Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An Intriguing Problem

An intriguing problem....

Black to move:

From Your Back Rank:

I have White pieces and I don’t have any back rank issues (my King has h2-sqaure), but Black does have a problem. Although it doesn't seem easy for White to get to the back rank....
What would you do? :hmmm:

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Solution is as follows:

The task in hand was to get rid of the Ne7 and I found the solution – 1. Nf5!! Black resigned. After 1…exf5 2.Qxc8+ Nxc8 and, suddenly, the Rook on e1 has its path to e8 cleared – like a magic, all three pieces (Ne3,Pe6,Ne7) have vanished and the defender (Rc8) is gone as well! 3.Re8#. All other Black's response would lead to losing a ton of material.

The best way to avoid getting in trouble with the back rank is finding a time to give your King some breezing room by advancing one of the pawns that protect him. In fact, sometimes it is worth playing even though there might be other, more lucrative options.

Lurker

Reaction score
That's a wonderful solution! Unfortunately I looked ahead because I couldn't see the extra bishop and pawn you mentioned. :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Darn it! I copied the wrong set-up text! :rolleyes:

Geez, if I can't even copy the right text, what chance do I have over the chess board?!? :D

PS: The text is now corrected.

Last edited: