Another KGP Stoumont

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we got another turn in last night. We are sitting at German T6 prep fire.
Pictures this time. Along the N33N33.JPG

Mostly a stalemate right now, under his pinned fanatic guy is an objective hex we are trying to hold for both sides. This pinned guy survived a 36 +1 (rolled 11). The BU ht is one of the FT ht who might come over and deal with him. THe Panther near the road is likely going to be the first target for his 2 planes that finally arrived. I fully expect that when I say "OK movement" to hear plane noises from him...

North of the Sanitorium we have broken or pushed back everyone in the treeline:
North San.JPG
The hero clearly got ahead of his buddies... The Americans are likely going to keep hold of the LVP in II17, I got close to it but then his OBA stalled me in the trench line. The OBA observer was in HH17 and I finally found him and then threw everything at it and broke him. His last OBA mission drifted max 2 into an open area right before I broke him.

Going up the to the hill battle we see:
Hill.JPG
Again I've pushed him back but it cost me. I lost another Panther when I missed a baz advance fire shot to him while he was in bypass. This was just my poor play, I could have shot him easily but never saw it. We don't play enough to avoid these mistakes... The other Panther in this picture is bogged after going over some barb wire. The CE flakpanzer here is protecting this one I hope. I want to get him unbogged and moved into the tree road or into the open area where he is protected still.

Final picture is into the forest battle on the hill:
Forest.JPG
This is a stalemate too. His brush guy is on an objective I can't get to, the burning 75 M4 just happened to the 127 psk that sneaked up under ? and survived. Missed him on his turn when he was pinned but got him in prep just now. The 105 there could have been dead as well, under his acq. I have a 658 with a baz that has missed, hit, bounce in the last turn turns and missed 2 PF shots... The ? american stack in between those guys is a 9-2 .50/667 so he has a exclusion zone... I have another objective hex just in front of my guys on the right that I will claim to have a jumping off point/defense line for the next scenarios...

So it looks like he will keep 3 LVP. If it goes too long his planes can wreak havoc each turn. We both have about the same number of AFVs left (not counting my HTs) and his rough count of American squads is 15 to maybe my 25-30?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He's whining about his dice and mine. A lot of my 2+1 shots have gotten results but what does he expect with 6 ML? :)
My fanaticism is working in some cases for me.

I think he is doing really well because he's keeping most of his guys alive, I can't kill them especially now that the planes have arrived.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we finished 19PM Friday/Saturday. CVP for both were very close around 55, he killed more infantry and I killed a tank or two more.
I have only 3 Panthers left all still immobilized, the one on overwatch of the N.33 road, one up on the hill and one in the back. One was due to plane, one to barbed wire, and one to OBA on 19AM. None have come back yet in refit, even the one with the AL.

The Americans have two large setup areas because I managed to split his one big one by taking II17 (La Rochelle). Germans have one large setup that even extends up the road to the hilltop wooden building.

My Vasl map of the situation at end is at home, I will post it tonight or tomorrow.

He was thinking of shifting a bunch of his guys near the 19AM entry area off board to give freedom of movement without having to spend an attack chit.

I think the German has to do the attack chit at Night to avoid no move.

He has about 20 squads left (which I think is very good) and I only have about 30... I have 4 PzIVs left and the 3 immobilized panthers mentioned above.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK maybe not a week but I finally got my setup done!
Here we have the setup for the final 2 LVP the Americans hold. black 1/2 are the German cloaking counters and japanese are the American cloaks
Dual night attack.
IMG_0636.jpg

Here we have the rest of the MLR

IMG_0637.jpg
All Germans sitting on top of known entrenchments are IN them for clarity of the pic and so I don't forget about them.
Don't pay to leave anyhow... :)

