An Updated ASLRB Service: What Would You Pay?

I'd pay at most $X per year for such a service

• Nothing!

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • $25

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • $50

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • $100

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • $200

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • (Some other response - see my comment below)

Votes: 9 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I answered Nothing, but am part of the eASLRB crowd. I have my own, full html, that I update with each errata, etc. that comes out. Why would I pay for something I enjoy doing myself? In fact, those of us who have developed our own eALSRBs actually have the full updated rulebook already.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
This statement presumes that some other person or organization (not yourself, perhaps?) could/would create one faster than MMP. That requires considerable imagination and chutzpah. Did you have anyone in mind when you blurted that opinion out?
Given the number of fan e-creations, it's clearly not a matter of could or would. MMP is the only entity (I know of) legally allowed to do so and that's pretty much a deal killer for anyone to distribute an e-rulebook openly.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm wondering if the best method would be to include an update to an eASLRB in the cost of a journal.
Of course, then the ones who do not use an electronic format would complain....

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Given the number of fan e-creations, it's clearly not a matter of could or would. MMP is the only entity (I know of) legally allowed to do so and that's pretty much a deal killer for anyone to distribute an e-rulebook openly.
Wait, these are the forums! You're not allowed to MAKE SENSE here!

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I picked "nothing" because $25 a year for what I would expect at this point to be only a few new lines of new errata seems excessive unless the rulebook itself is being given away practically for free. (And I would much rather pay, say, $100 to get a third edition rulebook.)

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems to me that if there's indeed a 16 year old trying to play the game today, that's likely to be the demographics who want the ASLRB on PDF.

I like the chutzpah though.

I want the Korea module - Get it done.
I want Red Factory - Get it done.
I want the Partisan module - Get it done.
I want Kohima - Get it done.
I want cheaper shipping from the US - Get it done.
I want a big house, a large table, beers in the fridge, friends with nothing to do and tons of money so I can play ASL all day - Get it done.
I am 67 and I want a electronic rulebook. I also do not mind a subscription that gives MMP a steady source of reliable income so as to make sure they have enough capital to adequately fund printing the necessary modules. Face it MMP is somewhat of a shoestring operation that lacks the necessary resources to adequately fund their operation. This is meant as no slight on them as they do remarkably well with what they have.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A one time fee and free updates
Basically this.

The one thing that I will definitively NOT do is paying for some kind of subscription and do not know what I will get in what intervals.

I want control over what I buy, not promises or hopes (not dissing MMP here, but just my general point of view).

So I voted "Nothing" in the poll because I do not support the subscription model.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Is 8.5x11 paper hard to get in the EU and UK? The local office supply places here in the US sell A4. They even have sheet protectors in that size.
Basically all the world except the US (and very few others) do not use DIN-A-4. So there's usually no need for 8.5x11 anywhere else. That's why it is difficult to get/expensive in comparion to DIN-A-4 in Europe.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This statement presumes that some other person or organization (not yourself, perhaps?) could/would create one faster than MMP. That requires considerable imagination and chutzpah. Did you have anyone in mind when you blurted that opinion out?
Pitman has a point. It's a long time since ASLRB v2.

And besides: There are a number of eASLRBs out there that have at least all Errata incorporated or even Q&A. Of course, what these can't do is to reword the rules for clarifications. This could only be done by an "official" ASLRB v3.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
MMP should stop wasting their time with printed versions altogether.
I don't subscribe to this point of view.

A cardboard game needs printed rules. Maybe oldfashioned but that's how I see it.

Otherwise you could in the same way argue to drop printed boards & counters and go for the electronic only VASL-like version using something like a large tablet. Still, VASL & an eASLRB are nice but no absolute substitute.

von Marwitz

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A cardboard game needs printed rules. Maybe oldfashioned but that's how I see it.
Nothing prevents the individual player from printing a copy. If done right, it could be printed on A4 or US letter based on the owner's preference. What would be needed would be charts.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Of course, these are the responses of veteran players who have already bought the goods in print. The unknown market segment is how many new players without our binders, pocket rulebooks, errata and Q&A would be willing to shell out for the e-service.
I do not understand. Is the rulebook not in print?

Plus the poll asks how much we would spend a year for a service to update the rulebook. What does being a veteran player have to do with it?

I mean offense, I just do not understand the point (but it has been a long day and I am tired SMILE)

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I don't subscribe to this point of view.

A cardboard game needs printed rules.
Totally agree........ I do not like using tablet nor laptop when I an gaming at the table. I do use eASLRB when playing VASL and when internet surfing......

Peace

Roger

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone have an idea just how many people regularly play ASL?
Not many. And getting fewer each year.

However, if the focus is on new products and continued production of old products, the better question is, how many people are buying new ASL products? MMP should have a pretty good idea (as everyone buys an MMP product even if they don't buy TPP products), although it's probably not something they are willing to divulge.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the 21st century. Time to go all digital. If people want paper, then offer a print on demand version for $xx.00. I still think a low priced subscription service is the way to go and in IMHO, is the only option that makes business sense in today's economy. But to each his own.

My $0.02,
MikeS

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I do not understand. Is the rulebook not in print?

Plus the poll asks how much we would spend a year for a service to update the rulebook. What does being a veteran player have to do with it?

I mean offense, I just do not understand the point (but it has been a long day and I am tired SMILE)

Peace

Roger
Hey, Roger, all I was trying to say is that this is a poll with a very select audience - people already playing the game who have most of the stuff and who participate in this forum. As such, it may not reflect what a larger market segment wants/needs, not to mention the segment of future players who don't yet realize that they want the ASLRB. Cheers!