Any board gamers out there?

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got an interesting email today from a fan of board games and he wanted to make sure we give them some attention in our reviews and articles. I have been away from board games for years now...other than to break them out once in a while and remember some fond games. :cool:

What are people playing these days? ASL? World in Flames? Or classics such as Third Reich?

Ichibrothers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark H. Walker's "Lock 'N Load..Forgotten Heroes: Vietnam"....which is a tactical level boardgame obviously set in Vietnam. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out here:

http://www.locknloadgame.com/

It is a real blast....fast playing and intense. While you are at the site, be sure to check out the Flash example of play! It is really cool!!!

Wish I could play face to face, but as many of you know, real life gets in the way. So, I play "LnL" live on the internet using Rod Kinney's awesome VASSAL program. When you got four kids and a cat, it is an good way to stay in the game so to speak.

http://www.vassalengine.org/index.html

There are quite a few modules already available for VASSAL.....obviously VASL (Virtual ASL) is one of them, but I highly recommend that you download the LnL demo in VASSAL format. Complete with rules and scenarios!! I know it is great fun because I put the VASSAL module together!! He, he....lucky me to be a playtester and module builder for such an awesome game!

Other than that.....hmmmm......ASL of course. Always enjoyed AH's "Devil's Den" (sort of a ACW tactical level game....depicts the battle for the two Roundtops). "Wooden Ships 'n Iron Men".....can't go wrong there. Damn shame that can't play FtF enough (or at all more like).......Thank the heavens, and Rodney, for VASSAL!!!!!

Jim Cobb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For a fast but elegant game, "A House Divided", republished by Phalanx.

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't mean this as a shameless plug but our premiere issue of Armchair General comes with a Free board game by Mark H. Walker. He developed it exclusively for our magazine. It is a solitaire game of Operation Iraqi Freedom! I've played it and it is FUN! ;)

swamplizard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"A House Divided"

Is this the same board game that was originally published by GDW? There are cities connected by railroads, roads, rivers and the units are promoted through battle etc?

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The only wargame I play since a long time now is ASL, except little game found in a French magazine, which are very interesting wargame that you can play rapidly.
Now, with my friends, I tend to play boardgames like Republic of Rome, Junta, Kingmaker, games that you play with more than 2 players, and where there is diplomacy. I like them a lot.
A good way to play boardgame in PBEM is to use system as VASSAL, as explained by Ichibrothers. There is Cyberboard too there.
http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/

LaPalice.

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Musing About Wargames

Had to respond to a number of these missives. Yes, there are board gamers on this list. I'm one of them--and wish I had more time than I do to play them. Am learning Avalanche's PANZERGRENADIER series because I cannot find too many ASL players here on Okinawa and I have a hectic schedule...so I need stuff that's really short and easy to teach. Don't know how long ADVANCED THIRD REICH will last as it has been superseded in two venues: Avalanche's return to a more simple game for both THIRD REICH and RISING SUN (titled something differently and I can't remember this right now) and Bruce Harper's magnum opus for GMT, A WORLD AT WAR. As far as computer games go, I liked the old CLOSE COMBAT series, TACOPS, BCT, ATF, and DECISIVE ACTION...these appeal to military guys like me. "First Person Shooter" arcade computer games are getting a lot better, thank goodness.

From my perspective as a Marine colonel with over 22 years of service, wargames do help to teach tactical fundamentals and quick thinking, but have a great deal of limitations. Still, they are worth getting involved in and I attribute much of my success in my career to playing them repeatedly over the years. The best rationale for wargaming in military training is to achieve a higher level of cohesion within a unit. Members learn how each other thinks in a competitive environment, which makes for better (and faster) tactical execution in the field.

mentis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The previously mentioned A House Divided by Phalanx Games is the third edition of Frank Chadwick's classic strategic level American Civil War game originally published by Game Designers Workshop (GDW). The Phalanx edition brings this solid, fast playing game back into print with excellent production quality (mounted board, really thick die cut counters, rules on coated paper) for American wargames, but maybe not quite up to the standard for eurogames (Phalanx is more of a eurogame publisher).

I was eager to buy this new version since I have always enjoyed strategic and grand-strategic level games, such as Civilization (AH, not Eagle version), History of the World, and Age of Renaissance.