I hope we can start next week when Neil has his off days.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we did get 3 turns in yesterday. Pictures to come soon as I can get upstairs to take some.
Everything is pretty slow going but he came in hard with 3 or 4 platoons including engineers along the N.33 and is crushing my platoon + some there easily...
I rolled a 12 with the first MC the 10-2 had to take and he's still limping backwards...
His FT rolled a 3 and basically wiped out 2 squads with the followup 1,1 on the inherent attack...
Not looking good there but I should get one more LVP out of the night...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we finally finished 19 Night yesterday. I just wanted to kick the thread and I will put some perimeter pics up in the next day or two.
Americans hold only one LVP but almost have squad parity already. Germans got the better of the infantry battle this night but the Americans came in way stronger than I thought they could/would along the N33 and pushed hard in that tree area and got across the stream which is bad. I had to sacrifice 4 tanks to hold what I had and take the second to last LVP away. Lost my 10-2 in the refit phase as well...
Not looking good for the Germans already.
More to come.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have to wait until my brother posts the perimeter pics to visualize, but I've been able to get across the stream just to the south of the N33 using a couple obj. hexes (one the German thoughtfully provided). This stream really seems to channel the Americans.
Since I can now set up on the south of the stream here's to hoping either A) Steve has to string out his defense to avoid a flanking attack or B) Steve doesn't and I DO flank attack into Stoumont. We believe that we are both down around the 25-30 squad level on board, at the end of 19N, so with the American CPP advantage I should be in good shape.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK here is the German Right after 19N, this is the LVP I captured this scenario. Americans mined it with AT mines but I never bypassed it but I did come close.
The immobilized German vehicle is a FT HT that I tried to take off the woods road and didn't fix in refit, he might be a goner. I was getting desperate to get that last LVP...
The plethora of foxholes is the German being scared to death of the bombardments that the Americans never seem to buy...
Couldn't find it for sure in the rules but does a tracked vehicle that successfully leaves a woods road via the woods place a 1/2 trailbreak for future use? The Burnt out wreck near the LVP building left the woods road and then motored through the next woods hex too where the full TB is...

KGP19NGermanRight.gif

More to come if my att.net account doesn't keep screwing up sending emails...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK Moving a bit to the German left you see the only LVP the Americans hang on to, with an immobile M4 parked in it.
KGP19NGermanMiddleRight.gif

The unmarked Foxholes are American controlled and I forgot to mark QQ22 building as German. This is the area that opens up for the next scenario but mainly vehicles are over here but this is also where his on board guys could go if he wants to push here...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Moving a little more to the German center:
KGP19NGermanCenter.gif
We see the AMericans can start fairly close to the Sanitarium if he wants to go balls out today for it.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now onto the left we have...KGP19NGermanMiddleLeft.gif

You can see part of his push on 19N. We had not played in so long I never paid attention to how much infantry he could bring to bear here.
I had 2 or 3 squads in the trees in those now American foxholes manned by a 10-2 and he pushed through them like they were not even there. He lost his FT Tank in CC5 and I lost two tanks that had to fill the gap after the 10-2 went down.
So he could push on the Sanitarium from 2 sides...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And the far German left
KGP19NGermanLeft.gif
In hindsight this picture is not much different than the one above you only see the objective hex that gets him across the stream. That was mine and is probably unnecessary as a German tactic. At least make him use on of his own there...
That X3 burnt out wreck is a HT that tried to lock in a 747 but the German infantry could not break the 747 before the HT was stunned and killed...

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we started 20AM today. Only got through one turn, however this one turn displayed the single worst defensive fire phase of my entire ASL career. In a pitched battle for the II17 building he exposes a 9-2 in FF14 outside of the foxhole and in LOS of a 9-2 led 3 squad , 3 .50cal stack. In D-Fire, the result is box cars and then yahtzee the RS to break all 3 .50cals. Slight frustration as his 9-2 proceed to pin instead of break. Ok, shrug that off and move on to a mortar that can see the same woods hex for the airburst. Result, yep another box cars. Alrighty, next we have two broken half-squads on the other side of the map in full view of a 9-2 led 3 squad, 3 HMG stack. Trying to eliminate German infantry in Stoumont is the name of the game for the American , so at least this D-fire (miraculously) is not a box cars but yields a 2MC. First half squad rolls snake-eyes, rallys and goes fanatic. 2nd half-squad rolls, yep you guessed it snake eyes, albeit this one rallys, but goes berzerk and will die next turn.

This followed a German half turn where he proceeded to kill 3 tanks with rolls under 5 from PSK's and PF's.

I still think I'm ahead in this CG, but frustration level after such a horrible 5 minutes is definitely at an all time high.

