Another new guy to the forum

seblick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am just turning 65, a wargamer since I was 15 or so. Played Squad Leader occasionally when it arrived, and eventually owned all of the expansions. When ASL came on the scene I played a few times and once again accumulated most of the modules, core and HASL both.
Unfortunately, my local (Northeast PA) opponents dried up, both for ASL and wargames in general, so I sold off all of my ASL material and many of my other games.
Stumbling accidentally onto Consimworld made me realize that wargamers still existed, albeit not within my general area.
I eventually reaquired the rulebook, which sparked my long dormant interest. I still couldn't find any locals. VASL seemed like a good option, but I am reluctant to impose my inexperience on another VASL player.
Nevertheless, I accumulated most of the core modules and some miscellaneous third-party stuff. One day, I decided to post for locals on Gamesquad, and to my surprise someone responded who lived about 20 minutes away.
He was a newbie and we have played about 5 times since. I am very pleased to say that we are having a great time (thanks, Jake) , with our only complaint being a lack of opportunities to get together, due to pesky life demands.
I was also contacted by a fellow about 90 minutes away, with whom I have promised to get together with but (to my shame and embarrassment), have not yet managed.
Gamesquad helped get me playing again, and I am enjoying it immensely. VASL is the next hurdle, if I can find a compatible opponent with patience for dealing with that most frustrating of entities - a semi-newbie with the additional gotcha of creeping senility (-;

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the helpful advice. Much appreciated.

VASL is on the list (along with an affordable copy of For King & Country :eek:). Once I feel I’ve got to grips with the rules again I’ll give that a try. It definitely seems the way forward. Plus VASL seems better equipped to resist the depredations of my evil felines (apparently dice & counters are the perfect kitty toys! And why wouldn’t I want one of my cats to walk across a perfectly set up board? :mad:).

Incidentally do most people use Perspex/glass overlays with their boards? And what size is recommended? Thanks.

Tom
Tom,
Instead of using 'perspex' or glass, I would recommend using poster frames to cover your boards. Specifically the types with the removable edges, available at craft stores such as Michael 's. I've been using these for years...they hold the SK maps and mapsheets flat and are available in many sizes suitable for scenarios using 4 or less boards. They will not work with the original, thicker mapboards however.

Best of luck!

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Coming back to Advanced Squad Leader

I don’t remember how old I was when I picked up a copy of Squad Leader, ten or eleven perhaps so sometime in the very early 1980s. Playing the Guards Counterattack and Hill 621 with my elder brother was an eye opener and immense fun. This began a two decades love affair first with Squad Leader and then with ASL. I think the last module I bought was either Kampfgruppe Peiper I or ASL Solitaire. Sadly working life, frequent travel and other hobbies meant my interest in ASL gradually declined. The reality was that it wasn’t (and still isn’t) a game well suited to solitaire play and once my elder brother left home I no longer had a regular playing partner. And ASL felt like it had become mind bogglingly complicated and not really worth the investment in time in comparison to other stalwarts like Breakout Normandy or the easy attraction of computer games like Close Combat and Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. Finally – and most sadly – all my ASL collection disappeared when my parents moved house about seven years ago.

Time went by and along came children – two wonderful boys – and playing board games has once again happily become a regular part of my life. While they are still a little young (eight & six) for complicated board based wargames it has got me thinking about them again. Initially this got me thinking about Avalon Hill’s 1975 classic Tobruk – probably the first proper wargame my brother and I played together. Having got a copy off Ebay this in turn led me to fond memories of Squad Leader and the classic Guards Counterattack. After another foray on Ebay I got hold of this and happily replayed the scenario which remained as fun as ever. But it also reminded me that in most respects ASL was a better game mechanism albeit a far more complex one. And therein lay my quandary, I really didn’t want to relearn ASL nor did I want to reinvest heavily in it again especially in the absence of a regular playing partner.

Although happily replaying Squad Leader / Cross of Iron (yep, got that too) I still hankered after ASL and the huge improvements in defensive fire and movement. Then, through the wonders of the internet, came salvation in the twin form of Jay Richardson and the ASL Starter Kit! This is what I had been looking for: something using the ASL system yet designed to be relatively easy to learn and use. More forays on Ebay later and I’m now working my way through the Starter Kit scenarios, which have been an absolute blast, while reacquainting myself with the rules. Jay’s guide to learning the rules have been an absolute godsend and a pleasure to read as well. I am forever in his debt.

ASL SK has been just what I needed to relearn the essential rules and reignite my enthusiasm for ASL. As a result I’ve taken the plunge and bought the ASL rules (2nd Ed) , Beyond Valor and Yanks! More importantly I have begun, using the Starter Kit scenarios, the vital process of teaching my partner the rules to ensure I have a regular face to face opponent (she already plays a mean game of Wings of Glory). And after that I will start introducing my sons to the joys of ASL – any tips as how to best do this would be gratefully received. In the meantime I’m having a blast.

