And so it begins....

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today I did something I haven't done in almost a decade: I opened a set of minis and washed them in some soap and water to get 'em ready for the coming of the Great Paintening. :D

I have to say it felt good even if I didn't get anything else done (I couldn't have even if I wanted to - which I did - because today's inventory revealed that 75% of my paint collection was dried up, and I don't have any super glue either. :( I wonder if a hot glue gun works with minis?).

I have to admit that it felt good to dabble in a non-PC gaming hobby for a change. I've been tethered to a mouse and keyboard for so long that I forgot it was possible to have some fun off of the thing! :D

I am really excited to get started with minis again. First off, I never really got into them that much (around 2002? 2003? ) because just as I discovered Warhammer 40K (my first true minis experience) the great PC boom arrived and promptly stole my attention. So what little dabbling I did was just that: dabbling that was aborted before it really ever began.

The second reason I am excited is because I discovered an old piece of plywood that I once used for my toy train set back oh so many years ago. It is even covered with that grass-like paper I see a lot of minis wargamers use! I can't wait to take off the tracks and electronics and promptly turn it into a gaming table! This alone will add a whole new dimension to my minis experience (I used to just use a plain desk when I toyed around with my hastily painted beginners set of 40K - which desperately needs to be repainted. :) For some reason, it's not as much fun to play that way. :D).

On a related note: can someone recommend some good minis reading material? Like a good overview book for ideas and the state of the hobby (I'm thinking of something along the lines of Perla's excellent The Art of Wargaming, or Dunnigan's classic The Complete Wargamer's Handbook?)

Thanks!

PS: Here's a completely pointless but strangely refreshing screensho....er, photo of the cleaned minis (Steve Jackson's OGRE):

View attachment 35112

I can already tell I'm gonna need to order some reinforcements (just one Minotaur howitzer in the set?!? :angry:)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got around to priming my minis today. This is something new for me as I never primed before. I used Testors grey primer in a spray can; it took about a minute to prime a dozen minis, so I am pleased. I am curious to see how it affects the quality of my painting.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Glad to see you jumping back into the hobby. Im looking forward to seeing some of your painted minis and your gaming table!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to see you jumping back into the hobby. Im looking forward to seeing some of your painted minis and your gaming table!
You'll see them only if they come out halfway decent. :D As for the gaming table, I need to dig it out. I know where it is, but haven't gotten at it yet. I hope it is in good shape.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good luck!

I never had a gaming table (well, until my friend's dad built us one). We used books, shoes, clothes, and whatever else we could get our hands on to make terrain.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the nice things I am learning about the world of minis is that you can do a lot on a dime these days. Makes a cheapskate like me happy. :)