Any article or playing aid for Panjis?

msoong38

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
encountering panjis for the first time in my next pto pbem game. Reading the rules and my eye is blazing over. Any helper material out there?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Please MMP, I beg you, give me an axe, i cut the panjis rules by two thirds and we are finally going to see and enjoy panjis in scenarios !! :)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Other than "Don't walk onto one!", I don't think I can help.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
encountering panjis for the first time in my next pto pbem game. Reading the rules and my eye is blazing over. Any helper material out there?
Tip from the Trenches; delete the Panji rules
Ask about Animal-Pack , my reply will start with "delete it":)

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The fact that panjis hardly ever appear in scenarios speaks of their bad representation in the ASL system.
I would plead for an official alternative.
And if someone screams that it would overthrow the design of the rare scenarios which use panjis, well, the new alternate version would be used in new scenario designs.
I think that a rule comparable with wire (with some more severe effects on morale) could be quite easily crafted.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
(OT)
I was at Alesia the other day, where Julius Ceasar decisively defeated Gallic tribes (52bc) and the Romans used extensively "panjis" at the foot of their fortifications to break the momentum of rushing Gallic foot soldiers. As one can see, it's a very old technique that deserves some showing in ASL.
(End OT)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I hardly ever see references in WWII histories to things that are punjis or punji-like, even in places you might think they might be common. Perhaps someone could say where they were common.

JR

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
The fact that panjis hardly ever appear in scenarios speaks of their bad representation in the ASL system.
And if someone screams that it would overthrow the design of the rare scenarios which use panjis, well, the new alternate version would be used in new scenario designs.
I think that a rule comparable with wire (with some more severe effects on morale) could be quite easily crafted.
They appear so rarely in fact, that even the most conservative minded among us could probably live with a complete rewrite. It'd affect the balance on, what, two official extant scenarios?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Whispering, shy voice: "... and if alternate, streamlined rules were also designed for caves and seaborne assaults...
But hush! Someone could be hearing!"
(sound of scuttling feet and shadow fading away into the darkness)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Tiger traps would be nice too.
There were in Battle Hymn, the PTO version of Ambush!

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes!
And hopefully any reasonable, workable modification will be created before the appearance of a 'official ' Vietnam ASL module.
No expectations though.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
before the appearance of a 'official ' Vietnam ASL module.
Vietnam ASL? The Korea ASL module was in playtest since the late (mid?) 1990s, and hasn't yet been released; why would Vietnam ASL take less than 20 years to publish? Most ASL players will be unable to play ASL 20 years from now, even if they want to play Vietnam ASL.

Reactions: Roy

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(OT)
I was at Alesia the other day, where Julius Ceasar decisively defeated Gallic tribes (52bc) and the Romans used extensively "panjis" at the foot of their fortifications to break the momentum of rushing Gallic foot soldiers. As one can see, it's a very old technique that deserves some showing in ASL.
(End OT)
Were they panjis or abatis? Of course this makes a world of difference. ;)