Anti-Virus programs

FireCap20

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
norton is all right but im talking about online free protection. A friend of mine found a program that alerts you to trojans, virus, and spy wheare as soon as you enter a site or open a file that contanins them. It really good but i can't seem to get in contact with him since he went to a new collage.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know about online virus protection, but AVG Anti-Virus is good and free, and it resides on your computer.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

A solution that resides on your computer is better than an online virus checker in that it provides real-time protection. It can nip the virus at the bud before it actually implants itself in your computer. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
AntiVir is my choice for very good, very free, free updates, and it is user friendly and can keep up in performance with the best of the best out there.

http://www.free-av.com/

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
AntiVir is my choice for very good, very free, free updates, and it is user friendly and can keep up in performance with the best of the best out there.

http://www.free-av.com/
I use that on one of my computers....you just have to give some points to the AV program thats virus scanner is called "Luke Filewalker" :p

jorge

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Norton in my computer... but I sometimes have problems caused by it. It protects... but at leat in my machine causes some weird warnings. Perhaps some instalation problem, it didn´t run smoothly. But works quite well hunting troyans

Beardo1976

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llUnited States
I have been using AVG for some time now and I have never had any problems. It's user friendly, updates regularly and its FREE!!

Jason

Rockhopper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
McAfee here. Lots of people don't care for it, as it is a tad bloated, but heck, RAM is cheap!

Oh, BTW, both their virus software and their firewall are FREE for home use for anyone associated with the US Department of Defense.

The DISA enterprise license contract #DCA100-02-C-4046 (10/01/05 - 9/30/06) with Network Associates allows active DoD employees to use the anti-virus software distributed by the DoD-CERT for home use.
http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/affiliates/dod/landingpages/?affid=106-01

liuzg150181

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
Not trying to be a wet blanket,but after an ordeal with my PC last year i distrust free anti-virus software.........:(

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
I've had problems with the two commercial biggies in the past (software conflicts, etc) which caused me more headaches than any virus I've ever had.

Last two years I use AVG. Because of a site my wife and I run, we get lots and lots of virus sent to us through email. It's caught everyone. It's light and doesn't slow down your puter.

No complaints. As Don said obviously no single prog catches everything, but so long as expectations are realistic, I think this is above grade (especially being free). As always 90% of virus protection is smart internet use. :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've used Norton for almost twenty years problem free, for Mac and PC. Symantec and Mcafee are the gold standards. I've also used AVG, however, without any problems. Still, I suspect that the big guys are going to cut off an emerging virus/trojan/etc faster than the little guys. It's just logical.

Bear in mind that an anti-virus program can only go so far. You have to use some common sence when surfing the net and clicking on emails. Consider turning off "preview" in your email programs as well. That will cut down on the amount of spam you get too. Email marketers will use images on their hosted server. When you view the email a request for that image actually goes to their server. Your address is then verified as active and, viola, spam.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I used Norton at my office until my HD crashed, one month ago.
I had a downloaded upgrade (from Norton AV 2001 to Norton AV professional 2004).
I asked for help, and all they could answer was : please uninstall your Norton and reinstall it.
I re-told them that my HD had crashed and that I had a new one : no way to 'uninstall' my AV program.
They then answered I was to buy the 2006 version (and they would take in account my current subscription).

They lost a customer and now I am using Bitdefender (free version).
As my emails are filtered by my providers (I have had no virus alert for about 18 months, using Norton - and McAffee at home), I think the risks of being infected are reduced.
I use McAffee security center at home, and it works fine.
I have been using ZoneAlarm as a firewall for years, and it works well too.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The "perfect" solution, for my own opinion, is to reinstall the OS after formatting the full hard drive between 6 months to a year, regardless if it "looks" like it "needs" it.

Because I do this, I have no real idea what computer troubles look like. Must be because nothing survives long enough to be one.

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition for some time, backed up by AdAware and Spybot. (And I'd have to add that registration money for AdAware for my dad's PC (Christmas present) was some of the best money I'd ever spent ;) )

Robin said:
I used Norton at my office until my HD crashed, one month ago.
I had a downloaded upgrade (from Norton AV 2001 to Norton AV professional 2004).
I asked for help, and all they could answer was : please uninstall your Norton and reinstall it.
I re-told them that my HD had crashed and that I had a new one : no way to 'uninstall' my AV program.
They then answered I was to buy the 2006 version (and they would take in account my current subscription).
Whoever spoke to you is a dork for not providing manual uninstall directions, there used to be those, and a program called RNAV that would take everything off (then again it's been years since I've seen their retail product...)

Aries said:
The "perfect" solution, for my own opinion, is to reinstall the OS after formatting the full hard drive between 6 months to a year, regardless if it "looks" like it "needs" it.
Nuke & pave is a good thing for computers! (and the only true way to be sure of recovery from many viruses/etc.

- Chad