Announcing the 2012 GameSquad Chess Invitational

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't been playing much, but I'll give this a go. Will you send an invite at chess.com or do I need to sign up?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Invites sent! If you didn't get yours, let me know.

I am thinking that we kick off the tourney on August 1.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm in ... and also about to embark on a massive normal chess run of games. Look out.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ugh, this is weird. And, theres some ring-in whose rated 1985 or so. I could go from "unrated" to +2,000 if i beat them!

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hahahahaha. I'm tanking my games against Vecht then. Save all my energy to drain Lurker. Save Vecht some grief as well. Well played.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How is everyone finding 960? I think this starting position is really a tough one, but it is making for some wild games!

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am disappointed that every single game had the same starting position. I realize that at a minimum you have to play the same position as white and black vs the same opponent, but I was hoping to play several different positions.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am disappointed that every single game had the same starting position. I realize that at a minimum you have to play the same position as white and black vs the same opponent, but I was hoping to play several different positions.
Me, too. I wasn't sure how this was going to work but I was thinking each opponent pair would get a unique set-up, not just one set up for the entire tourney. Guess this way is more logical and fair, though. Still, I am enjoying this as a change of pace. Not knowing the starting position for a tourney really adds some spice! I would like to see more top level chess tourneys adopt 960!

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I like the random starting position idea, i like that it can even the field by discarding opening books, i like the theory that not every battle starts with a uniform and even opening position. Its certainly an eye opener and a challenge that requires new thought.

But its like a whole new game to dedicate yourself too, and i dont think i mastered the old game (erm, chess).

For british types, its like 20/20 cricket. Is it going to take off? Is it better cricket (more entertaining, yes, but "better"?). Its like when one day games first arrived, they were novelties. But eventually became the most popular kind of cricket. What is 960? Is it here to stay or just a fad?

For USA based people, its like arena football. Its played indoors, smaller field, less players, higher scoring and a faster game. Its just like gridiron! Only its not. Its better on paper. But maybe not in practice.

I'm happy the tournament got up, i'm glad i'm trying it. But i couldnt say yet i am enjoying it or could see myself playing another game of 960 after this.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I won my first game of Chess960, giving me 1 win and 6 losses for the tournament. Getting the win was a huge relief, it means i wont go through the tournament without a win and have to do a lap of the chess board with no pants.