An updated Red Barricades map or not?

Do you want an updated Red Barricades Map released.

• Yes

Votes: 74 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I voted yes, have pre-ordered two copies of "Red Factories", and am very happy that MMP is publishing "Red Barricades" together with "Red October".

Deep into "Festung Budapest" CGs since it's release; as soon as "Red Factories" arrives, we will get into the big combined CG.

Kudos to MMP for this - top notch, as usual!

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I say, let Charlie K. decide. He's the guy who brought RB to begin with and has the best eye for what's needed.
Forget all the LOS / TEM stuff - there's so many variables involved in the play of the game which have a greater impact on who wins / loses.
Let the chips fall where they may.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why this page here. Look for the Red Barricades v2 link.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
75% of players want an updated RB map. I think MMP ought to listen to this voice. If it comes to the crunch they ought to produce TWO maps to please all parties. Put one in RF and the other on pre-order.

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
It's 2016. People can incorporate improvements from VOTG or elsewhere and write up pdfs of the rules then host them online for others who are interested. The VASL RBv2 map has high production standards.

Some like the 'official' stamp of approval from the high priests at MMP. But for the rest of us we can do as we please.

I understand why the MMP people won't invest the time and effort in a revamp. What they produced would not please all of the people all of the time. Ergo damned if the do and if they don't. Better they focus on new materials and then keeping the core modules available in some form.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's 2016. People can incorporate improvements from VOTG or elsewhere and write up pdfs of the rules then host them online for others who are interested. The VASL RBv2 map has high production standards.

Some like the 'official' stamp of approval from the high priests at MMP. But for the rest of us we can do as we please.

I understand why the MMP people won't invest the time and effort in a revamp. What they produced would not please all of the people all of the time. Ergo damned if the do and if they don't. Better they focus on new materials and then keeping the core modules available in some form.

This is the problem, if it is not 'official' some will not touch it, wierd, but there you go, I am all for adapting and such, bring it, but just stand by to be chastized by those who fear non 'official' change etc.:D

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
Indeed. If you build it they will come. The only cost is your time and if you are having fun then that is no loss.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
75% of players want an updated RB map. I think MMP ought to listen to this voice. If it comes to the crunch they ought to produce TWO maps to please all parties. Put one in RF and the other on pre-order.
Scan the map, scan the overlays, assemble in Photoshop, print, done.

ragngand

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The old edition is a stunning 27 years old, with the fall of the Berlin Wall and perestrojka alot of new information has been amassed, it would seem going backwards to print a map in 2017 with details from 1989 and then print a set of overlays for the new information along with overlays for rubbled factories etc.

MMP, bring us a new map of Red Barricades, the old map will be in abundance for those wanting to stay in ancient history.

robh91

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The old edition is a stunning 27 years old, with the fall of the Berlin Wall and perestrojka alot of new information has been amassed, it would seem going backwards to print a map in 2017 with details from 1989 and then print a set of overlays for the new information along with overlays for rubbled factories etc.

MMP, bring us a new map of Red Barricades, the old map will be in abundance for those wanting to stay in ancient history.
I guess the flipside is that the original map has had 27 years of playing and is a "classic". Leave the master piece as it is! If people want to make ASL a better "simulation" of ww2 squad combat I think there are other areas to look at than geographical changes to a HASL board.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I might be in the minority, but I'd like to see the original map reprinted with a metric F-ton of overlays that can change the terrain to suit different time periods. At the same time, the CGs should probably remain their same "classic" selves. But, the overlays would allow individuals or third-parties to design new CGs making use of the overlays, etc, etc. The best of both worlds IMHO.

Don't be afraid of overlays. Drop $10 for removable tape (http://www.staples.com/Scotch-Removable-Tape-811-3-4-x-36-yds-1-Core/product_738006), which will last the rest of your ASL career, and you'll be all set.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh great...just 27,000,000 different versions of the RB map...hurray. o_O

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It doesn't matter to me.

I just want Red Oktober and its scenarios as I no longer am interested in campaign games. But, I really enjoy scenarios on historical maps. If the RO scenarios are anything like the Valor of the Guards scenarios in quality and number, then we are in for a treat. The VotG scenarios are still the best set of HASL scenarios ever. Unfortunately, the Red Barricades scenarios are not that good. The Festung Budapest scenarios were good too.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It doesn't matter to me.

I just want Red Oktober and its scenarios as I no longer am interested in campaign games. But, I really enjoy scenarios on historical maps. If the RO scenarios are anything like the Valor of the Guards scenarios in quality and number, then we are in for a treat. The VotG scenarios are still the best set of HASL scenarios ever. Unfortunately, the Red Barricades scenarios are not that good. The Festung Budapest scenarios were good too.
Same here. However, if you're going to go through the effort of learning the RO SSRs, then you should play several of the scenarios in a row. And by "you" I mean "we". Sounds like a date.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Same here. However, if you're going to go through the effort of learning the RO SSRs, then you should play several of the scenarios in a row. And by "you" I mean "we". Sounds like a date.
I love to see a youthful bromance flower in public:p

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh great...just 27,000,000 different versions of the RB map...hurray. o_O
Seldom in nature are possible permutations equal to an even round number but in this case...27 million is the right answer. I thought it'd be 42.