Answer to Question about Perry Sez

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
"The answers we provide to questions submitted to the ASL Q&A email address are officially from MMP. They are our best thinking on the issue presented. Official rules errata are published in issues of the ASL Journal and on the MMP website.
....Perry
MMP"

Are the Perry Sez official from MMP?

There is a PDF and a thread on GameSquad and some were wondering how official Perry Sez is.

So per the above any questions that was asked to the ASL Q&A email addresses are Officially from MMP.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Per the above, if those were then added to a PDF document or website someplace then those would be considered official. That is my read on what Perry sent.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I don't think this will solve anything, really. They are officially from MMP, but they are not errata. Since no reasoning is usually given with the answers, anybody can consider a Q&A, and argue that this or that point of rule was forgotten when giving the answer.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't think this will solve anything, really. They are officially from MMP, but they are not errata...
I agree. The answer says that official errata is published in issues of the ASL Journal and on the MMP website.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It also says:

The answers we provide to questions submitted to the ASL Q&A email address are officially from MMP.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes the answer are officially from MMP - but official errata is only "published in issues of the ASL Journal and on the MMP website."

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So where does this leave us? Since it’s not official errata, consider Perry Sez as agreements between consenting adults on the level of house rules?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So where does this leave us? Since it’s not official errata, consider Perry Sez as agreements between consenting adults on the level of house rules?
Something like that...as it is now...but I think most players "use" them anyway. Disputes at e.g. a tournament (if the players can't agree) would be up to the TD and he decides whether to "use" Perry Sez or not. IOW, nothing has really changed.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If this PerrySez is not an official ruling then it is still possible that a PerrySez is official ruling. On the other hand if this is an official ruling, then it is not possible that this is an official ruling.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
"They are our best thinking on the issue presented" also expresses that the answers provided have a relative value - they are not the final word on the problems exposed.
They are part of a thinking process.
They aren't meant to be carved in marble or equated to the authoritative reference which is the rulebook as corrected by the official errata.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
He (Perry) Sez it’s Official! So there it is, officially, Perry Sez!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
He (Perry) Sez it’s Official! So there it is, officially, Perry Sez!
No, he said they were officially from MMP. He then clarified it to say it represented their best think and that official rules errata would be posted on their web site. So, yes, in a sense, they are officially from Perry, but they aren't official clarifications. -- jim

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would think of it as an advisory opinion. It is certainly a good faith basis for a rule interpretation. It makes other rule interpretations that conflict suspect without the insertion of a rule not facially considered.

An advisory opinion. It you didn't want Perry's or MMP's advice, why did you ask?

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
An advisory opinion. It you didn't want Perry's or MMP's advice, why did you ask?
Certainly - I have submitted a couple of queries myself, and I abide by them, and I think that those who ask have implicitly bought into the idea that answers have a level of "officiality". But I think the issue arises when the two cultures conflict; should a person who does not necessarily believe be forced to agree with an interpretation solely because it's Perry who sez so, when it hasn't been erraticized?

For the record, I tend to follow the Q&A; most of the time the answers make good sense. In most cases questions generated for Q&A are mostly answered by reading the rules more clearly anyways. It's somewhat rare for an actual internal rules inconsistency to be revealed, or a really novel situation to be encountered.

What I think would really help would be more expansive examples, to be honest. It would be great if someone with far more time on their hands than I could comb through the Q&As and make play examples to illustrate all the different permutations. I bet there would be less required than one might think, actually. Maybe an addendum to the RBv3?

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In one sense they could be considered case law which has value as precedent, but is not binding on a court or judge (TD)
until included in legislation (official published errata)

It really comes down to the nature of the meta legal system that players consider themselves to be in and what authority they take as driving
interpretation of the laws as written. I for one find it easiest to abide by all official errata then Perry Sez unless both players agree prior to a game that they wish to interpret some rule(s) differently to this.

One example of this is : "momentarily reveal a real unit to force concealment loss". Q&A indicate the exact details of the unit must be shown, some though
prefer to play with just showing the unit is real without showing the details of the unit. I don't mind playing wither way but find it irksome to remember which way a given opponent wants to play it, hence prefer to just play by the ruling.

YMMV

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
For speed of play and because i consider generally speaking that the Q&A provides good guidance, i always follow them. Someone that disagrees with a just-discovered Perry Sez has no authority to issue a dissenting view, at least from my perspective. That does not mean that a Q&A is eternal; some may change over time, but only at the initiative of MMP. Of course mutually-agreed rule changes can always be agreed before a game.