Angkorfest 2017 - Asia Pacific ASL Open

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Yeah definitely going - waiting for the 6-8 week sweetspot to book my flights - generally fares this far out are way overpriced. I should be able to get to Siem Reap for about $550 return, although that's with Chinese Airlines so I'd rather take the Hit via Singapore

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
THE ANGKORFEST SCENARIO LIST IS UP .. along with a SECRET ROUND at the end.

The SECRET ROUND is the final round where everyone plays a yet undisclosed scenario, which will only be disclosed 15 mins before the start.

angkorfest.wordpress.com

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Not a bad bunch......

One typo I noticed, though. VotG-09 "Eviction Notice" is not from Journal 11 (its from the VotG HASL Module).

A good scenario, too. I remember Vlad See and myself playing it a few years back and quite enjoying it.

John.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not a bad bunch......

One typo I noticed, though. VotG-09 "Eviction Notice" is not from Journal 11 (its from the VotG HASL Module).

A good scenario, too. I remember Vlad See and myself playing it a few years back and quite enjoying it.

John.
Corrected! Thanks much!

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
IMO "Eviction Notice" would be the only scenario worth playing from Round 1. "Ultimate Treachery" is OK if you give the Japanese the balance, I suppose. "Jungle Fighters" is a festering pile of steaming feces. I'm not that familiar with many of the others, although I query using 2 BFP B&J scenarios in Round 4; it seems oddly limiting. (And while "Abandon Ship" is a perfectly decent scenario, since the entire point of the scenario is getting the Americans to run away safely, it also seems contrary to the theme of "the Allies fight back". For that matter, "Frogs in the Pocket" is not so much the Allies "fighting back" as "mopping up recalcitrant defenders".) (I'm not saying the Round 4 scenario choices are bad, just that the round appears to be oddly titled.)

A moot point for me, any way, as it's quite unlikely that I'll be attending, much as I wish it were otherwise.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ANGKORFEST 2017 IS OPEN FOR REGISTRATION

If you intend to go, please register NOW. Life might intervene, we will deal with it together as friends do.

https://www.meetup.com/Asia-Pacific-ASL/events/238163143/

If you have already registered with Raphael Ferry by paying the fees, please register on Meetup also and we will mark you off as PAID.

Please - I need your help in getting an accurate count for the tourney, ASAP!!

Any question - please let me know!!!

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
ANGKORFEST 2017 IS OPEN FOR REGISTRATION

If you intend to go, please register NOW. Life might intervene, we will deal with it together as friends do.

https://www.meetup.com/Asia-Pacific-ASL/events/238163143/

If you have already registered with Raphael Ferry by paying the fees, please register on Meetup also and we will mark you off as PAID.

Please - I need your help in getting an accurate count for the tourney, ASAP!!

Any question - please let me know!!!
I'm still 90% confident of going but still can't commit at this time until that other 10% of life has firmed up.

Cheers
Jon

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have my hotel room reserved and will buy tickets about 2 months prior to. (mid-May)

Looking forward to adding to my collection of ASL goodness (should the dice Gods favor me)!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is a tough year. My clients and I had our share of struggles, personally and/or professionally, just like the rest of us. There are indeed moments when I thought: I gotta take care of this, I can’t be spending this much time with ASL. To all of my brothers, with our challenges big and small, I understand.

We understand.

We understand we are not “spending this much time with ASL”. We are "spending this much time" with fellow travellers in this journey of life. We might not always see each other at every tourney, we certainly hope to see each other in the next.

What we have are brothers across our ASL tables.

What we have is a more fortunate group of attendees, a more fanatical group, though smaller in numbers.

Smaller in numbers but yet LARGER than life.

The tourney goes on. ANGKORFEST 2017 goes on!

Raphaël & Alan will work out an amended budget and a more fitting venue. I will work out more appropriate arrangements with our sponsors.

We are, however, looking for help from the worldwide ASL community - for a quest that even brotherhood don’t suffice.

We need an AWESOME tshirt design (and a trophy design). Please contact us.

Rgds Jack

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I have been considering an adventure in Cambodia but the this last post is a little unclear. Is the city or hotel changing? Are the dates firm? I checked the site but I am not sure it is updated with new information. Please advise, here or PM is fine. If there have been some setbacks, I am sorry to hear this.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have been considering an adventure in Cambodia but the this last post is a little unclear. Is the city or hotel changing? Are the dates firm? I checked the site but I am not sure it is updated with new information. Please advise, here or PM is fine. If there have been some setbacks, I am sorry to hear this.
:) I apologize for the writing. The only setback here is that it doesn't appear that we will get the same # of people as we did last year at Manila.
  • The city is firm
  • The dates are firm
  • The website is updated with new information.
  • The venue is changing - we have people in country doing the research right now.
It'll be lovely to see you there!

Warm regards ,
Jack

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It's always the way. When you are 905 confident of going, the other 10% will rear its head and put a spanner in the works.

As a result I am unfortunately not going to be able to make it to Angkorfest 2017 :(

Hoping there will be an Asia-Pacific tournament in 2018

Cheers
Jon

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry to hear that Jon.

I got a confirmation from the Victor Angkor hotel. I got lodging in Singapore for the overnight stay on the way back. It doesn't look like I can look at all the scenarios in time but it does appear I will be playing a few games in the shadows of Angkor Wat.

That's the magic, ain't it?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here's a notice from our TD Alan Smee ...

"I’ve changed a scenario in the 4th round. BFP65 “Frogs in the Pocket” has been replaced by FT139 “Ride of the 200th”."

Details updated on https://angkorfest.wordpress.com/ .. you can REGISTER now. Only 9 weeks, 8 hours 50 mins to go ..