Another canister question

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does bore-sighting apply in any way to an attack with canister? My guess is no, since canister can effect 3 hexes, but is it possible that if one of the hexes attacked is bore-sighted that hex will have the bore-sight DRM? Since canister is an IFT attack, not a to To Hit, I also guess that it could only apply during DF1st fire, if at all.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Probably not, but I don't think the rules address this. C6.44 says that a MG/IFE cannot use the boresight DRM if it is using Spraying Fire. Canister seems both similar and even less likely...

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BS does apply with canister since there is no TH DR and it is not MG/IFE fire.

Fred

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
BS does apply with canister since there is no TH DR and it is not MG/IFE fire.

Fred
This really doesn't seem correct. Bore Sighting designates a specific Location, while Canister is aimed at a vertex. I suppose you are suggesting that Case M applies to the Bore-sighted Location but not to the other two hexes, yet it seems a bit odd to allow the Firer the freedom to "spray" that Bore-sighted fire into any one of six directions...

I would need to see the Errata or response from Perry before agreeing with this. Otherwise, it seems too similar to Spraying Fire, which is also not allowed.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Does bore-sighting apply in any way to an attack with canister?
I don't think so.

C6.4 only allows the -2 for a TH DR:
6.4 CASE M; BORE SIGHTED LOCATION:10 A Gun, or allowed SW (6.41), firing at a target in a Location it has Bore Sighted may add the -2 DRM of Case M to its TH DR. If Cases M and N both apply, the firer may choose one or the other.

...and C6.44 only allows to an IFT DR for MG/IFE:
"A MG/IFE non-ordnance attack [EXC: all forms of Residual FP; A8.2, A9.22] vs a unit in the firing weapon’s Bore Sighted Location may deduct two from its IFT DR ..."

Canister does not fit into either of these.

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think so.

C6.4 only allows the -2 for a TH DR:
6.4 CASE M; BORE SIGHTED LOCATION:10 A Gun, or allowed SW (6.41), firing at a target in a Location it has Bore Sighted may add the -2 DRM of Case M to its TH DR. If Cases M and N both apply, the firer may choose one or the other.

...and C6.44 only allows to an IFT DR for MG/IFE:
"A MG/IFE non-ordnance attack [EXC: all forms of Residual FP; A8.2, A9.22] vs a unit in the firing weapon’s Bore Sighted Location may deduct two from its IFT DR ..."

Canister does not fit into either of these.
I think this makes the most sense, thanks.