Any article or playing aid for Panjis?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was at Alesia the other day, where Julius Ceasar decisively defeated Gallic tribes (52bc) and the Romans used extensively "panjis" at the foot of their fortifications to break the momentum of rushing Gallic foot soldiers.
Clearly the Gauls were confused by the rules too.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the OP, as I am sure you have figured out by now, Panji's are rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth. Generally speaking, to do an ASL article, it normally is on a topic that comes up with at least some, regularity. As also noted, the rules are pretty friggin complex, which has no doubt had something to do with how rare they are in scenarios.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Panjis are what happen when you whine too much about wire. Be careful what you wish for.

This is possibly a quick-and-dirty summary. No guarantees on correctness, however.

Infantry:
Enter across a covered hexside = normal cost but take panji NMC (no HOB) unless stack is moving carefully (assault move, armored assault, low crawl, normal advance=not vs. difficult terrain, in trench or tunnel, or if forced back by A12.15). If the moving stack contains > one unit, select one randomly (i.e. no ties) to take the NMC & others take PTC. Human Wave or Berserk stack *all* take NMC. Doubles < 12 on NMC = CR even if NMC passed.

Bypass is n/a along a covered hexside in either hex. Unit "bounces back" but does not end MPh. [G9.46]

Infantry that successfully enter a Panji hex across a covered hexside are placed above the panji. Units above a panji may move beneath it for one MF with no panji NMC. Units above a panji may not move/advance/rout out of the hex without moving beneath first. Units above a panji may only use limited weapons and get various CC penalties [G9.21, G9.211]. Being above panjis cause continuous concealment loss. Units above a panji counter may not search.

Panjis cause search casualties if the search crosses a covered hexside.

Units that enter across a non-covered hexside are placed beneath the panji.

Panjis may be eliminated by various means, mostly involving high explosives or picks and shovels [G9.7].

It is considered rude to pick your teeth at the gaming table with a panji counter and/or an actual panji.

Dummies:
Eliminated per A12.11 [G9.4]

Things besides infantry & dummies:
Left as an exercise for the interested player.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I played a scenario including Panjis (A82 Orange at Walawbum) as one of my very first PTO scenarios.

I do not remember the Panjis being overly complicated in that scenario. But maybe I just didn't get the rules... ;)

von Marwitz

buser333

Reaction score
I played a scenario including Panjis (A82 Orange at Walawbum) as one of my very first PTO scenarios.

I do not remember the Panjis being overly complicated in that scenario. But maybe I just didn't get the rules... ;)

von Marwitz
I have not been shy in expressing my opinion that a lot of Chapter E and parts of Chapter G are poorly written or organized, but I do not find panjis overly difficult either. I will say I have never played a scenario where both panjis and vehicles were involved. Perhaps this would change my opinion.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
13 Jungle Citadel is a pretty good scenario with Panji. BFP67Coke Hill is another one. No, Panjis ain’t too bad.

Reactions: GoM

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panjis are what happen when you whine too much about wire. Be careful what you wish for.

This is possibly a quick-and-dirty summary. No guarantees on correctness, however.

Infantry:
Enter across a covered hexside = normal cost but take panji NMC (no HOB) unless stack is moving carefully (assault move, armored assault, low crawl, normal advance=not vs. difficult terrain, in trench or tunnel, or if forced back by A12.15). If the moving stack contains > one unit, select one randomly (i.e. no ties) to take the NMC & others take PTC. Human Wave or Berserk stack *all* take NMC. Doubles < 12 on NMC = CR even if NMC passed.

Bypass is n/a along a covered hexside in either hex. Unit "bounces back" but does not end MPh. [G9.46]

Infantry that successfully enter a Panji hex across a covered hexside are placed above the panji. Units above a panji may move beneath it for one MF with no panji NMC. Units above a panji may not move/advance/rout out of the hex without moving beneath first. Units above a panji may only use limited weapons and get various CC penalties [G9.21, G9.211]. Being above panjis cause continuous concealment loss. Units above a panji counter may not search.

Panjis cause search casualties if the search crosses a covered hexside.

Units that enter across a non-covered hexside are placed beneath the panji.

Panjis may be eliminated by various means, mostly involving high explosives or picks and shovels [G9.7].

It is considered rude to pick your teeth at the gaming table with a panji counter and/or an actual panji.

Dummies:
Eliminated per A12.11 [G9.4]

Things besides infantry & dummies:
Left as an exercise for the interested player.

JR
Excellent summary. Now, why can't the rules just say this??

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If panji rules had been as simple as wire rules, they would appear in much more scenarios.
The volume of rules for what should be a rather simple fortification is excessive, compared with wire, for an example.
Making panjis a hex fortification would have helped.