Amphibious Bog

ScottD

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll try this again with the correct question this time: We have an amphibious vehicle with 2 amphib MP exiting a deep River with no current. It takes a bog check and fails. 1) It is considered bogged in the River hex it was attempting to leave, correct? 2) Is it no longer in Motion in that River hex? 3) If it tries to unBog in the next turn, does it use land MP or amphib MP to unBog with? 4) If it immobilizes, is it and all passengers eliminated? Thanks for any help. ScottD

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
1) Yes.

2) No. Amphibians in Water are always in Motion (D16.2)

3) I'd say amphibious MP, since you're still in a Water Obstacle. Tough on the amphibian...

4) Nope. It drifts (or not, in this case); see D16.22

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ScottD said:
IWe have an amphibious vehicle with 2 amphib MP exiting a deep River with no current.
Why is it taking a Bog check?

ScottD

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D16.23 Amphibians must check for Bog (8.2) in waterline hexes when moving from Water Obstacle to land hexes.

ScottD

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chris Milne said:
3) I'd say amphibious MP, since you're still in a Water Obstacle. Tough on the amphibian...
Thanks for the reply, Chris. Although I agree with you in this case, do you have any rules section or Q&A to back up your answer?

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nothing that clearly applies to this situation. I based it on the principle that the vehicle is still in the Water obstacle, and therefore would be spending amphibious MP. When stunned or shocked in Water, they must spend an amphibious MP to start, and this is analogous.

But it does seem harsh - no amphibian is going to have any MP left after you make that Bog removal roll. Might be worth a clarification from Perry...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chris Milne said:
But it does seem harsh - no amphibian is going to have any MP left after you make that Bog removal roll. Might be worth a clarification from Perry...
Worse than that, if it is bogged in a water obsticle, does it still drift with the current?

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
According to the rules. The bogging is clearly only affecting forward movement - sideways is something completely different. Though even as you're swept fifty metres downstream, you'll still be stuck :)

I can see a Mired DUKW drifting downriver as I type...