A more recent grand-strategic level game that I have starting playing is Soldier Kings from Avalanche Press. I have also made my first foray into their Panzer Grenadier series (quick playing platoon level combat) with the recent release of Guadalcanal, their first release for the Pacific Theater.

I have also been enjoying the games appearing in Against the Odds, a broad perspective military history magazine with a wargame every issue (like the venerable Strategy & Tactics, which is still in production).

FWIW, old ASL players may not know that Multi Man Publishing (MMP) is producing new ASL material. Last month they released For King and Country , the complete British order of battle along with 20 out of print scenarios. MMP is are currently taking preorders for Armies of Oblivion, the final core module of the WWII Axis Minor powers (Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian) infantry, vehicles, and ordnance. MMP also publishes the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series (formerly with Avalon Hill), and continues the Gamers' lines, including new entries in the Civil War Brigade Series and Regimental Sub Series.

swamplizard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
House Divided

Is there a substantial difference in play/map design between the GDW and Phalanx versions?

mentis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A House Divided

Is there a substantial difference in play/map design between the GDW and Phalanx versions?
The Phalanx version (3rd edition) substantially uses the GDW 2nd edition rules. The map lay out is the same as the 2nd edition, but is physically larger. The Phalanx version has basic, advanced, and many optional rules, which can be added a la carte.

Anyone buying the 3rd edition should check out Alan Emrich's website for errata, clarrifications, additional optional rules, and four page player aid mat. Alan also explains the rules dropped from 1st to 2nd edition with the language updated to be compatible with 2nd/3rd edition, if you want to try those out as well. Also useful is Chris Farrell's analysis of the optional rules.

swamplizard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
House Divided

I have the 1st ed GDW, but will go to the site you listed.
Thanks for the info.

best regards,
swampy

Deathdealer6

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
also a "Push the counter" player here. Mostly play more family oriented games these days (Risk and so on), but the wife says I still don't "Play", I attack! I've found it hard to make time, coordinate with other palyers for more in depth games, but there's still a lot to be said for the way we did things in our youth (I'm almost 48). the computer definitely makes it easier to get an opponent quickly and you don't have to worry about the wife/kids upsetting the map!
John

Xena ~HS~

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have so many board games in this house I am not going to attempt to type them all, Triaxe collects them. I have played a few of them, but with us being so comp addicted it is hard to break away and get one going. Our newest purchase still brand new in the box is Napoleon in Europe, beuatiful but huge board. http://www.eaglegames.net/products/NIE/nie.shtml

Jason C.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have just perchased The American Civil War by Eagle Games does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it better. There are some problems (like lack of room on the board). I think it is a good game but I am used to Risk and WWII games and have never played House Divided so i dont have any comparison.

Triaxe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think if you check the link to Eagle games in the previous thread you'll find any erratta or updates listed they have for the game.
Still have about 50 bookshelf wargames and around 30 magazine games and some of the big box games like Axis and Allies, Napolean in Europe and Battle of Britain.
I miss the boardgaming sometimes but I don't miss the bookeeping and occasional nuke attack on the board and counters.:(

Ichibrothers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Triaxe,
I know it is not the same as playing with the real thing, ftf with a buddy, but take a look at VASSAL. I have 4 kids, a cat, and no space. No way I can leave something set up and play a turn every now and then. VASSAL allows me to play my favorite games and not have to worry about the FOBA......Feline On-Board Artillery...(http://users.bigpond.net.au/mantis/ASL/FOBA.htm). I can even play live over the net when I wish. It is a win win situation. Check it out here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/

The latest version really ROCKS! I've just posted a module of one of my favorite classics...Wooden Ships & Iron Men. Give it some thought....you will not be dissappointed.

Bill

Triaxe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks I will check it out. I think I visited that site some time ago and one question I had was do the game modules actually incorporate the rules to that game or do you still have to keep track of the rules of play personally?
LoL, I don't worry much about the FOBA, I worry more about the DTMS (Dog tail map sweep) Need a higher table I guess.:)

Ichibrothers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope. Must keep track of everything yourself....though the ASL module has a very handy LOS feature. Some modules may have some sort of record keeping or some such, but there is nothing rule based that is automatically activated if that is what you mean. No AI at all...it's all on you. As it should be...lol.

If you want something different....there is a gent attempting to do ASL with AI!! You play against the computer.... Can check that out here:

http://www.thuring.com/asl/jasl/index.html

Bill