Another way to fix video issues in ATF/RT

Cougar_DK

Former POA2 Thread Keeper
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi, I have found a imho better solution to fix the video issues in the RT demo (and ATF/RT full game) than the .bat file and the two .reg files.
And I'm more than willing to show you how. ;)
  • Download RivaTuner from here .
  • Install RivaTuner on your pc.
  • Run it and let it create its database.
  • Download this preset file (Thanx to Unwinder) and save it in the RivaTuner\Presets folder.
  • Close RivaTuner and start it again.
  • You should have a screen like this:
  • Press the "Launcher" tab:
  • Press the "Big green +":
  • Select "Regular item":
  • Select "And you get this form":
  • Fill out the form like me, but make sure that you point to the correct preset. (Name can be anything)
  • Fill out the "Associated application" and make sure that you point to the correct .exe file for your game. And VERY important - make sure that you tick the "Restore settings after terminating application".

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
  • You can stop here. But if you like me like to run your windows desktop in 32 bit colour and mayby a higher resolution than you like the game to run, then select a "Associated display mode". And since ATF/RT dosn't like anything above 24 bit we can handle that too!
  • Now press the "Ok" button and you have your first menu item done.
  • If you (like me) like to have a simple way to start the game with our new menu item the right click on the menu item you just made and the following three buttons appear.
  • Select the rightmost "Create shortcut" and voila you now have a shortcut on your desktop, to your game, running with DirectDraw off and mayby changes resolution and colour depth.

I hope this could be of any help. And since we aren't using any "real" tweaks you don't have to start RivaTuner up everytime you startup Windows!

Since I don't have ATF/RT full version, I havn't tested it with them, but Iøm sure it does.

I have used this tool for my POA2, RT Demo and TacOps demo.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Works like a charm with the exception of the Power Toolkit. It seems the Power Toolkit is a part of the ATFbuild.exe and this confuses RivaTuner. Perhaps Capt. Proctor can help resolve this glitch. Otherwise, it is an improvment over the batch file method as it further automates the changing of color bit depth, as well as turning on and off DirectDraw. Das ist kuhl!! Danke!!

RedMike OUT

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Glad to hear RedMike. I'm not sure what you mean with the "Power Tookit"... is it a part of RT? If so is it a program started with a commandline ? If it is then I think its easy to do something about. So please share some info and I will look into it.

Or you could try to make a new RivaTuner menu item that starts it up and if it takes some kind of "parameter" you can add it/them in the "Command line" field in RivaTuner.

Last edited:

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "Raging Tiger Power Toolkit" seems to be a part of the ATFbuild.exe program as it's path points to it thusly:

"C:\Program Files\Raging Tiger\ATFbuild.exe" /power

The bit at the end is the stickler...the " /power " bit. Riva Tuner doesn't seem to recognize that part. Not sure how to work the command line. Maybe you can show me how?

RedMike OUT

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi RedMike, I think you should try this: (I don't own the full game so I have "cheated" a little in the following screen shot :nuts: )

Let me hear if that does it for you.

Mark

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RedMike said:
The "Raging Tiger Power Toolkit" seems to be a part of the ATFbuild.exe program as it's path points to it thusly:

The bit at the end is the stickler...the " /power " bit. Riva Tuner doesn't seem to recognize that part. Not sure how to work the command line. Maybe you can show me how?

RedMike OUT
It will probably recognize it without the /power. It probably expects an executable name only.

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope, the /power in the command line doesn't work.

The ATFbuild.exe is the senario builder, the ATFbuild.exe/power is the database and map editor. Don't have a clue how that setup works.

RedMike OUT

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Cougar! Thanks for what you are doing here. All very cool! Anything to make things easier for the player is always welcome,...even if they DID chose an ATI card!;)

Seriously, though,...it's people like you who take the time and effort to improve the gaming experience that make a community fun and worth engaging.

Some people don't realize this, but ATF, Raging Tiger, and subsequent ATF titles, were/are designed to be run on systems with as minimal a spec sheet as possible. Pat Proctor has made a commitment to gamers, not gaming hardware developers!

Keep up the great work, and I hope you enjoy your experience with Raging Tiger!

Curt

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
RedMike said:
Nope, the /power in the command line doesn't work.

The ATFbuild.exe is the senario builder, the ATFbuild.exe/power is the database and map editor. Don't have a clue how that setup works.

RedMike OUT
Hi RedMike, could you be a little more specific? What happens? And what did you expect to happen?

Mark

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
CPangracs said:
Hey Cougar! Thanks for what you are doing here. All very cool! Anything to make things easier for the player is always welcome,...even if they DID chose an ATI card!;)

Seriously, though,...it's people like you who take the time and effort to improve the gaming experience that make a community fun and worth engaging.

Some people don't realize this, but ATF, Raging Tiger, and subsequent ATF titles, were/are designed to be run on systems with as minimal a spec sheet as possible. Pat Proctor has made a commitment to gamers, not gaming hardware developers!

Keep up the great work, and I hope you enjoy your experience with Raging Tiger!

Curt
No problem Curt, its just me - I can't help it. If I find a little solution to a little problem, then I share it with all that wanna hear.

And I'm having some good play time with the demo - still learning the ropes of the game.

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curt,

For what it's worth I'm an Nvidia man, don't use ATI cards and probably never will. :smoke:

RedMike OUT

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cougar,

I've entered everything as per your instructions and RT works fine, ATFbuild.exe (the scenario editor) works fine, BUT RivaTuner can't find or thinks the target file is corrupt for the Raging Tiger Power Toolkit shortcut which path is:

When you click on the Power Toolkit shortcut created by Riva you get the desktop and a message stating Riva can't open this file cause it can't find it or it's crap.

RedMike

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RedMike said:
Cougar,

I've entered everything as per your instructions and RT works fine, ATFbuild.exe (the scenario editor) works fine, BUT RivaTuner can't find or thinks the target file is corrupt for the Raging Tiger Power Toolkit shortcut which path is:

When you click on the Power Toolkit shortcut created by Riva you get the desktop and a message stating Riva can't open this file cause it can't find it or it's crap.

RedMike
It obviously tried to interpret the full path as the filename for the exe file, including the command line switch. Dumbasses, but what do you expect from anything out of ATI?

Possible solutions:

1) make a batchfile which takes no parameters itself but calls this exe with the required parameter and then enter the batchfile into this utility.

2) there should be an option not to create a shortcut witht his utility but to bind settings to an exe file (like NVidia does). Then you can use the old shortcut.

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Redwolf I'm a little tired of your constant bashing, if its not POA2 then its RT and now ATI. Can't you post w/o bashing something? I don't care what you think of ATI since this thread has NOTHING to do with ATI.

RedMike I have testet some other products and they work just fine with the "Command line". So can you post a picture here? If not then feel free to mail it to me at: mark at twins4ever dot dk

Just press the Alt+Print Screen key to copy the active window and paste it a paint program. Then fire it my way. This has to work!

Mark

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here you go!

RT works OK.
Scenario Builder works OK.
Power Toolkit doesn't work.

This is the default path from the game generated shortcut which works, albeit without the graphics fix. Have to manually jump through all the hoops.

RedMike

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi RedMike have you tried to remove the " around C:\Program Files\... from the path in the power toolkit menu item? I think this is the problem.

Mark