Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
First name
Melvin
He praised and admired dictators, a typical left-wing fascist gulag wanker.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
He seemed like a man who had great appetites, great enthusiasms, and who was searching for a deeper meaning in this life beyond just finding some tasty food or seeing new places.

Bourdain was a bit of a rebel, an explorer, a raconteur, and a man of strong opinions. He was flawed, like all of us. But he was also compelling to listen to and helped a lot of people become more interested in the world around them, which is not such a bad legacy to leave behind.

It’s confusing and heartbreaking that a man apparently so full of life should so suddenly decide he was never going to find what he had spent most of his adult life looking for and instead decide to end it all. Heartbreaking for his family.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/31625/walsh-what-really-lies-root-our-cultures-suicide-matt-walsh

“Meaning” means different things to different people. But I think the author is on target regarding his basic premise that life has to have some deeper meaning, some truth, some point to it all beyond good food, booze, fame, or whatever. Bourdain enjoyed a lot of success and even had a child, but it wasn’t enough.

People just throw out the word “depression” and then close the book and say, well, that’s that. Sure, depression is a real problem, but that’s too easy an answer, too convenient.

hongkongwargamer

@HWargamer THE ASL TWITTER!!
Well .. I really like PARTS UNKNOWN .. and the book "A Cook's Tour". Heck, I am starting to watch PARTS UKNOWN again .. starting with Myanmar.

Last edited: