Anand is #1

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anand is number one chess player in the world

New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) India's Viswanathan Anand was formally crowned world No. 1 Monday when the world chess governing body corrected its mistake and gave the pride of place to the grandmaster.

Anand, with 2,786 rating points, becomes numero uno following his triumph at the Morelia-Linares tournament in Spain last month - the last tournament taken into calculation for determining the rankings.
Good for him! May his reign be long! :clap: He is both talented and humble - a rarity amongst grandmasters. :D

And I wonder how innocent FIDE's mistake actually was....That org has always been the lapdog of Eastern European chessmasters....

Lurker

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've followed any of championships. Do they still have two federations, and if so who's the champ of the other one?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, I think there were three competing federations (FIDE, PCA, and some newer other one) at one time. PCA has folded and I think the third one never really got off the ground. FIDE, with all its warts, still is the primary international chess organization.