Another green unit here

McCarty13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys introducing myself. I just got involved in ASL over the last 4 weeks. I started with the first three starter kits, read the rules of the first one, played two scenarios solo and decided I wanted the real rules. I immediately grabbed them and BV and the Rat Charts and was gifted Yanks by a friend. So I guess I'm into it. Haha. I look forward to asking you all questions I should have just combed the rules for.

Hollywood Mike

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys introducing myself. I just got involved in ASL over the last 4 weeks. I started with the first three starter kits, read the rules of the first one, played two scenarios solo and decided I wanted the real rules. I immediately grabbed them and BV and the Rat Charts and was gifted Yanks by a friend. So I guess I'm into it. Haha. I look forward to asking you all questions I should have just combed the rules for.

Hollywood Mike
Looks like you made a great start! You are in for hours and hours worth of enjoyment.

How did you get started? I'm curious because of recent posts lamenting the lack of fresh blood in the hobby.

McCarty13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like you made a great start! You are in for hours and hours worth of enjoyment.

How did you get started? I'm curious because of recent posts lamenting the lack of fresh blood in the hobby.
I've always had an interest in WWII and ASL to me, has always been that holy grail of games. Ever since it came out I thought "maybe someday I'll learn that." I even bought regular squad leader used and punched all thrown in the box about two years ago. But after glancing at the mess I got a headache and put it away. I joined a game guild on BGG back in March and got way more into war gaming. A lot of them were playing ASL and one of the guildees was selling starter kits 1,2,3 So I jumped on it. With the pandemic going on and my new found love for Vassal it seemed like the perfect time to start.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've always had an interest in WWII and ASL to me, has always been that holy grail of games. Ever since it came out I thought "maybe someday I'll learn that." I even bought regular squad leader used and punched all thrown in the box about two years ago. But after glancing at the mess I got a headache and put it away. I joined a game guild on BGG back in March and got way more into war gaming. A lot of them were playing ASL and one of the guildees was selling starter kits 1,2,3 So I jumped on it. With the pandemic going on and my new found love for Vassal it seemed like the perfect time to start.
Thanks! I'm sure you'll find your investment well worth it. Good luck. Have fun and remember to roll low!

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
There is no better place to be for beginners. No better place for ASL support. Lots of folks with tons of ASL knowledge who are willing to answer any questions. Welcome to GS. Have fun.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Indeed, it was a good time to start and grabbing the three Starter Kits was a good opportunity as well. Back then I did the same with Squad Leader because I thought the programmed approach might be easier to learn and SL and ASL almost the same thing... This forum found only many years later - and this has been a true relevation for me.

It seems that you are making the right decisions much faster than I did.

Be sure also to check out VASL. The fastest way to learn is to find real opponents - and VASL is the tool where you can play opponents around the world in combination of making contacts via this forum.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, it was a good time to start and grabbing the three Starter Kits was a good opportunity as well. Back then I did the same with Squad Leader because I thought the programmed approach might be easier to learn and SL and ASL almost the same thing... This forum found only many years later - and this has been a true relevation for me.

It seems that you are making the right decisions much faster than I did.

Be sure also to check out VASL. The fastest way to learn is to find real opponents - and VASL is the tool where you can play opponents around the world in combination of making contacts via this forum.

von Marwitz
There is much to be said about the programmed instruction of SL. Does the SK use the same approach?

Apparently GWAR'S Whacko counter storage system is still in use.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There is much to be said about the programmed instruction of SL. Does the SK use the same approach?
Not exactly.

But as SK1 only has 16 pages of rules, it can do quite well without for the infantry and basic terrain rules.
The - sort of - programmed bit is that SK2 introduces Guns and SK3 introduces vehicles.

The rules of SK2 and SK3 include all 'previous' SK-rules, respectively. The new rules (i.e. Gun stuff in SK 2 etc.) are highlighted in the SK2 rulebook, while SK3 highlights what has been added after SK2.

von Marwitz