Another ASL counter production venture?

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sources list so far...

tankdestroyer.net good site click on UNITS find the 601st & 701st and read the after action reports on both.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's something I was frankly unaware of. So a switch from T to ST seems a reasonable change as footsteps has done. Given the slow traverse, I'm surprised they didn't have a clutch to disengage the traverse gears to allow free movement for rough aiming and then re-engaging and using the gears for fine aiming. The equivalent of lifting and moving the trails on a towed gun.
Seems reasonable as an idea, considering that was the specific aiming / rotation mechanism used in the M2 and M3 light and medium tanks of the same period of manufacture, disengage gears then use gunner's backrest shoulder pressure to slew the turret / gun into line, then re-engage to use the Gunner's handwheels for fine control.

KRL, Jon H

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a video on this thread that shows the M6 firing its MA that clearly shows the controls to travers the gun. I have to post more of my sources. One stated that 360 degree MA travers took about 2 min or about the same as the turret travers of the M10

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not disputing the rotation speed and subsequent classification as a ST. It's just that I assumed differently and the lack of a simple 'trick' to enable faster if cruder rotation surprised me as similar had been done for other light guns. Honestly getting it wrong per se does not really upset me, that's the purpose of GS, to exchange information and better information from whomever is always welcome. I've always tried to explain the limits of my knowledge and give the best that I know, but that's all I can do. I am quite happy with a ST rating.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a video on this thread that shows the M6 firing its MA that clearly shows the controls to travers the gun. I have to post more of my sources. One stated that 360 degree MA travers took about 2 min or about the same as the turret travers of the M10
having watched said video in its entirety now, I see no reason why the truck would be required to maintain some outside recoil dampening mechanism during firing. So I might postulate that, much like the Laffly and many other en portee guns, the simplest method of aligning the gun tube to target is to have the driver slew the gun into rough alignment via steering, then have the gunner fine lay it via handwheel for the shot.