Another First Fire question with MG

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
During the enemy MPh, a squad possessing a MG First Fires it IFP only. The squad is then marked with 1F, but the MG is not. Then later, the squad wants to use the MG to engage a target that is farther than the closest KEU. Is this allowed, or is the MG restricted to firing at or closer than the closest KEU? Thanks.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes it can fire the MG (only) at any targets within its (extended) range regardless of closer enemy units until it has exhausted its ROF.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
During the enemy MPh, a squad possessing a MG First Fires it IFP only. The squad is then marked with 1F, but the MG is not. Then later, the squad wants to use the MG to engage a target that is farther than the closest KEU. Is this allowed, or is the MG restricted to firing at or closer than the closest KEU? Thanks.
There is a nice flowchart that you can use for exactly this type of issues found for download here.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought this was true, just wanted to confirm it. Thank you for the flowchart. I see it is an update of the original one done by Mr. Repetti and Ole Boe. I still carry that old one around with me (or I used to before, well, you know ...).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The restriction of closest moving enemy unit applies to Subsequent First Fire only.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One wrinkle that the chart doesn't note is that if the squad has first-fired, but the MG has not, if the squad SFFs, the MG also has its FP halved, even though it hasn't fired yet.

I'm not sure whether or not this is also true when the MG has first-fired, the squad has not, and the MG wants to SFF.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One wrinkle that the chart doesn't note is that if the squad has first-fired, but the MG has not, if the squad SFFs, the MG also has its FP halved, even though it hasn't fired yet.

I'm not sure whether or not this is also true when the MG has first-fired, the squad has not, and the MG wants to SFF.
Absent something like and 8-3-8 with a MMG ... I am hard pressed to imagine an instance when I would SFF and include an unmarked MMG rather than just firing the MMG by itself. Unless you use the IIFT ...

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

In this case the squads's FP is not halved - would still be marked Final Fire though.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Where is the reference for this one Klas?
Squad isn't halfed if the MG is First fired and the Squad isnt' in SFF?
Correct. The rules don't call for the sqaud's FP to halved, even though it will be marked "Final Fire" after the attack. For an MG, it's spelled out it's treated as Sustained Fire in the same situation.

I am on my way out the door, so I can't dig up any references now.