Tom
Hi Tom;

Like you, I'm coming back to gaming in general. I had hoped to have time for full ASL over the years (I've been carting it around since around 1990) and despite collecting a lot of it, what I didn't collect was time. Too many other hobbies (fly fishing consumed me for years living in the west, plus cycling). Now, married, I don't get out as much yet had some time on my hands (a tad anyway) so ASL continued to pester me. Sadly, full ASL wasn't going to fit the narrow windows I had but ASLSK does. So, I've sold off the full stuff with the exception of my copy of Paratrooper, my 1st Edition Rule book, and Pocket Version RB (which kept me connected to the 2nd Edition rules), and enough left over bits to play the simpler scenarios in BV. It wasn't easy to do but it had to be done. I the full set of ASLSK (#1 -3, BP, SKEP, Elst, and lots of magazine scenarios plus the Rally Point stuff). So, it's keeping me in the game and I can actually make time now. I haven't tried VASL - unlike many people, I'm happy to go at it solo and have played some pretty intense stuff in my old days so learning on my own doesn't panic me (though it's a slower process to be sure). This site and BGG have really helped shorten the curve. It's nice to know my story isn't so unusual. Adult life can be pretty over-rated. :rolleyes:

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
hello. newbie here

I've stumbled over ASL a year or so ago, when my son was born and I was spending a lot of late night and early morning hours browsing through BGG on the hunt for interesting games whilst nurturing the little fella.
Starting with SK1, I tried to learn the game by myself, as most of my regular gaming pals found it hard to stomach (it surely isn't X-Wing). I quickly bought the Full Rules, along with BV, Yanks (and, since then, most of the other modules currently in print [not too many, obviously]).

Unable to find a FTF tutor in my region (Karlsruhe, Germany), I soon found an experienced player via VASSAL who was (and is) willing to teach me. Of course, I get obliterated most of the time.

GS made it onto my daily reading list, so I figured it would be a decent move to at least say hello.
Hello. :)
Hello as well! Sounds like many of us are in similar situations. I know there are a strong ASL contingent out there but I have to say that ASLSK is robust compared to many wargames so while it may be easier than ASL, it's no slouch in the game department. Consequently, I'm leaning heavily into it. I may never get back to full ASL - at least not more so than infantry and very light vehicle scenarios. Frankly, if it hadn't been for ASLSK, I'd probably have moved on. Too little time and there are other games I still want to play. I like it when I can sit down and just play. ASL wasn't going to make that easy. It's exceptionally cool but it's more a life-style game in my opinion and I just couldn't dedicate the time (but I still think it's an amazing product). Look how long it's lasted! Not too many games (not sure any) can make the claim to fame ASL can. It's pretty remarkable.

Conall

Reaction score
Country
ll
Tom,
Instead of using 'perspex' or glass, I would recommend using poster frames to cover your boards. Specifically the types with the removable edges, available at craft stores such as Michael 's. I've been using these for years...they hold the SK maps and mapsheets flat and are available in many sizes suitable for scenarios using 4 or less boards. They will not work with the original, thicker mapboards however.

Best of luck!
Thanks, Yuri, that’s really helpful advice. I’ll give that a try.
Cheers,
Tom

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Yuri, that’s really helpful advice. I’ll give that a try.
Cheers,
Tom
I like the plexi myself. I can cover not only the map sheets but the scenario card and other aids (like the Sequence of Play). Keeps my card table tidy. And protects the paper. The poster frames have their benefits though!

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Hi Seblick,

I’m with the Philly ASL club. We have players in the tri-county area and meet once a month in West Chester. Not sure your location but give a shout if interested.

Vinny
I am just turning 65, a wargamer since I was 15 or so. Played Squad Leader occasionally when it arrived, and eventually owned all of the expansions. When ASL came on the scene I played a few times and once again accumulated most of the modules, core and HASL both.
Unfortunately, my local (Northeast PA) opponents dried up, both for ASL and wargames in general, so I sold off all of my ASL material and many of my other games.
Stumbling accidentally onto Consimworld made me realize that wargamers still existed, albeit not within my general area.
I eventually reaquired the rulebook, which sparked my long dormant interest. I still couldn't find any locals. VASL seemed like a good option, but I am reluctant to impose my inexperience on another VASL player.
Nevertheless, I accumulated most of the core modules and some miscellaneous third-party stuff. One day, I decided to post for locals on Gamesquad, and to my surprise someone responded who lived about 20 minutes away.
He was a newbie and we have played about 5 times since. I am very pleased to say that we are having a great time (thanks, Jake) , with our only complaint being a lack of opportunities to get together, due to pesky life demands.
I was also contacted by a fellow about 90 minutes away, with whom I have promised to get together with but (to my shame and embarrassment), have not yet managed.
Gamesquad helped get me playing again, and I am enjoying it immensely. VASL is the next hurdle, if I can find a compatible opponent with patience for dealing with that most frustrating of entities - a semi-newbie with the additional gotcha of creeping senility (-;