Another SASL question

Kaph

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, playing my second SASL mission now, Pockets, and I'm the germans having an easy time against the americans when all of a sudden they get a RE, and wouldn't you know it is RE number 31. Enemy artillary strike...and they get 3 FFE of 70mm artilary. Which leads me to my first question...how do you do artilary strikes in SASL...mind you i've never done an artilary strike in Regular ASL. Is there some point on the flow chart that I can start at...or should I just read and re-read the OBA rules.

Thanks for any help on this.

rdk

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
S8.7 is the place to start, since most of the regular ASL Artillery rules don't apply. Anyway, have a read of S8.7 and let us know any particular questions you run into.

Kaph

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
well blast area for one i couldn't figure that one out...and as I've never done the regular artillary fire before, is the FFE actually a shot?

I'll read through the rules again and see if I have any other questions...but those are what I remember from reading through them the first time.

rdk

Kaph

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correction DR...is this no more then making a DR if it is 3,2 I would move it in the 3 direction on the FFE counter 2 hexes correct? But is there ever a DR that doesn't make it move...or do all FFE's have to be corrected in this manner.

What is the difference in an FFE:1, FFE:2, and FFE:C? In SASL do all three apply or just the FFE:1.

a 70mm module would be a 12 on the IFT?

And as stated before...how do you figure out the blast area?

I'll read more...there maybe more questions.

thanks

rdk

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Correction DR...is this no more then making a DR if it is 3,2 I would move it in the 3 direction on the FFE counter 2 hexes correct? But is there ever a DR that doesn't make it move...or do all FFE's have to be corrected in this manner.

If your Spotting round (SR) C1.3 lands where you want it too - < or = 2 if your using black hit numbers with one die (dr). Then you dont need to roll for error C1.31. You have to roll a 1 on a dr if you are using red to hit numbers. To know which colour to use have a look at your A25 National Capabilities chart in the ordanance TH# column.

What is the difference in an FFE:1, FFE:2, and FFE:C? In SASL do all three apply or just the FFE:1.

FFE1 & 2 & C are not SASL terms as such, they are in the main rule book C1.5. First you have to fire a spotting round (SR). If it lands (nearly!) where you want your artillary - then you convert your spotting round to a "Fire For Effect - or FFE. This means instead of a smoke round being fired (your spotting round), your 70mm rounds start landing in your FFE1. If you liked where it landed then the next time you flip it to FFE2. If you want it to continue next round then its changed to a FFE:C - which just means continuation. C1.34 talks about what is required to continue your bombardment.

a 70mm module would be a 12 on the IFT?

depends on the type of OBA. some appear in E section but you need to have the paratrooper module to read about those, and TEM applies to rolls on the IFT.

And as stated before...how do you figure out the blast area?

C1.7 talks about different OBA types. C1.72 says if it is harrasing fire, then, all hexes within 2 hexes of your FFE counter get affected at 1/3 of the HE equivilent (70mm = 4FP in 19 hexs) for example.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Kaph said:
well blast area for one i couldn't figure that one out...and as I've never done the regular artillary fire before, is the FFE actually a shot?

I'll read through the rules again and see if I have any other questions...but those are what I remember from reading through them the first time.

rdk

Reading SASL 8.71 it looks like a FFE comes first here instead of a AR or SR.

SASL 8.72 says to use the Chapt H OBA, but i cannot see where it says what type of of bombardment happens. 70mm is referred to as "type", so my term might be wrong, but you need to know which of the seven "Fire Missions" is used i think. Use Harrasing fire if you cant find any other references, sine that is in chapter C and so you definatley have it.