An Updated ASLRB Service: What Would You Pay?

I'd pay at most $X per year for such a service

• Nothing!

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • $25

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • $50

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • $100

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • $200

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • (Some other response - see my comment below)

Votes: 9 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Little game of semantics, not helpful if you ask me. You can do better than that.
While it appears to be just semantics, I was strongly objecting to the tone of entitlement, it's not like the right to vote.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I think you are wrong. The promise of ASL, when it was released, was that the rules would be regularly updated. Coupons were even included to that effect.
That was with V1 and we indeed got updated pages for V1 and eventually a V2 which did not have such coupons. I, like you, would like to see a V3, ideally in both paper (binder and mini) and digital form and would happily buy them, but I do not feel I am entitled to them.

Wedge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Considering just about every other board game has a PDF version of a rule book I would like a PDF BUT I know that is not going to happen.

I can see them using an ebook type of system in order to utilize accessibility without having to worry too much about piracy.

You would pay 1 fee for version 1.0 which includes updates through v1.99.

Then when a major update
occurs you would have to purchase version 2.0 - v2.99.

Kind of like the x-plane business model for any of you flight sim pilots out there.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think you are wrong. The promise of ASL, when it was released, was that the rules would be regularly updated. Coupons were even included to that effect.
That promise, such as it was, was made by The Avalon Hill Game Company. Perhaps you can sue them.

JR

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not trust corporations, the point I am making is that no corporate promises (any corporation) can be relied upon. How many times has MMP/Avalon Hill said a product was coming and it either did not arrive or was delayed for years? As an example, I remember back when they promised a PTO module for Squad Leader (before ASL) never showed. I suspect it is not really their fault as they do not have the funding but none the less one has to take some of this stuff with a grain of salt.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would do a subscription, but more along the lines of $5 (or say $50 for 10 years).

My vision would be sort of like a wiki, but where only about 5 people could make updates and those guys get half the cash (or free stuff from MMP while they continue their work).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Still waiting for the play by mail chapter.
And actually glad that it did not see the light of day.
Non held promises do have some merits.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The way we played play-by-email in the early 90's (those few of us who had heard of email) would have almost worked for play-by-mail, and is conceptually close to what a VASL log does it. The problem is of course the MPh, because it's the only one that has a lot of interaction; you'd write actions one per line, leaving some blank lines, and the reader would print the message and read it line by line, stopping where needed. It made for slow games, and would have been worse with snail mail, of course.

I don't know what TAHGC had in mind for play-by-mail; maybe some adaptation of the rules, which would have been made more and more difficult as the rules were expanded. But I guess we'll never know...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There was a chapter listed in the first pages of the rulebook, as well as a chapter about tactics.
They never were created.
Of course, there have been articles on the latter topic.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There was a chapter listed in the first pages of the rulebook, as well as a chapter about tactics.
They never were created.
Maybe that's what Jim Stahler is working on, which has recently been the object of another thread. ;)

von Marwitz

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would do a subscription, but more along the lines of $5 (or say $50 for 10 years).

My vision would be sort of like a wiki, but where only about 5 people could make updates and those guys get half the cash (or free stuff from MMP while they continue their work).
That's a great idea (needs some discipline/procedures though), but i doubt MMP would relinquish control over the rule corpus (which is a pity).

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I just want them to rewrite the ******* thing once and for all. Screw the errata, put Ken Dunn on it and let Perry and Klas have a break for a change! ;-)

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Still waiting for the play by mail chapter.
And actually glad that it did not see the light of day.
Non held promises do have some merits.
Here is a scan of the pocket ASLRB page.
I was wrong : there is a chapter about online ASL.
I predict that chapters I, L and M won't ever see the light of day (and I don't mind that fact).
ASLRB (Medium).jpg

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
As someone who hasn't even bought a v2, I wouldn't pay.
In all my years of playing, i think there have been maybe a couple of games where not being up to date has made a difference to how I've played, so subscription errata is very low bang for buck to me.
But then again, I'm firmly in the camp that believes its tactics, not minute in depth knowledge of the rules that makes a good player ☺ . The few times I've been 'v2'd, its just a case of shrug and readjust.
Yes, I'd love to be up to date. But I've got other things to spend my money on ☺

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
But then again, I'm firmly in the camp that believes its tactics, not minute in depth knowledge of the rules that makes a good player ☺ .
I firmly believe that both aspects are complementary.
Superficial knowledge of the rules doesn't allow to apply good tactics.
Knowledge of the rules cannot replace the gift of grasping the tactical situation correctly and applying the appropriate measures to reach one's goals.