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So we started 20AM today. Only got through one turn, however this one turn displayed the single worst defensive fire phase of my entire ASL career. In a pitched battle for the II17 building he exposes a 9-2 in FF14 outside of the foxhole and in LOS of a 9-2 led 3 squad , 3 .50cal stack. In D-Fire, the result is box cars and then yahtzee the RS to break all 3 .50cals. Slight frustration as his 9-2 proceed to pin instead of break. Ok, shrug that off and move on to a mortar that can see the same woods hex for the airburst. Result, yep another box cars. Alrighty, next we have two broken half-squads on the other side of the map in full view of a 9-2 led 3 squad, 3 HMG stack. Trying to eliminate German infantry in Stoumont is the name of the game for the American , so at least this D-fire (miraculously) is not a box cars but yields a 2MC. First half squad rolls snake-eyes, rallys and goes fanatic. 2nd half-squad rolls, yep you guessed it snake eyes, albeit this one rallys, but goes berzerk and will die next turn.

This followed a German half turn where he proceeded to kill 3 tanks with rolls under 5 from PSK's and PF's.

I still think I'm ahead in this CG, but frustration level after such a horrible 5 minutes is definitely at an all time high.
Given my normal FtF experience, please tell me what is out of the ordinary :cool:? Nice AAR and I am eagerly waiting for more! please keep it up.

/S

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's the situation at the end of Turn 2 on 20AM. My brother will chime in I assume, but in the center (where 95% of the important fighting is going on today) I dropped a WP OBA mission to blind a 9-2 led stack in GG16, this stack however was still strong enough to break the stack that tried to come up to deal with them, that's them broken under the wounded leader. The rest of the center battle though has definitely turned against the German.

The flak panzer and half track were backing up the; at the time hidden INF gun in II18, as well as two squads of 8-3-8's in the foxholes in II18 and HH17, one with a FT. Finally luck was on the American side and the FT ran out of fuel, I broke both squads and the INF crew, CR'd one squad and my sniper promptly came over and CR'd the other 8-3-8. I lost nobody in taking the II17 building; yet!!! The panther ran out of the WP OBA and up to the roadblock in HH16 , but I have a Baz next door that will eat the blast in hopes to get a turret hit and reduce him to two Panthers. I've had great luck killing them.

He also had his first out of gas roll today, I think its a halftrack, but still the issues for him are beginning. Looking at Delwood's site, I am well above the "Average" and moving into the "Promising" area of his study of LVP. I am sitting at 27 LVP after 19N, currently own 2 LVP and using this site as a goal, I don't have to re-capture the sanitarium until 20PM to be on pace to win. I should be in very good position to do that. In fact, I'm not sure if he has more than 20 squads on the board at this point and I believe 4-5 of those are now broken including everyone in the sanitarium. His leadership is the most difficult thing to deal with at this point. IMG_20180909_204151570[1].jpgIMG_20180909_204158129[1].jpgIMG_20180909_204201609[1].jpgIMG_20180909_204205180_HDR[1].jpg

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You would think that 3 838s with a -1 leader, a hidden gun and a Panther would be able to hold one building right?
I hate FTs, they never do crap for me...

Where is my Hatten box? Need to get something else to play I think...

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This CG comes to a close during movement phase of German turn #3 on 20AM.

My brother conceded Sunday after he lost several vehicles to BAZ shots, yet another Panther to CC and then immobilized one of the last Panthers alive on the board with an ESB attempt. At the end, Steve only had four tanks alive, 2 Panthers (one immob'd) and 2 PzIV's. And one of the PzIV's was going to get a flurry of BAZ fire on his start MP. This is the first time we've played entirely through KGP-Stoumont and I'd play it again in a heartbeat. The CG is very good at having a mix of attack and defend for both sides that you don't see in most CG's.

What I learned about the CG is the German MUST husband his infantry and his Panthers. My brother took somewhat heavy infantry losses early and I think he also lost too many Panthers early; there ability to cause every American in sight to flee in panic is invaluable. As the American, kill Infantry and Panthers at any opportunity even sacrificing troops early to do it. Killing PzIV's or halftracks are distant a third or fourth on the list of things to do. The bombardments seemed a waste of CPP, although the last day it did kill a very important and well-placed Panther.

We had played day one of the Hatten in Flames CG at ASLOK and will now be continuing this CG when we play next.