An expanded terrain effects chart?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does it make sense to add some of the "common" HASL terrain types to the terrain effects chart? Things such as Pine Woods, Barbed Wire fences, Slopes, etc.? If so, is anyone interested in helping to crowd-source the entries? For example a "Pine Woods" entry might read:

Terrain: Pine Woods (P1)
Example: St KK13
LOS Obstacle/Hindrance: Level-Two
TEM/Indirect: +1/-1
Infantry: 1 1/2 R
Cavalry: 3 C R
Horse Drawn: ALL B R
Motorcycle: NA P R
Armored Car: ALL B R
Fully Tracked: ALL B*/Z D R
Halftrack: ALL B R
Truck: ALL B R
Kindle/Spread: 9/7
Fortifiable: Yes
Notes: If no road, VBM, or TB

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
It would make sense to have all of the official HASL terrain added to the Terrain Effects Chart.

How can I help?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure I would catch all the nuances in translating the rules into the chart (esp. for things to include or exclude from the notes section). First thing would be to come up with a list of all items to be added. Off the top of my head I can think of the following possibilities for the ETO chart: Barbed Wire, Pine Woods, Slopes, and Irrigation Ditches (unless we restrict it to only those which have appeared in multiple HASLs). Others?

Last edited:

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure I would catch all the nuances in translating the rules into the chart (esp. for thing to include or exclude from the notes section). First thing would be to come up with a list of all items to be added. Off the top of my head I can think of the following possibilities for the ETO chart: Barbed Wire, Pine Woods, Slopes, and Irrigation Ditches (unless we restrict it to only those which have appeared in multiple HASLs). Others?

Not sure off the top of my head, but let me do a little research this weekend.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure I would catch all the nuances in translating the rules into the chart (esp. for things to include or exclude from the notes section). First thing would be to come up with a list of all items to be added. Off the top of my head I can think of the following possibilities for the ETO chart: Barbed Wire, Pine Woods, Slopes, and Irrigation Ditches (unless we restrict it to only those which have appeared in multiple HASLs). Others?
Debris for sure as most HASLs seem to follow those rule introduced way back in RB. Some rules already contain references to Debris effects though the terrain type is not really spelled out in the official ASLRB.

I would limit the additions to "officially" produced HASLs though as to include TPPs could/would entail quite an extensive addition at limited value.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My plan was "official" HASLs only. Not that I don't have lots of TPP products, it would just become too unwieldy to include everything. Also I'm really leaning towards only including things that appear in multiple HASLs for the same reason.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After a scan of my HASL RBs here's the list for possible inclusion. These appear in multiple HASLs and/or the RB:

Narrow Streets
Debris
Wide City Boulevards
Slopes
Barbed Wire Fences
Partial Orchards

These appear in a single HASL only:

Pine Woods
Stream-Pine Woods
Irrigation Ditches

I don't think I missed anything, but let me know if I have.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can see multi-material buildings as being included in future projects as well, including geo-board presentations. Perhaps a bit premature to make a solid judgement but there's been at least one TPP that has already used these and they certainly were included in Sword & Fire officially. I'm less sure of Adobe or Steel structures as these tended to be few and overall effects marginal (as opposed to being in numbers along with stone and wooden buildings in the same setting) but perhaps worth consideration. JMO