL. MMP was started by Curt Schilling after AH was bought out by Hasbro. Schilling and friends are die hard ASL fans who had an inkling that Hasbro would not carryforward the ASL line.). The Gamers are the guys who specialize in games following the general guidelines of a series, so if you can play one game, you can play the next in the series without any trouble at all. The follow up games are not modules, but stand alone games with the same basic rules. The series titles are: CWB (Civil War Brigade), RSS (Regimental Sub-Series of the CWB), OCS (Operational Combat Series), NBS (Napoleonic Brigade Series), TCS (Tactical Combat Series) and SCS (Standard Combat Series).

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Man I don't remember if I posted here or not -- I got into wargaming - as a logical extension to building models as a kid -- the computer I had - had a cassette player -and my first computer game was some cassette game on the Russian Front...

I think it was an Atari 400 :banana: My first wargame -about 1977 -was War at Sea. my second Woodne Ships and Iron Men - and I'm sure a lot of people might find this hard to believe - but I bought both of them at a drug store.

My favorite series - had been Europa -although I have not played one of those in over 15 years... no time -- get older -more money, less time .. an unhappy medium in terms of actually playing board games. I had most of the big selling systems through the years...

Favorite non-WWII game was the Great Battles of the Civil War Series - which I think I got every title put out by SPI and later TSR (but am missing all but 3Dof from GMT).

Most probably series I miht try playing is GMT's East Front series -or possibly GRD's WWI games -although the rule book for that one is like a Chicago phone book - if you include all of the oobs etc.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Question

Originally posted by Tom DeFranco
Have you tried anything from The Gamers, now owned by MMP (the folks who have the current license for ASL. MMP was started by Curt Schilling after AH was bought out by Hasbro. Schilling and friends are die hard ASL fans who had an inkling that Hasbro would not carryforward the ASL line.). The Gamers are the guys who specialize in games following the general guidelines of a series, so if you can play one game, you can play the next in the series without any trouble at all. The follow up games are not modules, but stand alone games with the same basic rules. The series titles are: CWB (Civil War Brigade), RSS (Regimental Sub-Series of the CWB), OCS (Operational Combat Series), NBS (Napoleonic Brigade Series), TCS (Tactical Combat Series) and SCS (Standard Combat Series).
I've seen thier ads in S&T and have seen thier games in stores but I don't own one yet. I'm excited for MMP to re-issue the ASL rules as I'm keen on learning that system.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
MMP is slow, production wise, but

they do appear to be trying, now. They had problems producing things for a while. Dean Essig, who was the head honcho at The Gamers, is now responsible for getting at least part of the product line out.

If you like ASL, you may also like the TCS. It is platoon level WW II and Korean War action (with individual vehicles). So far, the series has included, the 110 regiment's stand at the Bulge, the Huertgen Forest (taking the town of Schmidt), Omaha Beach (the 1st ID's and part of the 29th ID's sector), French v. Germans at Stonne in 1940, fighting along the Matanikau on Guadalcanal, Nazi Spaniards v. Soviets near Leningrad early 1943, Invasion of Crete 1941, Invasion of Leros 1943, Nazis v. Soviets near Moscow 10/41, British sector at Anzio 2/44, Early Korean War US Marines v. NKPA and Chinese Commies 1950, Finns v. Soviets 1940, and the 101st AB v. Nazis at Veghel 9/44. Bloody Ridge on Guadalcanal is in the pre-order stage, with the game already thoroughly playtested.

Of course these are platoons as opposed to squads, maps are not geomorphic but represent the real area involved, hexes at 125 yds per, there is a C & C system in the game, and tank combat is more simplified than ASL. I've never played ASL, so I cannot judge it, I have played and like SL and I like that, but I love the TCS series. Semper Fi (Korean War marines) and Hunters From the Sky (Crete) are the easiest to get into as the C & C system is non existent or only oartly used.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CABS MEETING

Friday the 5th ... (Tomorrow)

The Columbus Area Boardgaming Society will be holding a meeting. We meet the ODD Fridays of the month at the MOSSL offices. Check out www.buckeyeboardgamers.org for directions.

We will be playing many wargames including ASL !!!

(We also play many EUROGAMES !!!)

Sorry NO computer, ccg, or role playing games will be going on ...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The Wargamers are in the upper right out of the picture and along the wall behind the photographer ...

50+ at a meeting about 1/3 are wargaming ...

Pastor Gross

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Long-time Avalon Hill fan

Though I have little time now, and little space to secure a board game with my four kids in the house (youngest is almost four), I still have quite a few of my Avalon Hill board games. I try to break out Battle of the Bulge every Christmastime. Once in a while I set up a scenario of War and Peace (I wrote some optional rules for the Campaign game to make it more historical--they're kind of long-winded, though). I love to play 1776, but don't like the scenarios much, and so I only play the very-long campaign game (last time was about six or seven years ago). I'd love to find Caesar--Alesia again. Looked on the web a few years ago, but none to be found. Sometimes in the Summer I'll find time to play The Russian Campaign. But I play everything solitaire, since I don't have nearby opponents (my brother and I used to play, but that was way back before college, 25 years ago).
I'd still like to find a computer game(s) that simulate boardgames accurately. Not much luck there. :-(
Take care!

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pastor Gross - Have you ever tried the computer game "The Operational Art of War"? Many of us believe it's one of the best computer wargames made. It's getting on in years but there is a die-hard community dedicated to PBEM with it. It might fill your craving to play some good board games and at 2-3 turns a week by email it might fit your schedule. plus no counters for the kids, dogs, cats to wipe out!
Welcome to Armchair General! :halo:

Wargamenut

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Advanced Tobruk

The best game system out there now is "ATS" for Advanced Tobruk System. They bought the rights to the old Tobruk from Avalon Hill and did a major update. I've been playing it and it's great solo. Armchair General ought to get in touch with these guys at Critical Hit - they have their own site at www.criticalhit.com.

Wargamenut

Joisey

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're Not Dead Yet!

I'm a current board wargamer, and belong to a club. We are stretched rather thin in the Midatlantic region, with our Southernmost member living in Maryland and our Northernmost living in Bergen county NJ. There are 5 of us, including myself.

We normally play Europa/Scorched Earth. We meet at a member's house down in Gloucester County where we have a custom table that holds the entire Europa map. Right now we just finished a game that lasted two years (German minor victory) and we are going to take a break and catch our breath with a campaign of Empires in Arms. We start this Saturday. I'm playing as Russia in the 1805 Grand Campaign. We've also played with the 1798 variant, which I think is actually more fun.

I recently bought Eagles Games ATTACK with the expansion, and "playtested" a game by myself to get a feel for it. I'd certainly be up for an opponent.

Does Battleship count? Unfortunately, that's as far as my 5 year old son has gotten in the way of wargames so far.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Just started playing...

...MacArthur's Return. The X Corps just landed near Tacloban and the early amphibious attacks had worked with a minimum of US losses. There were some losses while going in on the landing craft, but the fighting has been rather one sided. I assume it will get rougher when I approach Carimara.

This afternoon I will play something easy against another opponent. Maybe the SCS by the Gamers.