Anatoly's Ambush SP255 : Fun & Replayable

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played but did not finish the game because the wife had other plans for Sat night.
I hope to get to play this all the way through soon, maybe at Chicago.

VC:
The Germans can win by exiting 2 tanks(can have MA malfunctioned) and taking the 3 stone buildings or clearing all of the Russian AFV's from on/adjacent to the road.
The Russian set up 5 tanks HIP and are forced to be revealed on turn 4.

German Strategy:
Use most of the infantry supported by a few tanks to clear the way to the stone buildings.
The rest of the tanks get into position to exit or take out tanks on the road.
I split the forces but it may be replayable with a concentrated strategy either against the road or the village. The hardest part seems to be exiting the 2 tanks since they must exit on 1 of the 3 road hexes.
Russian strategy:
Stay HIP Adjacent to the road and use the reinforcing tanks to block off one or more of the exit hexes. ATG at back of the village with LOS to one of the exit road hexes.

I lost 1 tank to a scouting mission along the road but it only revealed 1 tank.
I sent 2 tanks along each flank to be prepared to exit. My infantry ground its way through the town and eventually took the stone buildings. We did not get to finish our game but it was going to be next to impossible for me to clear the road and getting the 2 tanks off was going to be dicey on the last turn.

I think that this is an exciting and fun game with VC that make it replayable because multiple attack and defense strategies can be tried. Early war tanks makes even MG/ATR having a decent chance of taking out tanks.

2 Thumbs up.

Stan

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree. May favor the Germans a bit after my first playing, but who knows. Fun for sure. Look for it on the St Louis list for July.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also thought it may favor the Germs, but placement of the initial crapolla Russian tanks to maximize their lethality and minimize their vulnerabilities, and ability to put suppressive fire on the advancing Kraut infantry goes a long way to evening this one out. If the Germans get into the village quickly, their FP with the addition of the combat multipliers of their armor will make short work of the Russians. Liked it as well.